Oil to used

-

bryan

Reaction score
I have a 1973 440 in my 68 barracuda has been rebuilt sometime ago what is a good oil to used in it. It has a trw piston 10.5 to 1 and 509 hydraulic cam steel crank with 915 heads on it. I have been using 10w30 Castrol in it is that oil fine to used or do I need some racing oil? My lifters on the driver side front is making a ticking sound someone told me is the oil that I'm using. Is that true or not

I have trusted Castrol/GTX in everything from our four stroke dirt and street bikes as well as every car we own for a looong time and never been sorry.

The oil question is an age old one with many opinions.

As to the lifter question, I have to doubt the oil is the problem there as I have NEVER had an issue like that with Castrol if everything in the motor was good.

Very good chance your ticking lifter is a lobe wearing, due to these modern oils...... I would pull the valve cover and make sure that valve is opening all the way, if all is good, consider yourself lucky, and then run a oil designed for flat tappet cams, NOT a off the shelf 10/30. JMHO

Ima not gonna tell you about the cheap bargain-store oil, bought on sale, stuff I buy, cuz nobody believes that story. In my defense, since I dropped 2 lobes off a cam back in about 04, I have moved up a little. I'm now using the zinc additive.

Mobil 1 15/50. You can buy it anywhere and it has a lot of Zinc for flat tappet cams. Make sure it is the 15/50, that is the only off the shelf Mobil 1 that has the Zinc.

-
Back