Oil question

-

Petty Blu 72

Reaction score
What would you all recommend for oil in my 340?
Don't know much about the specs on this car from previous owner in Alta
Loma Ca, but I am trying to reach the owner that had it before in Madera Ca. Maybe some one out there recognizes this car?
It certainly has a thumpy cam, and revs quick. I can tell a lot of high performance parts were used. Funny thing, the last owner had it since 2007, drove it 1500 miles or so, and did not change oil, or even remove the wheels! It has an over sized oil pan, so not sure how many quarts it takes. Not even sure what year block the 340 is. I can run those numbers later I guess. I am sure at one point is was used for bracket or quarter mile drag, just because of reverse valve body trans, no heat, radio, gas gauge,etc.

Anyway, I'll get to my question, what viscosity and brand of oil would you guys recommend? 8)

Attachments

• blue duster engine.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 204
  • Duster interior garage.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 179
VR1 Racing oil is my choice, 10-30 or 50 Weight

Attachments

• p6.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 147
  • 299516_1813228309165_1793770338_1214541_460617294_n.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 143
Definitely stick with a high zinc oil. 10w-30 is a good all-around viscosity. Personally I feel that straight weight oils are "obsolete" and 20w-50 is a higher viscosity than needed.

I prefer and use Amsoil Synthetics in everything. Synthetics can provide an extra measure of insurance/protection, mileage, HP and drain intervals.

Info and list of high zinc Amsoil products: [ame]http://www.amsoil.com/techservicesbulletin/MotorOil/TSB%20MO-2007-08-08%20Flat%20Tappet.pdf[/ame]

Post more photos, including the oil pan. Even if it's a 6-8 quart pan, you don't need to run it to full capacity. A quart or two below max. (5 qt. minimum) helps keep the oil level away from the crank and the windage it generates. I have an 8 qt. pan in my race car and 5 quarts of Amsoil 5w-20 Dominator is plenty for it in my application.

Bradd Penn has zinc and is available in diffrent weights to suit your needs. He didnt nead a heater in ga its usually warm there and it looks like it didnt drive it much. I personnaly run royal purple in my car and have had good luck with it. Todays oils are so much better than 40 years ago its more a personal performance.

Like Locomotion said, stick with a high-zinc-content oil to be on the safe side if you don't know whether you've got a flat tappet or roller cam. You'll need the high-zinc oil with a flat tappet cam.
You should be fine with 10W-30 with your mild weather in Antioch.
It would be good to know the internal bearing clearances to determine if you might need to go to a heavier weight of oil.

Thanks for all the advice. I am going to try to contact previous owner, if possible, to find out more details. I don't really want to drive it with that older oil in it. But when it is changed, I am gonna put the petal to the metal!:thumbup:
Hope this rain clears soon so I can!

Just so you know, Rotella T (triple protection) 15-40 has 1,200 ppm of zinc and runs about 14 bucks for a gallon.
Wal Mart carries it.
That would be a decent weight for where you live also.

If it is cold where you are at, I would recommend 10w30 or 10w40 high zinc oil.

For summertime I recommend 20w40 or 20w50 high zinc oil.

-
Back