Ohhhh man this stinks. Updated

-
I friend messaged me and she wasn’t sure how quick it was but never slowed up. Picture of the truck and I’m guessing his kids.

IMG_9797.jpeg

Always sorry to hear about these types of things. My heart goes out to his family, and if you knew him, please convey my condolences.

Jim

I didn’t hear a name yet but I don’t recognize the truck. 1/4 mile test n tune and nostalgia race today.

Wow, that's horrible.
I'm sure God knows him without a name so I'll send one up to him.

Wow, that's horrible.
I'm sure God knows him without a name so I'll send one up to him.

His name was released in the link above.

NEW ALEXANDRIA, Pa. — A man is dead after crashing a vehicle at Keystone Raceway.

The Westmoreland County coroner said Ronnie John Ruggiero, 37, from Irwin, was drag racing a pickup at the track.

While racing, Ruggiero crashed into a gravel safety pit at a high rate of speed after not stopping at the end of the track. His vehicle came to a stop at a sand mound.

His name was released in the link above.

NEW ALEXANDRIA, Pa. — A man is dead after crashing a vehicle at Keystone Raceway.

The Westmoreland County coroner said Ronnie John Ruggiero, 37, from Irwin, was drag racing a pickup at the track.

While racing, Ruggiero crashed into a gravel safety pit at a high rate of speed after not stopping at the end of the track. His vehicle came to a stop at a sand mound.
Thanks I guess I should open it up and read it.

Terrible. Prayers for his family.

I wonder if it could have been a heart attack. The article said he was wearing all his safety equipment.

I wonder if it could have been a heart attack. The article said he was wearing all his safety equipment.
That could be. I thought the throttle stuck but all he would need to do is throw a switch or two.

I wonder if it could have been a heart Ed to another fattack. The article said he was wearing all his safety equipment.

My friend talked to another friend that was in the other lane and he thinks it was a Health issue. They kinda have an idea but I won’t comment on that at this time.

I give my condolences. Heartbreaking it happened while his kids might have been there.

My friends that knew him said he went out doing what he loved. We all know this can happen and it’s a risk we are willing to take.

Small update

Many of you may have heard about the tragic accident this past Saturday at my home track, my home away from home, Keystone Raceway. Thank you to the dear friends who reached out to me and asked if I was ok, and offer their condolences on the loss of a fellow racer. I didn’t know Ronnie personally, but I had seen him and the truck a few times, and always thought the truck was a cool ride. While this wasn’t a racing related accident (he had a widowmaker heart attack while racing), it happened at the track, and as racers, we accept the inherit risks that come from pushing vehicles to their max performance and speeds. I feel for Ronnie as a fellow racer, and I really for his long time partner and their 2 kids. I also feel for the track personnel who worked hard to extricate and save him. That is a lot to process, and obviously traumatic. Please take care of yourselves out there, your health, physical and mental, and remember life is too short for the petty things to bring you down. Keep things in perspective, keep positive, and be grateful for all the people who love us, as well as the basic things we take for granted.

As I mentioned, I didn’t know Ronnie personally. But he was a fellow racer, and a fellow human who has loved ones devastated by his loss. If you are so inclined, there is a gofundme page to help his family, on the link.

I should have mentioned on the above post this was written by my friend Chuck a longtime friend and employee at Keystone. He was out of town announcing at a big points run off in Maryland.

Oh man, that really sucks. We had a pretty bad wreck at our track last Thursday at a private track event. Guy was on a license pass with his just finished (and beautiful) 69 Dart GTS. He survived but broke 2 vertebrae.

-
Back