Oil Additives? Anyone ever used?

-

roylerumble

Reaction score
I know new over the counter oils lack some of the components older oils had like zinc, and there are oils available out there for flat tappet lifter and cams, but has anyone ever used additives like "Cam-shield"?

Diesel oil still has plenty of zinc. Get it spec's for trucks, not clean diesel cars. Very important for break in, not critical for a broken in cam as it has hardened itself pretty good by now.

Im not a big fan of the additives but its all personal preference. The higher the nominal level of phosphorous and zinc the more the oil contains. I run mobil one 15w-50 in my 340 and has got 1200 ppm phosphorous and 1300 ppm of zinc, i compared the levels of mobil one to that of the lucas muscle car oil and the mobil one is higher on phosphorous and zinc. But look on the website of the oil that you use, the should be able to provide you with a phosphorous and zinc ppm content of each specified weight of oil

It's difficult to keep up with the ever changing formulations. But even the newer diesel truck oils have reduced zinc and phosporous content. Playing chemist isn't the best idea either. Getting whats "right" to begin with is the best way to go.

Here is what's available from Amsoil:

[ame]http://www.amsoil.com/techservicesbulletin/motoroil/tsb%20mo-2007-08-08%20flat%20tappet.pdf[/ame]

It's difficult to keep up with the ever changing formulations. But even the newer diesel truck oils have reduced zinc and phosporous content.

You got that right. My company is looking into a different oil after eating three cams in three different trucks, mine was one of them.

It's difficult to keep up with the ever changing formulations. But even the newer diesel truck oils have reduced zinc and phosporous content. Playing chemist isn't the best idea either. Getting whats "right" to begin with is the best way to go.

Here is what's available from Amsoil:

http://www.amsoil.com/techservicesbulletin/motoroil/tsb mo-2007-08-08 flat tappet.pdf

X2 better to start off with a oil thats high in zinc and phosphorous content rather than using a low zinc and phosphorous content oil and then trying to put a bunch of additives in with it.

Im not a big fan of the additives but its all personal preference. The higher the nominal level of phosphorous and zinc the more the oil contains. I run mobil one 15w-50 in my 340 and has got 1200 ppm phosphorous and 1300 ppm of zinc, i compared the levels of mobil one to that of the lucas muscle car oil and the mobil one is higher on phosphorous and zinc. But look on the website of the oil that you use, the should be able to provide you with a phosphorous and zinc ppm content of each specified weight of oil

That's what I have used for the last 10 years or so too.

And I highly recommend it

X2^ have been using it for about 4 years now and was recommended to me by the engine builder who built my 340

I use VR1 I've added GM eos, and redline. Break in additive but only about an oz per quart since I'm using a hi zinc oil to begins with

only reason i used the additive is because i had 30 quarts of free valvoline. i use rotella on a regular basis in my small blocks, turbo cars and cummins.

-
Back