oil pressure, I'm still buffaloed

-

angeldust72

Reaction score
O.K. I'm still buffaloed, I tought I had lost oil pump prime since It had been six months since I had built the engine and primed it. So I took the intermediate shaft (oil pump dirve gear) out and put the special tool down to the oil pump and spun the electirc drill at high speed (clockwise, it's a 340) for a long time while a friend turned the crank over slowly several revolutions. We did not see oil up to the valve train and the drill never did bog down as people had mentioned (we also filled the crankcase with extra oil to cover the oil pump). We then took the oil filter adapter off ran the drill and oil came gushing out of the block, which tells me it is not the oil pump and pressure relief valve which is the problem. We did get a very minor flow to the mechanical oil filter pressure gauge tube. It makes me think that somehow the oil/filter/adapter is the problem or something else impeding flow.Questions;
1. Is there a special oil filter to be used with the adapter or with this engine.?
2. Is there a certain way the adapter goes on to the block and somehow we're not getting flow through it?
3. how long would it take the oil to flow through the block, am I being too impatient?
4.Is there some funky way the slotted bolt /washer goes on the adapter that could cause oil not to flow?
5. or, when the engine was built could it be that the main bearings were put in wrong and won't allow flow ( I thought that there is only one way the bearing could go in) or....
6. someone mentioned that there may be an internal oil galley plug that is not in causing oil not flow through the galleys.
ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

did you put the oil gallery plug in the block thats for the lifter gallery?

O.K. I'm still buffaloed, I tought I had lost oil pump prime since It had been six months since I had built the engine and primed it. So I took the intermediate shaft (oil pump dirve gear) out and put the special tool down to the oil pump and spun the electirc drill at high speed (clockwise, it's a 340) for a long time while a friend turned the crank over slowly several revolutions. We did not see oil up to the valve train and the drill never did bog down as people had mentioned (we also filled the crankcase with extra oil to cover the oil pump). We then took the oil filter adapter off ran the drill and oil came gushing out of the block, which tells me it is not the oil pump and pressure relief valve which is the problem. We did get a very minor flow to the mechanical oil filter pressure gauge tube. It makes me think that somehow the oil/filter/adapter is the problem or something else impeding flow.Questions;
1. Is there a special oil filter to be used with the adapter or with this engine.?
2. Is there a certain way the adapter goes on to the block and somehow we're not getting flow through it?
3. how long would it take the oil to flow through the block, am I being too impatient?
4.Is there some funky way the slotted bolt /washer goes on the adapter that could cause oil not to flow?
5. or, when the engine was built could it be that the main bearings were put in wrong and won't allow flow ( I thought that there is only one way the bearing could go in) or....
6. someone mentioned that there may be an internal oil galley plug that is not in causing oil not flow through the galleys.
ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED
Was the oil filter full of oil when you took it off and the adapter?....

Did you personaly assemble it, or did the shop do cam bearings and plugs and stuff on the block for you? It sounds like the small plug over the #5 cap was not installed. If you are turning the pump and looking down into the valley right ahead of the rpriming shaft.... is there oil pouring out there whne the pump's turning? If not, I think the plug is missing. It's a common "whoops", I've even found 2 plugs on top of each other because the original was never removed....

The cam bearings have to be installed correctly to get top end flow. It also takes a bit to fill the rocker shafts. Might be time to check a bunch of things to be sure they were done correctly.

Did you prime the engine 6 months ago? Did it prime oil to the rockers then?
Is your electric drill in reverse? If nothing has changed inside the engine and it primed ok 6 months ago spinning the pump with an electric drill should do the trick. toolman

I did determine that the plug for the rear lifter oil galley is in can't see the front one without yanking the intake manifold, where is this one located?

Yes, filter was full, and when we took the adapter off and spun the drill, plenty of oil came gushing out. Makes me think oil is somehow not getting through the adapter or I am not being patient enough to alllow drill time to get to the topside.

Where is this #5 plug you're talking about. Do you mean the rear main cap/oil seal area? I assume you need to drop the pan to see it. I have a 72 shop manual but I'll be jiggered if I can find a diagram where all the internal oil galley plugs are. To answer your question an "experienced" machine shop di the engine prep. and replaced cam bearings, I built the engine but did not focus on the galley plugs (assuming the machinist put them in)

Didn't prime it six months ago long enough to geto the top side. Spun the drill closckwise, same as rotatation as the distribtor when firing.

There are two plugs to look at. The easy one is the drivers side oil gallery. Take the distributor out and look if it is threaded in at the back of the gallery. The other one is above the rear main cap.It can be pushes out from the oil sending unit hole.But it is installed thru the hole in the block above the rear main cap. To install use a punch and hammer, it must be seated solidly. If the machine shop hot tanked the block , this plug should be repaced.

-
Back