Oil pump priming. Vaseline needed?

-
Wow all this over a Vaseline video... LOL

Vaseline on the garage bench and an unassuming female happens to come in with a friend: Priceless.... That can of Vaseline has probably made for more bantering in my garage with friends than anything else......

I started using vaseline when priming LC2 Buick engines. Never had a failure from using it so in it goes during any build. The theory is there that it isn't needed but that's how I do it and it just my way of doing it. Anything that changes to a thin viscosity when heated will do the same thing.... No right on wrong on this one. It is what it is....

JW

Back, early 90s, I had a 390 rebuilt/complete assembly, installed, fired up and went for a drive. Totally clueless about all this prelube stuff, hearing a lot of rattling , I immediately brought it home. A guy enlightened me about the cause and suggested Vaseline.
I took the miserable route of dropping pan and fighting the pump out. Reinstall.
It picked up immediately, I was one happy camper!
I learned the real hard way.

I've built MANY big block mopars and I have never used anything other than a priming rod , anything else is just unnecessary. that pump should prime in 20 seconds or less

Last edited:
ed up putting the old orig pump back on---priming or not !
I've built MANY big block mopars and I have never used anything other than a priming rod , anything else is just unnecessary. that pump should prime in 20 seconds or less

Read my earlier post------------

-
Back