Oil pressure problem when starting

-
It takes 10 full seconds for the oil light to go out and you can hear light knocking until the light goes off?

What happens on restarts later on the day?
The longer it sets the longer it takes for the light to go out. I am hoping a simple filter change will solve the problem. It acts exactly like when you change oil and filter and you don't pre-fill the filter. The engine has to run long enough to fill the filter before the bearings get oil. Mike

Mike it sound to me like the the pump is losing its prim and the rattling your hearing is the mains.I'm wondering if maybe there's a crack in an oil gaily or the serf us were the pump bolts to is not true.I hate being the bare of bad news but it sounds like more than a filter.I wonder if maybe the pickup tube can have a hairline crack in it .just trying to help I'm sour you didn't want to here all that but if it did the same thing before it was rebuilt I sure hope its something simple......Artie

I went to the parts store tonight and got a couple of Wix filters. #51348 which is a short and small can filter (thanks camd64) and #51515 which is a full sized long can filter. Both have an anti drain back valve. I spun the Car Quest filter off my motor and less than a shot glass of oil came out. I will try the full sized filter and if the same thing happens I should be able to turn the adapter down and use the small filter which will keep it full all the time. I will report back tomorrow. Mike

On my 340 I have the adapter pointed looking at the end of the filter at 8 o clock..the little hand.

I also use the short filter. Maybe I should use the larger size?

I would angle the housing downward. Was the oil filter heavy like it was full? If not you found the problem, well at least that is part of it. The oil filter should be full all the time. It may have been the lifters knocking and no damage done.

The knock is a definite concern but I have only started it 3 times since the initial break in. Hopefully the damage, if any, will be minimal. Tomorrow I will spin the filter off and see if there is oil inside. If not I will mess with the oil filter adapter angle to see if I can get it vertical and still get a filter in there. Mike Apparently one of those quirky little Mopar deals. LOL

Do you have room to launch the 90 degree adapter and just mount a shorty direct to the block?

YeeeeeHawwwwww! Fixed !!!!!!!! I just spun the filter off and it was full. I snugged it back on and set the choke. The oil light went out as soon as the engine caught. Great news. Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys. You are the greatest! toolmanmike

Really glad!!!! Interesting though. The Car Quest filter#85515 is supposed to be the same as the Wix#51515. The Car quest filter doesn't have a check valve.
Glad I found out when I did.......before it was too late. Mike

I'm sticking with the $14 k&n filters. Darn costly yet it stays on for 3-4 months. Sad in 2010 they all can not sell the right oil filter.

oh yeah :cheers::cheers:

-
Back