Oil pump priming. Vaseline needed?

-
Completely UN - necessary!

Take your drill and oil pump priming rod, insert and spin. Have a friend turn the crank to get oil everywhere! Your done.

Vasoline? That guy has got to be kidding us!

If your oil pump, old or new, needs Vasoline to help create suction, then the pump is bad. Once the vasoline gets dispersed into the engine (that can’t be good!) what will you do once the oil pump is cleared of it? Take off the pump and re apply vasoline for the spring start up? Non sense! Total nonsense!

Not so, way old precaution, even suggested by the old time Chrysler engineers . I have seen people use heavy wheel bearing grease too, wait, that was me ! Just not very much. really heavy oil will work in most cases.

Sorry Bob. I’ll have to agree on disagreeing.
I have always, only used an oil priming rod and and drill with zero issues over the last 25 years.

I see zero reasons to introduce foreign material or odd oil into the system. If the oil pump doesn’t pump up with decent pressure, there is a problem with ether the oil pump or within the engine. So it then is ether a missing oil galley plug, blocked oil passage or a bad pump.

Completely UN - necessary!

Take your drill and oil pump priming rod, insert and spin. Have a friend turn the crank to get oil everywhere! Your done.

Vasoline? That guy has got to be kidding us!

If your oil pump, old or new, needs Vasoline to help create suction, then the pump is bad. Once the vasoline gets dispersed into the engine (that can’t be good!) what will you do once the oil pump is cleared of it? Take off the pump and re apply vasoline for the spring start up? Non sense! Total nonsense!

IMO, both Vasoline and Lubriplate are both too thick. I have seen Lubriplate stop an oil pump from picking up prime, first hand. Vasoline is even thicker. Prime the oil pump with what it was intended to pump. MOTOR OIL.

Now, I would endorse disassembling the pump, which you should do anyway to check and correct clearances, and putting a THIN FILM of Vasoline as an initial lubricant. There would be nothing wrong with THAT. But to prime it totally with Vasoline.......eh......no.

I have always, only used an oil priming rod and and drill with zero issues over the last 25 years.

I see zero reasons to introduce foreign material or odd oil into the system. If the oil pump doesn’t pump up with decent pressure, there is a problem with ether the oil pump or within the engine. So it then is ether a missing oil galley plug, blocked oil passage or a bad pump.

A lot of trans pumps are gear rotor style and it is highly recommended to pack them with assembly grease when assembling.
Personally I never pack them full because I believe it puts a huge strain on the driving parts of the pump, but just a good coat on the gears so air doesn't get around them on the first fireup.

A lot of trans pumps are gear rotor style and it is highly recommended to pack them with assembly grease when assembling.
Personally I never pack them full because I believe it puts a huge strain on the driving parts of the pump, but just a good coat on the gears so air doesn't get around them on the first fireup.
Weren’t we talking about engine oil pumps?

I just walk away from this and transmission pumps.

Why do I look on the internet for opinions on a problem that doesn't exist. I don't. lol

I am not relying on YouTube. I have service manuals plus Andy’s book and years of experience. I had never seen the Vaseline idea before. We can always learn from the wisdom of others. YouTube is just another medium for disseminating information but not the answer for everything. Check and more importantly double check the source before believing anything or anyone.

Using something other than what the factory service manual or other well known published manuals isn't wisdom. It's going "the other way". Youtube can be a decent resource, but it's also SLAM full of misinformation.

I don't know about that statement Rusty. We have all done things that aren't in the service manual, including you. Just saying.

Using something other than what the factory service manual or other well known published manuals isn't wisdom. It's going "the other way". Youtube can be a decent resource, but it's also SLAM full of misinformation.

I don't know about that statement Rusty. We have all done things that aren't in the service manual, including you. Just saying.

I agree with both of you.
Youtube is a great resource, but you just don't take everything as truth or fact either.

If I would have stuck to the service manual I'd still have a 318 running 0 degrees of initial advance.
The manual left things hanging in 1973 in my cars case, and from there on is up to me.:D (like the Ford scoop for one):realcrazy:

I agree with that, but using something with the viscosity of Vasoline to prime an oil pump.......even Kitty knows that ain't right. lol

Then idea is just to help the pump parts suck up the oil. Any grease with a low melting point will work. I use a little white lube, but you don't need to pack the pump. You only need to heavy coat the halves of the rotors. Then use a priming shaft.

I have pre lubed every engine I have ever built too !
Ever put a new Chrysler pump on a 426 hemi, and it not pick up ?

built too
Then idea is just to help the pump parts suck up the oil. Any grease with a low melting point will work. I use a little white lube, but you don't need to pack the pump. You only need to heavy coat the halves of the rotors. Then use a priming shaft.
-------------this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have pre lubed every engine I have ever built too !
Ever put a new Chrysler pump on a 426 hemi, and it not pick up ?
While I have not personally worked on a 426 HEMI, I can honestly say I never heard of grand dad ever saying he did or needed to do anything for an oil pump to help it start up oil flow. He is pictured below (right side) with his race car. I’ll listen to him first before I follow any internet mumbo jumbo.

5A9BB1DD-3FB6-4691-9AD9-AB34DC8969B2.jpeg

Now, I’m back out of this. Everyone enjoy!

Heavy grease is not necessary. Just pour a little oil into the pump when installing and slap it "on" there.

WHEN YOU PRIME the pump pull the filter OFF the engine. This removes all head pressure from the pump. It should prime in just about 1 second. Someone above said it will even prime with a speed wrench, which is true. Once you get oil out of the filter mount YOU KNOW it will pump. Install the filter and twist the pump

Different means to the same end. Makes no difference the approach. I fill the filter, use the grease on the vanes of the pump, and it pressurizes immediately. As long as it primes for you, happy days.

prelube . they used to pack oil pumps years ago , not needed in Mopars . Get the tool and a 1/2" drill . spin the tool clockwise for small blocks , counter clockwise for big blocks until you get oil to the rockers . Spin and rotate , done

One thing people always forget to do and makes for faster oil up .... fill the filter with oil before screwing it on... wet the pump "oil in hole while turning before bolting on" and fill the filter with oil. Other fav is the beer can funnel into the bowl vents to fill them too..

I have never had a problem priming with engine oil. Not once. When I first joined here, I couldn't believe the number of people that had what I considered to be "weird" problems. Overheating, no priming, low oil pressure and on and on and on. Yes, I've had some issues through the years, God knows I ain't perfect, but dammit, I swear this place has a pile of people who've had issues I've never experienced

prelube . they used to pack oil pumps years ago , not needed in Mopars . Get the tool and a 1/2" drill . spin the tool clockwise for small blocks , counter clockwise for big blocks until you get oil to the rockers . Spin and rotate , done

That still didn`t help a new Chrysler hemi / hi volume pump from picking up !
Priming or not.
ANY coating of thicker lube with a low melting point is good and usually helps.
Vaseline was even suggested by some Chrysler engineers for intake gaskets on the 426 hemi`s ! It is gone at about 100 some degrees and not enough there to hurt or degrade anything----------

Last edited:
-
Back