Oil Pump Gasket?

-

seabee

Reaction score
I got a new mopar performance oil pump. It didn't come with a gasket, and when I took off the old pump there was no gasket. After searching the web I have yet to find a MP oil pump gasket. Are they unnecessary?

I have always run a gasket. Some new pumps come with them. Sometimes I make them from gasket paper using one from the oil pump as a template.

You can use them or not.

I prefer to use them. Try sucking through a straw with a hole in it and see what happens.

I wouldn't want to get my oil aerated. It is better to be safe than sorry. If there are any flaws in the machining of the joint faces, then they can start sucking air with the oil. We all know that won't end well....

I prefer to use them. Try sucking through a straw with a hole in it and see what happens.

I wouldn't want to get my oil aerated. It is better to be safe than sorry. If there are any flaws in the machining of the joint faces, then they can start sucking air with the oil. We all know that won't end well....

i understand what your thinking but this is the pressure side of the pump not the suction side so you cant aerate the oil here. i don't use them on mine but i don't know if this is good advice or not i just don't use them

Just this last month I finished up installing a new pick up tube and stock pan and mine didnt have one also. I did talk to a lot of people before butting the whole thing together and most said the same thing, not needed. To this day I have not had any troubles so far. Oil pressure is holding 60-70 lbs. No problems here.

Attachments

• 558585_2516567092195_1793770338_1500443_278017476_n.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 434
  • IMAG0115.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 440
Thanks for all of the input! Richard your pics just changed my mind from a black engine to a silver one!

When I got this motor it was Mopar Blue, it wasnt to pretty. Took a few good days cleaning it off but it looks 100% better I think....

Attachments

• IMAG0077.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 431
  • IMAG0086.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 437
  • DSC02950.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 470
I don't know why I never thought to go silver. it would coincide with the silvers stripes perfectly.

738b6829.jpg

Wow, that sounded like I'm shoe shopping or buying window treatments.

i use one no matter what. but thats just me. i have always deemed them necessary. but im learning they are not lol but i will continue to

My line of thinkin has always been, if they make a gasket, use one.

I have never used one on a SB Mopar. I have yet to tear down a factory engine that had one. I figure it is one less gasket to blow out. If the sealing surface has looked iffy, in the past I have used a polishing stone on it to smooth it out.

Yea stupid me used the dam end seals in my new engine. Now I have nice moist cork at the front and back of my intake! LOL

I think I better ask about the intake seals too while I am here. Should I not use the gaskets for the intake?

I think I better ask about the intake seals too while I am here. Should I not use the gaskets for the intake?

I used the intake end seals when i first started messin' with cars and later on just went with RTV sealant. Never had any issues either way, guess i got lucky a few times....hehe. But any excessive crankcase pressure will eventully cause a leak somewhere.

Test fit the intake, make sure it sits good and the ports line up good.
If they fit, why not, but rtv skin them and get the corners good.

But You can skip them and just put a nice bead across the front and back.
Check how tall a bead 1st by test fitting the intake!lol

I use them & just a dab of HondaBond or Equivalent at each corner(Top & Bottom). It's Worked for 29 years for me.

i understand what your thinking but this is the pressure side of the pump not the suction side so you cant aerate the oil here.

That's it in a nutshell.

I never use them. Had one blow out and it resulted in a significant oil pressure drop. Never again. Once it blows out, it will usually continue to blow a larger section of gasket out.

-
Back