Oil in distributor on 225

-

Cal Schreyer

Dumas
Reaction score
I know this has been beat to death but here goes another....I have an 81-87 225 (hyd valve) and somehow it's pushing oil up into the dist. and then drips out the vent hole. My first dist. was a rebuild so I blamed it on that, I now have a NEW dist. and it's still doing it. The motor is fresh, maybe 15,000 miles, no blow by, no oil consumption, no pressure build up, new PCV valve, no other oil leaks. I'm sure there will be a million questions so I'll try to answer some now. It's in a 68 Valiant 2 dr, bone stock motor other then Petronix, 904, 2:76 rear. Any help will be appreciated because I hate oil leaks!

p.s. It is for sure coming out of the dist. vent. And yes it does keep the mechanical advance lubed nicely! :)

Could it be a damaged/missing O Ring?
I just had the dist. out and I did replace the o-ring just because but the oil isn't coming out around the housing it's inside the dist. It's somehow coming up the shaft into the housing.
Thanks for the response

I just pulled 2 different slant distributors out of my parts and it appears there is some kind of seal between the shaft and housing. That's the only way oil could then be wicking up between the housing and shaft. I just looked at one of my FSMs and it shows it's a washer and not a seal per se. The picture is of a NOS distributor with no vacuum advance and mechanical locked out that's never been installed and appears the gear is very close, if not touching the washer. The 2nd pic is of a rebuilt unit done by a guy over at slant6.org who specializes in recurving distributors for .org members. Looks like the same set up. Hope this helps a little
IMG_7181.JPG
IMG_7182.JPG

Last edited:
65 Dart Man....My two are even different then yours, the rebuild one I got looked like yours but there was no visibal seal, the new one has a full seal that covers the entire slotted area. But it still leaks

I just pulled 2 different slant distributors out of my parts and it appears there is some kind of seal between the shaft and housing. That's the only way oil could then be wicking up between the housing and shaft. I just looked at one of my FSMs and it shows it's a washer and not a seal per se. The picture is of a NOS distributor with no vacuum advance and mechanical locked out that's never been installed and appears the gear is very close, if not touching the washer. The 2nd pic is of a rebuilt unit done by a guy over at slant6.org who specializes in recurving distributors for .org members. Looks like the same set up. Hope this helps a little View attachment 1715047306View attachment 1715047307
I don't know if this is relevant or not: did you rebuild the engine with a High Volume, or High Pressure oil pump?

I just pulled 2 different slant distributors out of my parts and it appears there is some kind of seal between the shaft and housing. That's the only way oil could then be wicking up between the housing and shaft. I just looked at one of my FSMs and it shows it's a washer and not a seal per se. The picture is of a NOS distributor with no vacuum advance and mechanical locked out that's never been installed and appears the gear is very close, if not touching the washer. The 2nd pic is of a rebuilt unit done by a guy over at slant6.org who specializes in recurving distributors for .org members. Looks like the same set up. Hope this helps a little View attachment 1715047306View attachment 1715047307

Both the distributors I had are different then yours, the rebuilt one had no visible seal, the new one has a larger seal that seems to have eliminated the slots on the bottom of the housing, which really should work but so far it still leaks.

I don't know if this is relevant or not: did you rebuild the engine with a High Volume, or High Pressure oil pump?

There is no seal on the distributor shaft. That steel washer is a spacer to adjust the end play of the shaft. If oil is seeping up the shaft. The bronze bearings are most likely worn.

A rebuilt distributor doesn't mean it has new bearings. Just like rebuilt carb doesn't mean that the it won't leak air past the throttle shafts. It's a crap shot, but you have a life time warranty to get it right.

There is no seal on the distributor shaft. That steel washer is a spacer to adjust the end play of the shaft. If oil is seeping up the shaft. The bronze bearings are most likely worn.

A rebuilt distributor doesn't mean it has new bearings. Just like rebuilt carb doesn't mean that the it won't leak air past the throttle shafts. It's a crap shot, but you have a life time warranty to get it right.

To answer several notes...5 quarts w/filter, not over full

It's not a rebuilt distributor, it's a new one and does have a seal and a washer for shimming. The seal appears to be a black nylon type material.

Unless the pcv system isn't working properly, or it's being overwhelmed by blowby, I don't see how it could drive oil up the shaft. I've had some pretty worn out slants, and I've never seen that problem. There has to be a logical reason.

I totally agree there has to be a logical explanation but as of yet I haven't found it....will keep you posted! I have a 1200 mile trip coming up in a couple weeks so I'll see how it does!

I 2nd the suggestion that the crankcase is becoming pressurized. If the crankcase runs w/ a slight vacuum (as designed), the only thing to move oil up the distributor shaft is splash from the crank and camshaft, and gravity should keep it down. Check your PCV valve and connections.

I 2nd the suggestion that the crankcase is becoming pressurized. If the crankcase runs w/ a slight vacuum (as designed), the only thing to move oil up the distributor shaft is splash from the crank and camshaft, and gravity should keep it down. Check your PCV valve and connections.

New PCV and an 1150 mile trip...oil still coming out the dist. about 1/2 quart
I did notice at idle I have slight vacuum (using a paper towel over the breather) but at maybe 2,000rpm the towel starts fluttering. Normal??

I have never tried that on my gas cars, just my diesels. Compare to youtube's. I think the PCV should keep a slight vacuum on the crankcase, and that sucks clean air into the crankcase from the "breather hose" off the air filter innards. People say that PCV valves are tweaked to each engine, so universal ones don't always work. Who knows what is in the supply chain today or if it really works optimally for your engine.

isn't there an oil press sender in the vicinty? could it be leaking instead?
also possible, and more likely considering it would be much close to the distributor, is perhaps the oil pump to block gasket has split, or the pump cover is leaking and spraying oil at the dist.

also possible, and more likely considering it would be much close to the distributor, is perhaps the oil pump to block gasket has split, or the pump cover is leaking and spraying oil at the dist.

All of what you said makes sense but the oil is IN the distributor not sprayed around it. I have also just changed oil and before I put the filter (Wix 51806) on I blew some low pressure air into the breather hole on the valve cover and I had air come out the filter hole. I did this to make sure there wasn't anything blocking the oil passage thus letting the PCV just draw a vacuum in the valve cover instead of the entire engine. I'm baffled and I'm sure I'll find something some day. Thanks for every ones input!
We have a large Mopar event here in MN this week and I'm going to see if I can find a PCV there made for my \6 and not one from a parts store.

Super dumb question..you're checking for vacuum at the breather hole, but have you checked the breather itself?
I have had similar things happen, and it's always a clogged breather

-
Back