Oil pan early SB A-Body

-

valiantwagon

Reaction score
I posted this question in the small block tech area, probably should have posted it here in the first place.
Will the early (pre-67) and late (67-later) model a-body small block oil pans interchange chassis wise? I'm planning on putting an early 70's 318 in my 65 Valiant wagon this winter.

Thanks!

I haven't done every combination but I've done quite a few with no problems. (including yours) The only one I remember not fitting good was a 360 pan that needed a little messaging (big hammer!) on the right front corner to keep it from rubbing the K-member. I can't remember which pan number it was though. It's usually the 6 cylinder pans that are a PITA.

My 65 wagon has a 70's 318 in it and no oil pan problems other than they didn't change the centerlink. Clears the k-frame fine. Jayson

I bought a real 65 273 pan and compared it to a generic chrome 360 pan and the only diff I saw was a diagonal clearance about 1/2 way through the edge of the shallow part about 1 inch deep. probably for idler arm clearance but I hadnt had a chance to do a fitment yet.

Yeah we knew that, 360 has a different rear main seal. I believe the question was if the shape was similar. I never heard of the K member contact, but motor mount insulators play a large part in this. Half the guys running thin biscuits and the other half running the OEM thick rubber bricks.

I bought a real 65 273 pan and compared it to a generic chrome 360 pan and the only diff I saw was a diagonal clearance about 1/2 way through the edge of the shallow part about 1 inch deep. probably for idler arm clearance but I hadnt had a chance to do a fitment yet.

I've got two early pans and they do have more dimples for clearance than later model pans, but saying that I'm using the Moroso deep pan and it fits without any modifications. It has less dimples for sure.

-
Back