oil leakage at half to full throttle

-

DQ81

'73 Dart
Reaction score
fresh 318 w/ eddy cam, intake, headers etc.

passenger side leak at the rear, possibly valve cover.

thought it was oil filter at first but that's on tight.

Leaks down onto oil filter in any case and then onto header, stinky mess.

At first it was only at the rear passenger side.

Any tips on how to get the WOT on the pedal to match WOT on a Holly? Pedal to the floor only give me about 2/3rds open on carb.

For oil pressure release I'm running a breather on the passenger side and a pcv on the drivers. Drivers side is dry and leak free.

Ideas?

I had a similar issue recently; I had the Mopar Performance cast aluminum valve covers. When I put them on and tightened them up I found a leak after the first drive. After inspection the valve cover edge tightened up against the rear intake runners and did not allow the gasket to seal. I compared them with the old valve covers, the old ones had notches in them to clear the runner the MP did not so out came the die grinder and now no leaks.

Just went through the same thing. Turns out it was a bad oil filter and leaked at the seam at crusing speed, but not at idle. It was NAPA gold filter.

If you have a 90 degree adapater drag it across some medium grit sand paper on a flat surface until it is completely shiny and put it back on with a new large o gasket. Fixed my leak immediately a few years ago.

old school cork gasket.

As in the culprit or the solution?

put some RTV on the gaskets... make sure the covers are evenly tightened

planning on it :)

If you have a 90 degree adapater drag it across some medium grit sand paper on a flat surface until it is completely shiny and put it back on with a new large o gasket. Fixed my leak immediately a few years ago.

a 90 degree adapter? I don't follow...

Check the oil pressure switch/sender.

Can you give us a picture of your throttle linkage set-up with the Holley ?

Would help alot.

Check the oil pressure switch/sender.

Can you give us a picture of your throttle linkage set-up with the Holley ?

Would help alot.

Sure, can take one tommorrow. However, I've gotten the cable adjusted to have full pedal = WOT on carb.

A new issue has come out of this however:

I can't get nice even line pressure, the throw of the Holly is greater than than of the line pressure linkeage, which as a result means quick shifts up to 3/4ths throttle and a really buried pedal to downshift. Also moderate to heavy acceleration = shifting at 3k rpm. If I adjust the line pressure linkeage it will interfere with the throttle...

Would a kickdown cable work any better?

What can anybody recomend as far as shift kits go?

What gears does a factory /6 8 1/4 rear usually have?

TIA!!!

-
Back