oil pressure test question

-
You attach the oil preasure line, with the correct fittings to the spot where your oil preasure switch is.

Top rear center of the engine block on both big block and small blocks. You should have no less than 10 lbs. of pressure per 1000 rpm of engine speed. Ideally look for around 25 lbs. of pressure at a hot idle.

Okay thanks, is the pressure switch the same thing as the pressure relief valve?

I think you`re confusing your car with your water heater. No pressure relief valve here. If you`re unsure of what you`re looking at then get someone who knows their way around an engine.

slant six and big block have external oil pumps and the pressure relief valves are accessable...but no dont mess with them there will be a pressure switch (electrical ThInGie) with one tan wire leading to it...unscrew that and hook mechanical gauge in it's place
I think you`re confusing your car with your water heater. No pressure relief valve here. If you`re unsure of what you`re looking at then get someone who knows their way around an engine.

slant six and big block have external oil pumps and the pressure relief valves are accessable...but no dont mess with them there will be a pressure switch (electrical ThInGie) with one tan wire leading to it...unscrew that and hook mechanical gauge in it's place

cool, thanks. I do have a mechanic who is going to be giving me a hand with this I'm just trying to learn as much as I can on my own too.

My next question is that there's a chance my engine has a cam bearing in wrong (no oil up into rear bolt hole of rocker shaft), if that's the case can you still oil pressure test? Guessing you don't want to run the car long enough to idle hot if cam bearing are incorrect right? So is it even possible to check oil pressure in this situation?

cool, thanks. I do have a mechanic who is going to be giving me a hand with this I'm just trying to learn as much as I can on my own too.

My next question is that there's a chance my engine has a cam bearing in wrong (no oil up into rear bolt hole of rocker shaft), if that's the case can you still oil pressure test? Guessing you don't want to run the car long enough to idle hot if cam bearing are incorrect right? So is it even possible to check oil pressure in this situation?

If this is a real posibility. I would use a priming shaft thru the the distributor hole and loosen the bolts on your rocker shafts and see if oil is getting to the top of your motor. The oil comes thru the second bolt back from the front of the engine on the drivers side, and from the second hole from the back on the passenger side. Your going to have to turn the motor over slowly by using a 15/16 socket on the crankshaft bolt to line up the hole in the cam bearing to the top of the engine. Warning, don't take the bolt all the way out because you'll have an oil geyser when the holes line up.

If this is a real posibility. I would use a priming shaft thru the the distributor hole and loosen the bolts on your rocker shafts and see if oil is getting to the top of your motor. The oil comes thru the second bolt back from the front of the engine on the drivers side, and from the second hole from the back on the passenger side. Your going to have to turn the motor over slowly by using a 15/16 socket on the crankshaft bolt to line up the hole in the cam bearing to the top of the engine. Warning, don't take the bolt all the way out because you'll have an oil geyser when the holes line up.

I do'nt think you are referring to a Slant Six here,are you.?
priming shaft through the distributor shaft is not possible on a Slant,nor does oil feed to the rocker assembly by any front bolt.
the rear rocker assembly bolt with the chamfered shaft is the oil feed.

regards,Rod

I do'nt think you are referring to a Slant Six here,are you.?
priming shaft through the distributor shaft is not possible on a Slant,nor does oil feed to the rocker assembly by any front bolt.
the rear rocker assembly bolt with the chamfered shaft is the oil feed.

regards,Rod

By no means, this info is for SB or BB V8's. If this is a slant 6 Forget what I posted. And by second from the front and second from the back I am refering to the rocker shaft bolts left side and right side. This ain't my first rodeo, I thought this was explained well enough in my original post for everyone to understand. Guess I was wrong. Sorry

-
Back