Oil filter adapter question?

-

dartkory

Reaction score
The gasket between my oil filter adapter and block started leaking so I took it all apart and cleaned the surfaces and will be putting it back together with a new gasket today when I get off work. So I was just wondering if you guys recommend using gasket sealant on that gasket or if its better without it? I used it when I finished the motor about a year ago. Thanks -kory

Ha,I just went all through this I was told NOT to use any sealant around that gasket. I couldnt get mind to stop leaking around the bolt. I finally did away with it. Good luck to you.

I'd take the adapter off and chuck it, all canadian cars and trucks never came with them and you can change the oil no problem

I would but I don't think my filter would clear my Doug's headers with out the adapter. Plus I don't have the stuff that connects to my block so I can thread my filter to my block. Do you guys think a relocation kit would be a good idea? And if anyone out there is currently using one how do you like it?

Plus would any of you happen to know what the bolt gasket is called or possibly have a pn for it?

I would check and see if you can take it off with you Dougs, I have TTI and it clears with out the adapter.

Take the adapter off. Put a piece of sandpaper on a flat surface and drag the adapter across a few times until the entire surface is shiny. Put the gasket set on without any sealant and you will have no more leaks.

I'd take the adapter off and chuck it, all canadian cars and trucks never came with them and you can change the oil no problem

...........................I personally have had 6 Canadian built cars that came factory with the oil filter adaptor...............kim.........

Mine was leaking about a quart every 100 miles and I figured it was coming from the adapter. I tried tightening the big bolt but it kept leaking and then got the surface flat using the drag across sandpaper trick and put it back together with the gasket set without sealant that I got right from the Chrysler dealer and it never leaked again.

Thanks a lot for that pic. After looking at it I am for sure missing that thick cork gasket. What could that had been causing by missing it?

...........................I personally have had 6 Canadian built cars that came factory with the oil filter adaptor...............kim.........

I've never much seen them and all oil changes are simple, never have problems with oil leaks from filter either without it

Do you all know there is different 90 degree adapters and they take different gaskets . One for the LA and one for the Magnum. On the LA the center is recessed , Reason for the thick cork gasket. On the magnum it is flush

I put a oil filter relocation kit on the 318 in my Barracuda, and it leaks with the small gasket that came with the kit. I'm hoping to take the adapter off the block and put a larger gasket on it - taking one off the top of an oil filter - and seeing if that helps. It's only a small leak so hopefully a larger gasket will work. I do have a high volume oil pump so maybe that's the reason for my small leak. Even though it's a small leak, it drips on my headers and makes quite a lot of smoke - kinda embarrassing sitting at a light!

I just ordered em, and yeah I only noticed smoke when I got on it so I'm hoping that is the cause for the smoke I was seeing. For a while I was worried I had a bad cylinder or valve guide even though my heads are new and I rebuilt my motor only about a year ago. But do any of you know what running without the thick cork gasket could have been doing? My oil pressure has always seemed a little low but still within standards. Could not running that gasket on the inside on that bolt cause lower pressure?

-
Back