Oil pan baffles, I want to see them... ok need inspiration and guidance...

-

wjaholic

My car stole my wallet!
Reaction score
I am working on rebuilding a 440, pretty much stock nothing special really. I am going to be using the 699 pan. I was really surpised when I pulled the pan off the engine and didn't find any baffles in it. Now I am trying to do some research on baffles and see what works and what doesn't.

If you have any comments, suggestions, tips or tricks, I would love to hear about them. As always if you have ANY pics of youre baffles (custom or original) in just about any mopar pan I would love to see them as well.

Thanks!

Car craft did a budget oil pan baffle on one of their mopar project cars probably about 7-8 years ago.

Basically you make a lid for the sump with a square hole in the middle of it for the pickup, and you make a provision for the dip stick. This is all done using the pump/pickup and dipstick you intend to use installed on the bare block. Trace onto the inside of the pan the location of the pick up, pull the pan and make a template from cardboard.

You make a cardboard template to figure out what the "lid" should look like with the pickup installed and pan bolted to the block. Tape the template onto the inside of the pan, and install the pan. You can see down thru the empty cylinders to sight and correct the template as needed. Once you have it made and adjusted then duplicate the cardboard piece using heavy sheet stock steel something like .050" thick would work. Check the steel piece again in the motor with pan etc installed and then spot weld it in place.

Additionally - you'll need to make some drain backs, 2 inverted "V's" into the lid for the rear of the pan maybe 1/8 - 1/4 " deep and as long as needed to flow back to the sump, and also some sort of round hole for the dipstick, there will also need to be a slotted area in the lid going from the central sqaure hole to one side for the pickup tube to pass thru. The center hole should also be made with some flaps of steel protruding downward into the sump maybe 1/2 to 1 inch. Crude but effective and $cheap$.

Make sure everything fits the way it needs to before calling it good. Once the pan is on, you will not want to find out that the dipstick doesnt work.

Ive made several of these and had no problems with them. Have fun - its an easy project.

I'm getting ready to add some baffles to my motorhome 440 oil pan, so I thought I would bring this old thread back up to see if anybody has some pictures.

I'll get you a picture tomorrow of a 1 piece factory baffle in a 400 pan (same as 440). If I forget remind me K.

Terry

I made a baffle with help from the same article 66dart mentioned, I'd say it was at least 8 years ago (considering I only have analog pics of my engine build).

I'll see about taking a picture of a picture and posting it.

This is a stock baffle in a 633 BB pan. I know it's filthy but you get the idea.

Terry

P1010001.jpg

P1010002.jpg

I am working on rebuilding a 440, pretty much stock nothing special really. I am going to be using the 699 pan. I was really surpised when I pulled the pan off the engine and didn't find any baffles in it. Now I am trying to do some research on baffles and see what works and what doesn't.

If you have any comments, suggestions, tips or tricks, I would love to hear about them. As always if you have ANY pics of youre baffles (custom or original) in just about any mopar pan I would love to see them as well.

Thanks!

Here is one for a 699 or 187 pan,
http://www.bigblockdart.com/index.php/topic,41189.0.html

-
Back