oil pan removal

-

72Mopah

Reaction score
Hello fellow A Body owners. I was wondering if anyone out there has experience with the oil pan removal on a V8 dart? I have a 72 Swinger with a center sump pan. My pan is currently leaking at the drain plug and I would like to remove the pan and repair the plug hole. It seems to be not sealing due to a couple small dings around the drain plug. Unfortunately I would be doing this on my back in the driveway and looking for any experiences and the one you may have had pulling the pan down. My plan is to get it on the bench and knock the dents out and tig weld the threaded bung to the pan.

Thanks

Take a good look at the leak area and be sure it's the pan.It may be the plug. A good auto parts have what is a +1 or a +2 plug that may cure your problem.
If not get it up as high as you can.If you have headers you will be fighting them if not and have stock manifolds you will have more clearance. Remove the Idler arm from the K frame bracket.I like to remove the Pitman arm from the steering box and swing the centerlink out of the way, usually towards the front of the car. The last one I did on a Duster with a 360 and headers(on my back.) I highly suggest using a one piece pan gasket.That's all I know.

Hey Darter6

It definitely sounds like a b1tch. I am positive it is the plug. I tried a 1/2 to 7/16 "insert" from a kit that i purchased but it didn't seem to make any improvement. i suspect cause the leak is within the threads from the inside out. The dents are kind of an indicator.
I appreciate your feedback. Thanks

-
Back