oil preasure issue , need help!!

-

yeah

The gang’s all here
Reaction score
Hey guys, just wondering if anybody could help me out here. I'm having a oil pressure issue on my 318. When I start the car its at like 50 psi then when the engine starts warming up the oil pressure keeps on dropping. When the car is at operating temp and idle the psi is at 10-15 . When I start driving it the psi goes up . does this mean that my oil pump is failing or????

Thanks

10lbs for every 1000 rpm is about minimum. how many miles on this engine and does it smoke? tick? it is full of oil?

Great info from 73AbodEE above here.

My car runs around 60lbs when first started (cold) and then drops off to about 10-15 at hot idle, I don't really worry about it as long as I have 10lbs per 1000 RPM as mentioned above. Below that I would get worried.

As long as there are no bad ticking noises, smoke or obvious wear (you can inspect the rockers and pushrods, when you remove the valve covers) you'll be fine.

i wouldnt want lower than that.

Thats just me.

Is this when u come off the freeway to a stop?
get on the freeway for 10 min or so and then when exit and come to a stop/idle....check the oil psi and see how low it is then.

if i had less than 10lbs sitting at a light , at around 800 rpm, i would be a little worried, but thats not to say that it wont live. i think that your clearances would be more suspect than a worn out oil pump. but, either way, it may live for a while, but i would start thinking about another motor or a rebuild. at least keep that in the back of your mind.

Sounds about right for an engine with plenty of miles on it. As long as you have 35-40 at highway speed I wouldn't sweat it too much.

It's excessive main and rod bearing clearance and not pump failure that is the likely cause of low pressure.

Hey guys , thanks for all the response. The car does not smoke the engine sounds good when running. The engine is full of oil and I really have no idea how many miles on the engine . It only drops to 10 - 15 psi when at idle. But when I'm driving it its at like 45 . I thought it would be either the oil pump or the clearences . I'm running 10w30 synthetic oil someone said to switch to a higher weight , and it would be better. I would love to get a new engine in it , just really don't have that much money I'm 28 and cash is kinda tight and this car allready consumed most of my money haha.

Hey guys, just wondering if anybody could help me out here. I'm having a oil pressure issue on my 318. When I start the car its at like 50 psi then when the engine starts warming up the oil pressure keeps on dropping. When the car is at operating temp and idle the psi is at 10-15 . When I start driving it the psi goes up . does this mean that my oil pump is failing or????

Thanks

This is normal.

Try running 20/50 in it and I bet you will have 20 psi warm at idle and 60 psi at RPM.

What you have now would not harm the engine. I do know how you feel though looking at the gauge wondering if it is going to hit 0 at a light.

I can guarantee that conventional oil would raise the oil pressure a bit. However, If it is not "using" the synthetic oil, That's great! A lot of times Synthetic oil seems to disappear mysteriously from older engines. Once at full hot running temp, The weight of the oil wont change oil pressure very much at all.

too much isnt good either maybe some oil passage is being blocked? high volume pump?

and try oil additives for low pressure i put oil honey or something in mine saw an increase in pressure at idle

Your oil pickup is pluged with oil seals. I bet it smoke a little on start up. 30 plus years doing mopar s/blocks

Your oil pickup is pluged with oil seals. I bet it smoke a little on start up. 30 plus years doing mopar s/blocks

Yup or old timing chain plastic.
I took an oil pickup off one upon on a rebuild and it sounded like a baby rattle.

Your oil pressure is fine for a stock motor, it starts ticking consistantly it time for repair work.

My dad a 66 fury with a 225 he bought new, at 180K the oil light would come on at a stop sign, lighly blip the throttle the light would go off.
It never blew up.

The question I haven't seen asked yet is

"Is this a new development?" In other words --Have you had higher oil pressure until recently? If the answer is yes--then something has changed with your engine-probably bearings. If it has always been this way since you have owned it then its probably OK. J.Rob

The question I haven't seen asked yet is

"Is this a new development?" In other words --Have you had higher oil pressure until recently? If the answer is yes--then something has changed with your engine-probably bearings. If it has always been this way since you have owned it then its probably OK. J.Rob

x2

Thanks for all the answers guys , I guess ill check some stuff out and see where it takes me. At least now I know what it could be .

Thanks
Peter

-
Back