Oil passages on Eddy heads??

-

Nitrous340Dart

Reaction score
So just got my heads back from being hogged out... I was looking at the rocker pedestals and saw that each head has one that has a hole running down it to a head bolt hole... Turn the head upside down and now you can see another hole running at an angle over to a hole in the head surface, pretty sure that runs to the oil passage in the lifter valley in the block (dont have the block with me at the moment).

My question is should these holes be completely drilled out?? Cause the passage from the head bolt hole up to the rocker shaft didn't get finished from Edelbrock.... It looks like the drill didn't punch all the way through and only opened the hole about halfway. Should I drill it out completely? I could amost just take a screw driver and push throught the left over metal?

there is only one oil hole on each LA head.....the eddy heads are correct...and the block is drill for oil cam bearing no. 2 and no. 4 which feeds the heads...

driver side...second hold down...
passenger side.....four hold down...

if you use the head on either side....

I see there is only one hole per head, I was wondering though... The hole is not completely drill out in the head, it didn't punch through all the way. It only punched through about half the diam of the passage. I was asking if I should finish drilling the hole.

why...no oil will come up from the block...

as i said....the heads get oil from no. 2 and no. 4 cam bearing....thru a passage to the heads......NO other place...so you can drill all the holes you want...but no additional oil will get to the heads...

personally...i would not drill holes in heads unless I knew what i was doing......

I don't think he's talking about drilling EXTRA holes, I think the hole that supposed to be drilled all the way through isn't.

I've heard of this before, if it is indeed the oil passage hole (got pictures?) it should be the full diameter all the way through.

You might want to take the heads down to you local machinist and have them take a look, I have heard of eddy heads with incomplete oil passages before, on more than one occasion. You should check the valve guide clearances too.

Take an air nozzle and blow air thru the hole at the head face and see if you feel air coming out of the rocker arm pedestal. This will check your oil passage to see if has it drilled right. Jayson

Use air or a piece of .030 wire to chase the hole and make sure it's completely open. It's not necessary to get a lot of oil to the rockers, so a restricted passage hole isn't necessarily a bad thing. Helps keep oil in the mains where it really needs to be.

here is a pic ....center hole above head bolt hole is oil feed to rockers...

two small holes on either side are water

rocker stand...the oil feed going down is at a different angle then the oil feed coming up off the deck of the head...but they intercept each other...

you should be able to blow air thru this passage...

Picture 930.jpg

rocker stand...the oil feed going down is at a different angle then the oil feed coming up off the deck of the head...but they intercept each other...

you should be able to blow air thru this passage...

Yes this is the location I'm talking about. Now from top looking down the rocker pedestal the hole didn't get drilled out all the way into the head bolt hole.... The opening is only about half the diam of the passage. Oil can go through no doute, but if it is a restriction and could possibly starve something of oil then I will finish drilling the hole all the way through.

Its hard to get a picture down in the oil passage...

yes...that possibilty be true...mine were not drilled cleanly either but did not have oiling problems..

hard to tell because of the two different angles...

but...blown air thru the passage...

.....those heads in the picture oiled to rockers just fine...

until a timing chain broke....LOL

you wont hurt anything by doing it. There's probably enough room for the oil to pass, but if it makes you nervous by all means try to make it better. The cam controls the vlomue that goes up there.

-
Back