Oil pan replacement

-

240 gordy

Reaction score
I have a 69 dart 340 and need to replace the oil pan as it is rotting. It is a stick car with a scattershield and block saver plate (came on it when I bought it). Question is can I get the pan off without pulling the motor. Center link is out, can the pan drop straight down or does it have to be moved back.

if you dont have headers, and the new oil pan does not have a baffle in it for the oil pickup...it should work with the engine still installed

May have to jack motor off mounts but try this first: pull center link and dipstick. the pan should drop then slide back just enough to clear the front rail. If you hit the crank, rotate so the front throw is up (pistons down)

Be careful not to hit the new gaskets out of position when installing the new pan...

It's hard to snake it up in the car with the k-member....

You may have to jack up the engine. If so, take care not to crack the distributor cap. Remove it. Keep an eye on the distributor as well.

Headers? Removal maybe needed. Or at least loosened up or hanging. Bunji cords help there.

I was able to put the one in my duster without taking off motor mounts but i did have to unbolt the headers(did not have to take them out, just needed wiggle room) and take off the steering cross link. One piece gasket helps.

if you dont have headers, and the new oil pan does not have a baffle in it for the oil pickup...it should work with the engine still installed
I had the old headers off and had not put the new TTI's on yet, center link was out , just removed all bolts, broke the pan away from the block and wiggled it a few times and it dropped right out. The pan had been modified by the engine builder, F J Smith but did not cause any problem in the removal or installation. Thanks for your comment.

I had the old headers off and had not put the new TTI's on yet, center link was out , just removed all bolts, broke the pan away from the block and wiggled it a few times and it dropped right out. The pan had been modified by the engine builder, F J Smith but did not cause any problem in the removal or installation. Thanks for your comment.

FJ Smith is a very sharp man. Any way you can copy what he did to that pan?

Also, if you don't mind can you post a couple of pictures of the inside of the pan? When smart guys like that do something I like to see it...if you don't mind.

FJ Smith is a very sharp man. Any way you can copy what he did to that pan?

Also, if you don't mind can you post a couple of pictures of the inside of the pan? When smart guys like that do something I like to see it...if you don't mind.
If I ever take it off again, I will do all of that, never thought to do it as I was getting frustrated and just wanted to get it back together. Thanks again..

i have done this with a 904 for those with that automatic...not difficult.i did drop the centre link though.The hard part was keeping the front gasket on.

i have done this with a 904 for those with that automatic...not difficult.i did drop the centre link though.The hard part was keeping the front gasket on.
Had the center link out to put on new headers,glued the gasket in place, tight squeeze

-
Back