oil pressure issue

-

71Duster

Reaction score
Not sure why but my car eats oil pressure sending units. All came from a local Autoparts store -3 of them- Thign is I'm only running a stock pump. First 2 I am assumeing the diaphram bust as they read no pressure -on a rallye cluster- the latest ALWAYS reads good pressure. I have plans on runnign a mechanical gauge as well but want to keep the stock gauge too.

Have you checked your actual oil pressure? Stick a manual gauge on there and see. Ican lend you one. Maybe someone was monkeying with your relief spring on your oil pump.

Well I replaced the pump when I replaced the oilpan. I jsut put a stock pump on the car with the new mopar pickup that comes with the sending unit. I haven;t put a master gauge on the car, can use one from work though. The pressure on the gauge when it works reads right up the middle. Wonderign if I had cheap sending units.

Well put a master gauge on the car today, 70psi@idle cold drops to 60psi hot at idle and jumps to 75psi area with a nice 3000rpm throttle burp. So All good in my books, the sendign unit is rated to 100psi. Got another for warrenty and so far so good. i fit dies again I'll jsut get my cash back and be done with the Napa ones.

Have you tried a mopar one? I might be able to dig out the part number, I have a list of old muscle car related part numbers still avaible from mopar.

At least your oil pressure is good.

I am racing this weekend and next in edmonton, so it is a no go to look at your car.

Alright, It'll have to wait untill spring then, I wont have insurance on the car come the end of the month. But I'll still pull the column if you can get time to do the job. I have another freebie from Napa if it dies I'll get a mopar one, jsut either need a number or to get it from the city because Hinton Chrysler is a joke.

can you pull the column and the axles too?

Too bad it won't work out bringing your car up here. I wanted to have a ride in it. I have been driving my 74 to work the last few days and it is fun. Its amazing how many people come up and ask me about it even though its kinda ugly. It looks like a sleeper - beige with dogdish hubcaps.

Yeah it'll be up on all fours come the end of the month, Garageless so she sits under a cover in the driveway all winter. Its fun even though I can cruise from one end of town to the other in 15 minutes, it looks and sounds mean so gets a lot of looks. Helps beign the only Duster in town and a handful of mopars let alone even muscle cars. Everyone loves the colour, course they dont see the rust that I always do be still fun for looks. Goes pretty good but I have nothing to judge it from. Went for a cruise with a guy who has a 74 360 cuda and killed him up to 70mph he was impressed anyways.

There is supposed to be another duster cruising around town here but I haven't seen it yet. It is supposed to be red, no idea of what year though.

-
Back