Oil Pan problem (pics)

-

71_Demon

Reaction score
I am in the process of putting a new 318 in my 71 Demon. I made the mistake of ordering a rear sump Mopar oil pan. I installed the pan with the engine on the stand (not even thinking to check and see if it would fit in the car). I then put the engine and headers in the car.

To put the headers in I had to pull the stearing linkage (it appears the linkage should go right through the middle of the drivers side headers), so when I put the engine in the car I did not notice that the stearing linkage will not fit with the oil pan I am using. It appears the stock oil pan is much lower profile and has a front sump.

I already have the engine in the car and halfway bolted up, the headers are in and bolted on. I am wondering if it would be easier to pull the engine to replace the oil pan, or if I could replace the oil pan easily with the engine still in the car.

DSC02032.jpg

Engine in the car...
DSC02035.jpg

Oil pan..

Would a v-8 steering link help any? I have one that won't fit my 66, and it drops down about an inch farther than the /6 one.

Well, you have to have a rear sump pan to fit that chassis. I've got a stock type rear sump pan on the 360 in my 66 Vart and everything fits correctly. I can't really tell from the photo, but are you sure you have your motor mounts on the correct side of the ears on the block? If they aren't on the correct side it will space the motor about an inch forward of where it should be and cause all kinds of interference problems.

I did the same thing when I was getting my '73 Duster ready to go......you are gonna have to get a center sump pan and I'll tell ya right now it's easier to pull the motor out. un-bolt the headers leave them in the engine bay and yank the motor.....put a center sump pan and and slide it back in.

The rear sump wont work..You need the center sump, like was mentionned. You could do this in the car, but it will be much easier if you have the space and lift, to just remove the engine and swap pans..In the car you still have to raise it further than the headers and stuff will allow.

66dartman said:
Would a v-8 steering link help any? I have one that won't fit my 66, and it drops down about an inch farther than the /6 one.

There is no difference in the center link between \6 and v8 cars on 67 and up A-bodies.

live and learn, dont mess around, get it there and swap pans...

You can swap it with it in the car but trust me from experience it is easier to pull the motor. I had to pull my pan and replace the rear main seal last summer and it was a PITA......just save yourself the aggravation and pull the motor out. The way it sounds you only have a the headers and mounts hooked up......

Ran a rear sump in my '69 with dual pickups. Yup. I had to add a tunnel for the link.

I did an oil pan in car. Boy that sucked. Second time around, I had a hopist. It was about the same if not a little better than the jack that pushed up the engine. I'd do the incar pan swap myself vs. taking it out.
Just thinking out loud

I have the oil pan that came off the 318 I pulled out of the car. I only have the bell housing bolts and one flexplate bolt in... I guess I will just pull the engine and put the stock pan on it.

Here I thought I was going to be trick with a new mopar oil pan and I ended up just wasting my money and time... but I learned a lesson. The good news is the headers went in very easily if you lay them in place before you lower the engine in.

71_Demon said:
I have the oil pan that came off the 318 I pulled out of the car. I only have the bell housing bolts and one flexplate bolt in... I guess I will just pull the engine and put the stock pan on it.

Here I thought I was going to be trick with a new mopar oil pan and I ended up just wasting my money and time... but I learned a lesson. The good news is the headers went in very easily if you lay them in place before you lower the engine in.

I made many first mistakes and almost "gave up" mopars from it. Could have rebuilt two for just the BS of one. I just wish I had known of this site before I completed my first. :notworth:
Good Luck. PS your engine looks great :)

hi 71 demon,
if you change the oil pan in the car,
will you still be able to check the oil pump
pickup tube position in the new pan?

71 Demon, my apologies, I thought for some reason the pan was a rear sump. Then after I posted yesterday I began to think about it and something didn't seem right so I went out to the shop last night and checked my engine. It is a center sump as the other guys have said. So don't listed to me any more! :)

-
Back