Oil filter adapter trouble

-

hippy 60

Reaction score
I have a 63 Valiant that i put v8 273 in and i was wondering,I put doug's headers on it what the best way to put the oil filter adapter on it from the bottom or the top.Thank's for any help.

Its a *****. May be easist to unbolt the header. It can be done with it on.

I just put the header on and left it loose so i could have some movement and still don't know the best way
after the manifold is off, but before the header goes on.
Can i take the header off together Part off it goes on from the bottom and the slip joint's from the top and i put silicone on them like it said

I just put the header on and left it loose so i could have some movement and still don't know the best way

That is what I did although I am running TTI headers . I had to use a jack just lifting the engine a bit to give the header a bit more wiggle room. The problem I had was to get a wrench in to tighten the 1 1/8 bolt holding the 90 degree adapter tight.

I have Doug's on my Barracuda with a 5.9.

I took off cylinder #2 slip tube out from the top and was able to get it. But like @moparker said, it's a *****. The challenge is getting the gasket on the right place. I think I used Gaskicinch to hold it in place.

Yup, then there's tightening it up with the wrench as @Keith Mopar noted.

Place a bright light under to help you see. It CAN be done.

After installing and removing the driver's side header, I believe I can reach just about anywhere, lol.

That is what I did although I am running TTI headers . I had to use a jack just lifting the engine a bit to give the header a bit more wiggle room. The problem I had was to get a wrench in to tighten the 1 1/8 bolt holding the 90 degree adapter tight.
If i could get both hand's in there to hold the gasket in place would it be best just to take the header back off and just start over and put the adapter on then the header back on.??

I used a socket and extension to tighten it. A little silicon to hold the gasket is a good move.

If i could get both hand's in there to hold the gasket in place would it be best just to take the header back off and just start over and put the adapter on then the header back on.??

I couldn't get the header in once the adapter was bolted in, I even tried leaving the adapter loose so I could turn it a bit but the header wouldn't go in once the adapter is in the way, but then again I have TTI headers. I also put on some silicon on the gasket to hold it in place.

I think the Doug's were the same. I don't think the header will go in after the adapter. I think you have to install the 4,6, and 8 tubes, then adapter.

Let me see if I can find the instructions that came with the headers.

I found the instructions. They don't address the adapter.
Yea my instruction's don't say anything either do you think i could drop down and let it rest on the header and then work from the bottom and silicone the gasket's so it will stay in place.Thank's for your help.

@nm9stheham has the solution...

dscn1914-jpg.jpg

-
Back