Oil on intake manifold

-

Confusedcuda

Reaction score
Discovered new problem. When I drive my newly rebuilt 68 barracuda with a 340, I noticed I have 2 pools of oil on the intake manifold towards the back on both sides. I also have had a little oil on my plugs. Could this just be valve cover gaskets or intake issue? Thanks

Probably VC gaskets but I would have to see it to confirm.

It could also be those two intake bolts are wicking up the oil. Try some thread sealant on them and that will likely solve the problem. Be sure to retorque the bolts to the correct value as the last step!

Discovered new problem. When I drive my newly rebuilt 68 barracuda with a 340, I noticed I have 2 pools of oil on the intake manifold towards the back on both sides. I also have had a little oil on my plugs. Could this just be valve cover gaskets or intake issue? Thanks

xscuseless.gif

will RTV silicone work?

Naw.. we need pics of the oil leak.. we all know what RTV looks like.... :lol:

Oil could be coming from the valve covers... kinda doubt that is your issue as the oil puddles at the bottom of the head not the top. But yes.. a bead of RTV would do the trick. Same if it's your intake gaskets leaking.. on both sides?

If I had to venture a guess I'd suspect it's seeping past the intake bolts.. seen that quite a few times.

GL!

Seal the bolts that hold the intake to the head. Either use teflon tape, or thread sealer on the bolts. Oil drips on the threads that protrude thru the openings by the valve springs and wick right back up the bolt to where it runs out from under the bolt head and pools up in the little valleys by the intake runners. If oil is also dripping onto the plugs and wires....you need valve cover gaskets too.

No RTV is not what you want, go to the part store and ask for a tube of Thread Sealer. Mop up the oil, pull one bolt at a time, get all the oil off the treads, apply sealer, reinstall and torque, did I say one bolt at a time? You may have excessive blow by building up crankcase pressure, or a PCV system that isn't doing its job...

will RTV silicone work?

Naw.. we need pics of the oil leak.. we all know what RTV looks like.... :lol:

Oil could be coming from the valve covers... kinda doubt that is your issue as the oil puddles at the bottom of the head not the top. But yes.. a bead of RTV would do the trick. Same if it's your intake gaskets leaking.. on both sides?

If I had to venture a guess I'd suspect it's seeping past the intake bolts.. seen that quite a few times.

GL!

We can't tell you how to fix it if we don't have any pictures to see what the actual problem is...

Take some pictures and post them so we can see what's going on...

crystal-ball.jpg

New motors 'especially when cork is used' need some 're snugging' of the pan n cover gaskets.

Try lightly snuggling the valve cover bolts, center..then out to each end.
Remeber that they dont need a heavy hand.

New motors 'especially when cork is used' need some 're snugging' of the pan n cover gaskets.

Try lightly snuggling the valve cover bolts, center..then out to each end.
Remeber that they dont need a heavy hand.

^^^ Every time.... do the circuit. Intake bolts... valve covers then headers. All those gaskets seem to "settle" after a few heat cycles.

You may have two issues. Valve covers, hint wet plugs and boots. Take a clean paper towel and run under the covers and see if you are picking up oil. If so change gaskets and flatten covers at its seat. Second could be the oil pressure sending unit, especially the gauge type. Could be intake bolts but I never had that problem. Did not know the bolts protrude into the upper head area.

Those pools are caused by lack of thread sealant on the intake bolts. Remove the bolts, blow out the holes with compressed air, squirt a short blast of solvent in the holes and blow them out again. Liberally coat the bolt threads with Permatex #2 sealant. Reinstall bolts. Do the same thing to your long water pump bolts, especially the one the power steering bracket hangs on. Same thing applies to big blocks too. On BB's the exhaust manifold studs need the same treatment. Permatex #2 (2A, 2B) may be "old school" but it is far superior to silicone sealers in this application. It works equally well in intake manifold corners and oil pan corners and main seal corners. Being lacquer based it is paintable when skinned over unlike silicone. It is impervious to gasoline and oil, so doesn't turn to jelly like silicone when exposed to oils. The only chemicals that soften it are lacquer thinner and carburetor cleaner, and some alcohols.

-
Back