Oil issues

-

duster360

Reaction score
Just want to make sure my thinking is correct. I have a thread on here about my engine but I am not going to chase my tail on this engine anymore. It is coming out of the car. I have just one question I need to ask. To get oil on top of the intake valve the rings would have to let a lot of oil get by which would cause lots of exhaust smoke, correct? Every intake valve that is closed has a puddle of oil on it.

Last edited:
Just want to make sure my this king is correct. I have a thread on here about my engine but I am not going to chase my tail on this engine anymore. It is coming out of the car. I have just one question I need to ask. To get oil on top of the intake valve the rings would have to let a lot of oil get by which would cause lots of exhaust smoke, correct? Every intake valve that is closed has a puddle of oil on it.

Probably not the rings. What makes you think it's rings? Sounds like guides or seals. Could be an intake leak. Or an issue with the PVC system.

I really don't think it is the rings. I have had that suggested and wanted a second opinion. I am about to pull this engine and disassemble it and take the block, heads and Intake to get the intake angle checked by a machine shop.

Definitely not the PVC. The heads are edelbrocks and are new And were checked by my machinist.

1st thing I do with a new set of edelbrock heads is throw the valve seals away....

Already done, machinist installed a new set when he put in my spring cups and springs.

Have any pictures of of oil in the intake ports

image.jpeg

I would look for a crack in the intake somewhere or some where something was left out, if not the flange angle

the 1st set of eddy heads I had began smoking after a few thousand miles and it was the valve stem seals....had that burnt oil on top of the intake valve...cleaned them up put new seals on...no smoke..

I would look for a crack in the intake somewhere or some where something was left out, if not the flange angle
I have had that angle checked 4 different ways by me and another person. It has .005" taper, the taper is tighter at the bottom.

your eddy heads have 11/32 valve stems? maybe he installed 3/8 seals by mistake. could your intake bolts be too long getting tight but not clamping down .

your eddy heads have 11/32 valve stems? maybe he installed 3/8 seals by mistake. could your intake bolts be too long getting tight but not clamping down .
Bolts are not too long. I took the a spring off and the seals look to fit snug from what I can tell visually.

Only the intake bolts on the 4 corner have a dept limit...the intake bolts around the ports go into the valley ...

I use these on eddy small block heads

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hrs-93316

I can run the corner bolts all the way in by hand before I even put a wrench on them.

They look like Teflon seals. They are white with the band clamp around them.
Well actually, I was asking 70aarcuda....LOL. But your answer is good too. IF those are actually teflons, know that telfons are made more to withstand heat. But they tend to seal too well sometimes, and that is the opposite of your issue. They were the rage a few decades back but the old Viton material is hard to beat....which is what 70aarcuda is showing.

You still need to check for sure on the seal size. I'd get a PN from the shop.

also when the Teflon seals are used you need to cut them with a reamer to get the correct fit or they will be too tight causing the exhaust valves to hang in the guides.

I did take one of the intake valves out to look at it and noticed that it is not very free floating wherever I stop pushing is where it stops. Definitly won't just fall out.

I chased this problem for all of last summer. Have a bunch of pics JUST LIKE THAT. Changed valve seals, changed intake gasket 5 times. Installed header evacs......Know what it was? Bad hone job that ruined my brand new gapless rings in less than 100 miles. For you're entertainment check out my post titled "my oil burning pig".
Hope you don't need a bore and full rebuild like I did, but don't rule it out.

I chased this problem for all of last summer. Have a bunch of pics JUST LIKE THAT. Changed valve seals, changed intake gasket 5 times. Installed header evacs......Know what it was? Bad hone job that ruined my brand new gapless rings in less than 100 miles. For you're entertainment check out my post titled "my oil burning pig".
Hope you don't need a bore and full rebuild like I did, but don't rule it out.

Hey post a link to that. I'd love to read it. The chances of me finding it on my own are practically zero, that's why I ask you for the link.

-
Back