oiling timing chain

-
There is a fog of oil saturating the chain while running . I dont see a big need for direct oiling. A 2stroke engine in a dirtbike oils the bottom end in this manor and thats running a 50:1 ratio of fuel to oil.
Modern cars use tensioners and run well in excess of 100k with few issues.

How many times have you pulled a timing cover off and found the fuel pump eccentric is shot? Many times. “Fog” oiling, splash...whatever you want to call it is minimal at best. A .040 hole in the retaining plate provides direct oil to the whole timing cover area, under pressure. It won’t drop the oil pressure 1 pound. That bolt with the hole does little. The drip tray is the same. The oil slinger? I get rid of them.

There is no excuse to A) not use a tensioner and B) get some oil there. I don’t care how “good” the chain is, it’s still a chain. It needs oil and it needs a tensioner on it. Chain whip is real.

They bought a new chain.
They are serviceable for a reason, running quiet has a lifespan. They could all have gears like a diesel...just wouldn't be very quiet .What's the factory timing chain replacement interval, 75k-100k?
They aren't gear drives...so they aren't meant to last forever.

They bought a new chain.
They are serviceable for a reason, running quiet has a lifespan. They could all have gears like a diesel...just wouldn't be very quiet .What's the factory timing chain replacement interval, 75k-100k?
They aren't gear drives...so they aren't meant to last forever.

Yeah, they changed them out at 75-100k but they were worn out at 20k at best.

Yeah, they changed them out at 75-100k but they were worn out at 20k at best.
I had a JP performance get loose that fast and a mancini house brand that was as tight as new..and it ran with almost twice the valve spring. Its the chain. That example is two different brand chains...and jp's from the 90s sucks.

Where can you get "quality" tensioners nowadays? I only heard mention of MP ones in this thread. I HIGHLY doubt they are available anymore lol.

Where can you get "quality" tensioners nowadays? I only heard mention of MP ones in this thread. I HIGHLY doubt they are available anymore lol.
Got the MP one from Mancini a few years back, they still list them for $46 or so. Planning on phone ordering one tomorrow for my sons engine, hopefully. I’ll buy it and we’ll run it in your honor:p

Tensioners......Some call it a band aid, I call it a “supplemental”:lol:

Why can't People just build what they want the way they want to without being insulted and made fun of? I think some of yall need a timing chain crammed up your *** sometimes. I like the idea of pressurized oil to the chain, and that's what mine is gonna get. Put a tampon in your engine. I don't give a ****.

Last edited:
Why hasn't gear drive been brought up? No more chain problems then. Just stirring the pot. It looks like it was getting ready to boil over. :poke:
:popcorn:

Why hasn't gear drive been brought up? No more chain problems then. Just stirring the pot. It looks like it was getting ready to boil over. :poke:
:popcorn:
Yeah, you think splash oiling is good enough for gears? I don't. Pressurized oil to the chain is a win win, unless you drill the hole so BIG you get a pressure drop. Other than that, there's no down side.

.....and I didn't bring up gear drive, because of course, I'm a slant 6 guy. Even though I did figure out the 440 gear drive swap on my slant 6, I'm still not 100% sure I'm gonna do it.

Here is the bulletin Chrysler used when the chains were rattling on the early Dakotas. There was a recall due to the chains being loose from the cam to crank bore being to close. It was after this that everyone started using the bandaid tensioner. Do not use this on a roller chain. Also it is just more parts to worry about failing.

They make different length chain sets to correct chain slack. That is the proper way. If you are just doing a low budget street engine use what ever your heart desires.

https://es-mx.drivcat.com/livedocs/1014.pdf
Chrysler never issued a recall for the timing chain tensioner. It was, as you pointed out, a TSB, Technical Service Bulletin. A recall is only issued for safety related concerns and a noisy valve train would never make that.

This was directed towards the 3.9 V6 only and didn’t include the 5.2 or 5.9 V8’s. Chain stretch coupled with the unique harmonics of the V6 gave it a noise that resembled a bad or noisy lifters. I worked at Enfield Chrysler Plymouth (along with a few other CPD stores from 1984 till 2004) and we did quite a few of these over the years after dealing with the customer concerns of the noise.

I also use them in my small block builds.

Cliff Ramsdell
2115B411-CD53-4187-89B1-4255B21B81C6.jpeg
642651A2-E4A0-4737-8067-5280E0148B36.jpeg

Chrysler never issued a recall for the timing chain tensioner. It was, as you pointed out, a TSB, Technical Service Bulletin. A recall is only issued for safety related concerns and a noisy valve train would never make that.

This was directed towards the 3.9 V6 only and didn’t include the 5.2 or 5.9 V8’s. Chain stretch coupled with the unique harmonics of the V6 gave it a noise that resembled a bad or noisy lifters. I worked at Enfield Chrysler Plymouth (along with a few other CPD stores from 1984 till 2004) and we did quite a few of these over the years after dealing with the customer concerns of the noise.

I also use them in my small block builds.

Cliff Ramsdell
View attachment 1715842791 View attachment 1715842792
That was my understanding, was that the V6 was what the tensioners were exclusively used on. That's all I've ever seen them on, in original appliactions. Never torn an original small block down that had one.

Extra oiling or not. Use a tensioner or not. I have done both with no issues. Personal preference, no right or wrong here. I used a tensioner on my 273 with double roller. Really un necessary. I drilled the galley plug for more lube. Probably unnecessary. Thought it might leak because of all the oil. It doesn't. Go for it guys, everything works.

That was my understanding, was that the V6 was what the tensioners were exclusively used on. That's all I've ever seen them on, in original appliactions. Never torn an original small block down that had one.

Correct. It was just applied to the 3.9 V6 and while the TSB didn’t call out the early motors from 1987 to 1989 we used them in those also to address the same issue.

TSB’s are only covered by your warranty, so 7/70 back then. If you were out by time or mileage it was a retail job.

Cliff Ramsdell

And if using a double roller then get one of these. As a set or add your own roller. No mismatch with the MP tensioner and a Summit Billet roller set I’m using.
F9A2D83E-C18E-4692-BD69-9A13E337A2B0.png
69F346DB-5F80-4145-B9A8-CFA830360FAB.png

I can’t say whether the Mancini version is the same as the MP. Might be like the Cloyes? Anyway, Get the right one for your application if you want to run one or don’t. :thumbsup:

All I know... is people who drill the galley plug for direct pressurized oiling off the main...the oil pissing out is hitting the cam sprocket and fanning off into the timing cover around it. Look at the shape of the cam sprocket and tell me the oil isn't just flying off. The chain itself at rpm is THROWING THE OIL OFF.
Ask yourself why they designed the roller chain. It works fine. Could you prove it doesn't ?
If people could see their ideas in motion/at work.. they might find it's for nothing.
You just made another internal oil leak.

Now the bolt with the hole, the lifters and rockers oil returning into the valley, dripping through that bolt down to the plate 'if it's not grabbed by windage'..hitting the drip tab and off that onto the chain.
The slinger is also fanning oil up and around as well as shielding the front seal from direct splash and keep it from leaking in short time.

You don't need direct pressure oiling and you couldn't aim it for **** without some messy pressure testing of it where you make an angled piss hole and cross your fingers it doesnt just hit and fly off the gear missing the chain all together. Nice thought..but pointless and unnecessary.

Last edited:
-
Back