Oil Leak?

-

Duster Fan

Reaction score
After having my valves adjusted, I've got a good oil leak on the drivers side. Not sure exactly where its coming from, but it's dripping down the header on the drivers side of the car. The engine is a 318 block with 340 everything else.(every shop I take it too, they tell me it's 100% 340) so I was curious if you guys would have any ideas.

My valve covers are stamped steel, with cork gaskets. And the covers on both sides are nice and tight.

I have always had an oil leak in my 383, at the rear of both. I have tried everything. Worst was when I had stiff cast aluminum covers and stiff silicone gaskets. It almost poured. I broke the end off one cover trying to tighten it. I found that the gasket surface on the head isn't flat, but angles down ~1/8" at the rear. Also, the casting flash makes it harder for the oil to drain back, so the level gets near the gasket. It is tolerable now, after going back to the factory covers and rubber gaskets, just a slight seepage, though it does gook the starter. If I ever remove the heads again, I will have a flat surface milled for the gasket. The factory cast lip was a poor design. I haven't driven my 273 enough yet to compare. My slant six always leaked a bit, but could have been more from the spark plug tubes.

Who adjusted the valve? Did they use new gaskets after the adjustment? The old gaskets get hard and need to be replaced.

You also have to be careful not to distort the sheet metal covers with the bolts---with the covers upside down, look and see if you can see an impression of the bolts being drawn through the covers. If you see it, lay the cover over and "massage" the sealing surface back to flat with a small hammer. Most leaks are caused by this...(a simple fix if you kknow to look for it)

Who adjusted the valve? Did they use new gaskets after the adjustment? The old gaskets get hard and need to be replaced.

A great family mechanic. It runs alot smoother and a helluva lot better since having it done, yeah I had rubber gaskets on before and used cork this time. I think it may be leaking out of the rear of the valve cover. I'm going to check it again today.

Are there any problems that could result from this oil leak?

Other than a messy drive way, smoke as the oil hits the headers, a messy underside of your car there isn't much of a problem. But, if the exhaust gets hot enough, and there is enough oil, there might a fire under the hood. If I were you, I'd get some new rubber gaskets, tap the areas where the bolts go flat, and reinstall with the new gaskets. This might solve the problem, and it might not. If it doesn't solve it, invest in some quality cast aluminum valve covers, with another set of new gaskets. JMO

Bill S.

Other than a messy drive way, smoke as the oil hits the headers, a messy underside of your car there isn't much of a problem. But, if the exhaust gets hot enough, and there is enough oil, there might a fire under the hood. If I were you, I'd get some new rubber gaskets, tap the areas where the bolts go flat, and reinstall with the new gaskets. This might solve the problem, and it might not. If it doesn't solve it, invest in some quality cast aluminum valve covers, with another set of new gaskets. JMO

Bill S.

The Cast Aluminum covers seal better right? And the same goes for the rubber gaskets? Do you have a particular brand you use for the valve covers? (Mopar Small Block).

-
Back