Oil for 512 stroker?

-

JamesRR

Reaction score
Hello. Recently picked up a 71 Swinger clone (Scamp), I know right?? Anyways, It has a 400 that was stroked to 512. 10:1 compression flat tappet cam. I was curious what type of oil some of you would recommend? The previous owner was running 10-40 dinosaur. Can I run synthetic or should I stick with dino? Is 10-40 a good weight for a motor like this? Ive always run 10w-30 in my mopars but I have never had a "performance" engine before. Thank you all!

There is no reason not to consider synthetics because they do have several advantages over conventional oils. I'm biased towards Amsoil, but I wouldn't use it if I didn't experience good results from it. They do have a wide variety of high zinc oils for flat tappet cams so you don't have to worry about adding other additives. You may have to do some research to find the best price and convenient source, but I think it provides worthwhile extra benefits not only for longevity but performance as well.

I'm not into big blocks and clearances have an influence on viscosity choices, but I would think that one of the 10w-40, 15w-40 or 20w50 Z-Rod, Premium or Diesel oils would work well. The Dominator line is mainly for race cars. I just don't know what the specific additive package differences are. (Unless yours is strictly a race car!)

Racing/performance high zinc oils:

[ame]http://www.amsoil.com/techservicesbulletin/MotorOil/TSB%20MO-2007-08-08%20Flat%20Tappet.pdf[/ame]

www.amsoil.com

Brad Penn...it's a semi-synthetic. I use 20w50 in my 470" low deck

-
Back