Oil change,for the winter storage

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Ok well dare I say it but almost time to put the carssss away,WINTER SOB.I have never change my oil prier to puting it away for the long 5 mouths that it sits.Now I do go out once a month to fire it up.so how critical is it to put in fresh oil.Do you all do it.Canadian winter bah humbug lol.

don't forget to add fuel stabilizer

Anytime I have stored anything, I put tranny fluid down the carb while its running. Smoked like a SOB, make sure if you are storing it inside that tent of yours, that both ends are open, fire the car up and slowly pour some in until it starts smoking thru the exhaust. 2 person job(1 with the trans fluid, and the other making sure it doesnt stall)

Dont forget something like mothballs to keep the mice out!!

Yes, fresh oil....has no particles to cause corrossion. Put plugs in the exhaust to. I'd fire it up every 2 weeks......and do as previously mentioned, the ATF down the carby, and put some sort of cover on the carby ( aircleaner assembly off ).
I'm lucky....drive/ride all year round....don't snow here.

i leave the old oil in the car and change it in the spring. why ruin new oil with the car sitting and collecting condensate..

I change the oil and put stabil in the tank..and fill the coolant system with anti-freeze(run water all summer)..i usually start the car once a month during the winter,but make sure the oil pressure is up before firing it off..

You should change it to get rid of the contaminates in it. Simple fact-oil is cheap-engines aren't.

Garth

Anytime I have stored anything, I put tranny fluid down the carb while its running. Smoked like a SOB, make sure if you are storing it inside that tent of yours, that both ends are open, fire the car up and slowly pour some in until it starts smoking thru the exhaust. 2 person job(1 with the trans fluid, and the other making sure it doesnt stall)

Dont forget something like mothballs to keep the mice out!!
I,d change oil in the spring before firing(sedament from sitting will sit in the bottom of the pan)I also use Downy sheets instead of moth balls(hate the smell of them)Mice hate Downy sheets,I place them in and around the whole car including plug wires.:-D

What does this do?

What does this do?

Tranny fluid down the carb, will help coat the exhaust and help to stop it from rusting. It will also help to coat the cylinder walls, but I would probably pull plugs and spray inside as well.

Good tip Scott with the downy sheets!! I agree the mothballs smell like $hit.

Steve

I have always just changed the oil in the Spring. Have been doing it that way for 25 years with my Dart now, and have never had an issue. What I recently learned was to make sure the gas tank is full, less condensation forms inside, I always did the opposte..oops!

All good advice,me I have never fog the engine nothing just firered it up through the winter,But scott I like the downy sheet thing.

Used oil is loaded with contaminates including acids that play hell with bearings. Imagine what they do in 5 months.

I change my oil a few weeks before and once it gets back home. I use a old factory warehouse, lots here by Detroit. I leave it alone for 3 straight months. I see no reason to start it. It cold but dry inside there.

I do drive it right up till the snow comes and once most the salt is off the roads. That is mid Dec til mid March up here, screw waiting til spring. My car might still be around longer than me...

Really I recall driving hot rods in the winter, was fun--honest. Oh the snow suck but then doing donuts was a breeze:-D

I have always just changed the oil in the Spring. Have been doing it that way for 25 years with my Dart now, and have never had an issue. What I recently learned was to make sure the gas tank is full, less condensation forms inside, I always did the opposte..oops!
Todays gas will go bad in say 30 days,especially in a carb.Just my 2 cents.

The best gas we have here is Shell 91,it has no ethanol in it.

Used oil is loaded with contaminates including acids that play hell with bearings. Imagine what they do in 5 months.

I agree....tore my leaking Moroso POS pan off my 340 to fix the leak, and while in there pulled a main and con rod cap to check the bearings...boy was I surprised to see the acid damage from sitting in storage, (looked like drift wood with wormcarving)had to roll in new bearings in the car or risk crank damage, what a job to do in the car on jack stands. I guess if you fire engine evry two weeks you don't get much acid build up, but what abiout FT cam engines starting in cold weather? This can't be good for them either unless you run high zinc oil which you can't buy at Walmart. I like my HR cam but the cost was high. Good tip Scott, I'll tell my brother who still uses moth balls. He just bought a 64 Valiant 360 - 904.:cheers:

Ok made my mind up,change oil,bounty sheets.Still need to drain water and get anti freeze in there.Thankssss guys.

All my engines including lawn mowers get new oil before being put to bed. As someone said oil is cheap, engines not!!! Stabil in the gas is a no brainer as well.

change oil (acids), then go to local cheap boat place. Buy winter store, start engine, and pour 1/2 in carb, until engine wants no more.

-
Back