Oil galley plug question

-

xring

Reaction score
FABO'ers:

Working on my 340 build this evening, finally. Just when I think I understand the oil system/flow path, I see something I don't understand. On the front of the block, near the end of the passenger-side oil galley, is an oil passage that goes down to the number 1 main. The small cup plug that goes into the oil galley is going to at least partially block this oil passage. Is it supposed to do that?

Thanks.

Edit: I'm not tubing the oil galley.

hi, originally, there was no plug in that galley. the cam plate covers it up. the later motors seem to have one installed there, if you need one get a shallow cup type cup. I don't put any in for that reason. also, early motors had 4 bolts holding the cam plate, later ones had only 3, with a tin plate to help direct oil on timing chain. just install the 4 bolts,

Oil comes up from the filter into the rear of the right side oil galley, then goes up to the front of the block, down the passage to the #1 main, then up to the left side lifter galley. That's how the left side gets fed. So the plug should not impede that path. If it does, it would be ok for some lifters/engines but others may have a problem depending on how loose the lifter bores are.

Like perf said... better to use the cam retaining plate or shallow cupped plug there. I dont use a plug there normally.

I thought maybe the cam plate was supposed to seal the oil galleys.

Thanks!

hi, originally the cam plate sealed the galley's. when they went to 3 bolts on cam plate , is when they started using cups in RF galley.do not cover or impeded oil flow there, you can starve #1 main and whole left side of lifter bores. I don't use any cups in my 340.or any small block 273/360.

-
Back