Oil Underneath Intake

-

srduster340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Any ideas what's causing this. The areas surrounding the intake are dry. Not from oil pressure switch, valve covers. I'm stumped. Can't see anything when the engine is running of course.

IMG_20230820_142032.jpg

Oil is likely getting wicked up by the threads on the intake bolts and then pooling at the low point once it drips off the base of the intake bolt heads.

Putting thread sealant on each of the intake bolts (when you screw them in) prevents the oil from coming up.

Never thought of that. I will definitely put some sealant on the intake bolts. I thought the intake was cracked and it was coming up thru the bottom of the intake. Thanks a lot dude.

This fuel that we use in our cars, that looks clear, turns brown just like that too.

Double check- no, triple check that your valve covers (gaskets) are actually sealing- it's a known issue with air gap style (AG, Victor, S. Victor, etc.) manifolds that they have extra material above the runners (just in case you feel the need to hog the ports out more) and this material can and does keep the valve covers from sealing down like they should along the top of the manifold. Commonly people grind part of the offending valve cover rail away to allow the cover to tighten all the way down, but a good set of valve cover spacers will accomplish the same thing.

Yeah I did grind the valve covers to clear the manifold. Where do I get spacers?

Fel-Pro makes some very thick valve cover gaskets.

Fabricated aluminum valve covers? If you used the bolts that came with, the leak is probably from the VCs.

I found the cheap bolts that came with mine were stretching. I was running them snugged down and was getting oil in th valley. It was only after I actually tried to torque them and one almost broke.
I ordered new bolts, washers and used a ream to open the counter bore up to 7/16 for a thicker ss washer
Bolt - McMaster-Carr
Washer - McMaster-Carr

Last edited:
I had a similar issue with oil in the valley. I had installed fabricated aluminum Valve covers on my IMM built 416 with Indy W2 heads. I tried a couple sets, each leaking oil in the valley area after making a pass. Finally found that the valve covers were 1/4” too wide for the head mating surface. Ended up purchasing a set of Holley Sniper covers, which were 1/4” narrower, solved the problem.

IMG_5442.jpeg

IMG_5452.jpeg

-
Back