Oil Filters

-
Once again, we see that just about anything's better than Fram.

AMEN BROTHER! i got screwed by a fram filter a number of years ago on my rockcrawling jeep. it sucked the rubber washer out the fitting and cut off oil supply,thereby wiping out a rod bearing! pissed to say the least! i won't buy anything with the fram name on it now!

Once again, we see that just about anything's better than Fram.

Yep!

My local NAPA auto parts told me wix was the cheap filters. Im going to stop buying FRAM filters and use the WIX filters.
I could of been saveing me a little $ for the past 24 years!
Awsome work roosduster!!

Your local NAPA has idiots working there it sounds like. I haven't went to any auto parts store that said Fram is better than Wix.

gotta get a napa gold to get the wix

Are you sure about that? I remember seeing a NAPA gold and a NAPA silver cut open next to each other and they looked nearly identical except the gold had a few more pleats. Don't Wix have a cheaper line also? I may be wrong about that but I thought they did. I thought it was like a NAPA silver.

In the early 80's I worked in a NAPA store. Cut a few filters open for a display, found AC to be the worst then. Looks like they have improved, but I'm still not putting a GM filter on my Mopar. Back then Wix made all of NAPA's filters even the cheap line.

Thanks for the edification, it looks like you spent a lot of money on filters in order to teach us something. Thanks! I`d like to know more about the filtering media material and it`s configuration as well as how the filter actually filters the oil.

Yep!

Your local NAPA has idiots working there it sounds like. I haven't went to any auto parts store that said Fram is better than Wix.

Are you sure about that? I remember seeing a NAPA gold and a NAPA silver cut open next to each other and they looked nearly identical except the gold had a few more pleats. Don't Wix have a cheaper line also? I may be wrong about that but I thought they did. I thought it was like a NAPA silver.

not 100% sure but thats what i was told.

Thanks for the comparison-very much appreciated.We almost lost the 383 in my wifes challenger 2 years ago cruising in Heath at the mopar nats.Oil pressure went to zero.Fram filter collapsed.Stopped and put on a purolator from advanced auto and cruised for another 2 hours with no problems and oil pressure at 50 psi.We were lucky.never again for that orange piece of crap.

Yep!

The Wix and Pro-Tec look the same but the material feels very different. Also the Wix has 61 pleats and the Pro-Tec has 53 pleats. I plan to cut open a Napa Silver and ProSelect when I can afford it and when I do I will post a pic of it next to the Wix.

Good job man!! I have always used FRAM but after looking at this I think I'm going to change to the WIX. I feel like how a dog owner would feel when he discovers he has been feeding his best friend the worst dog food on the market. :sad10:

Thanks!!

I totally feel the same way. I can't believe I was using that crap for so long! I think I may even take back the Fram oil filter we just got for my dad's '03 Town & Country.

The Wix and Pro-Tec look the same but the material feels very different. Also the Wix has 61 pleats and the Pro-Tec has 53 pleats. I plan to cut open a Napa Silver and ProSelect when I can afford it and when I do I will post a pic of it next to the Wix.

Ok. I haven't even see a pro-tec. Must not sell them around here. Thanks for the info.

Oil filter collapse can happen to any filter. When this happens there is usually something wrong with the engine. I know this isn't popular, but for a short explanation check out this link.
http://www.machinerylubrication.com/article_detail.asp?articleid=398
If you go to Google and just type in "oil filter collapsed" there is enough there to keep you busy for a while. Bad things can happen to your engine in the event of filter collapse, don't let it happen to you.

Well of all the times for this to happen when this discussion is going on. Today I had to change the oil on my 02 Dakota. I have always used NAPA or Mopar perf. filters on it. The one I had on it this time was a NAPA Pro-Select. When I unscrewed the filter and drained it in the drain pan and turned it upside down I felt something clunk in it. I shook it around and it apparently came apart inside. Just yesterday I thought it looked like the oil pressure was lower than normal at idle but it went right back up when I hit the gas. After looking down into the filter I can't really tell what happened but I know something came apart in it cause you can shake it and see the filter element move around. I bet it was bypassing. I put a new filter on it and new oil in and drove it for about 100 miles and oil pressure is now normal at idle. Hopefully it didn't hurt anything but I think it'd show on the oil pressure gauge if it did.

I saw one of these discussions a few years ago.
I have used nothing but Wix ever since.

I`ve been using the K&N filter but now that I see how the Mobil Extended Performance filter is constructed, I may use it. The K&N filter does have the nut on the end of the canister to ease in removing it as well as a wire tie area to fasten the filter to the car, to prevent it from blowing off.

I`ve been using the K&N filter but now that I see how the Mobil Extended Performance filter is constructed, I may use it. The K&N filter does have the nut on the end of the canister to ease in removing it as well as a wire tie area to fasten the filter to the car, to prevent it from blowing off.

The aFe filter has something similar but you use a 3/8" drive instead of a one inch socket or wrench to help get the oil filter off if needed. Here is a pic for comparison.

100_2503.jpg

I started to use Napa Gold filters about 5 years ago. Cut one of them apart yet?

BTW roos, thanks!

-
Back