oil pressure Q.

-

joedart

Reaction score
Is it typical to start the car have 75psi of pressure then go for a drive come back park let the car idle and it's at 30-35psi but while I am driving it stays at 75psi then when I come to a stop it drops to 30-35psi with standard volume oil pump.

Looks like your motor is nice and tight. Your pressure is GGGGGRREAT!!!

What weight of oil are you using? Jysnflem

milan1.jpg

Rotella T 15-40. I have this in because I used it at the dyno. Going to drain this weekend but might get the same stuff. Herd alot of good things about this oil and know alot of people that run it in their cars and have good results. What do you run?

Rotella T 15-40. I have this in because I used it at the dyno. Going to drain this weekend but might get the same stuff. Herd alot of good things about this oil and know alot of people that run it in their cars and have good results. What do you run?
I heard that the Zinc content in rotella is decreasing but I am not sure. That would be bad if you have a flat tappet engine. There are plenty of threads on the topic here so I don't mean to start a new discussion.

Is it typical to start the car have 75psi of pressure then go for a drive come back park let the car idle and it's at 30-35psi but while I am driving it stays at 75psi then when I come to a stop it drops to 30-35psi with standard volume oil pump.
As everyone has said, that is fine. Those are good numbers. Mine sits at 85psi cold and dips to about 45psi when idling and hot.

Make sure you (and all of us in this forum) use a Zinc additive in their oil. I use ZDDP Plus. Cheapest place to currently buy it is Eastwood.com since everything on their website and in their catalog is 10% off.

Make sure you (and all of us in this forum) use a Zinc additive in their oil. I use ZDDP Plus. Cheapest place to currently buy it is Eastwood.com since everything on their website and in their catalog is 10% off.
You don't have to use an additive. There are still oils available with plenty of ZDDP. Look at some of the existing threads about this.

15 psi is not good goody

oh i know, i figure its to some crappy machine work (had issues with the shop at the time). No matter though, i've put about 10,000 hard miles on it (its seen up to 7,000rpm, 250* degrees, 3500rpm cruising with 3.91s for hours, etc), still runs hard. I won't bother tearing that engine apart, it's been through hell..when it croaks, or comes out ill just upgrade. But at this rate, it may be awhile! lol

ive changed my 'red' oil pressure light to green...because its still good to go, no need to worry. haha

-
Back