Oily film on windows

-

JoeSBP

RLTW!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Anytime my Valiant sits out in the sun for a few days, I end up with an oily film inside the windows. Uniformly on all glass. Carpet/floorpan is bone dry, I pressure tested heater core, no funky smell or residue on anything else, just the glass.

Any suggestions on the cause??

Anytime my Valiant sits out in the sun for a few days, I end up with an oily film inside the windows. Uniformly on all glass. Carpet/floorpan is bone dry, I pressure tested heater core, no funky smell or residue on anything else, just the glass.

Do you use any sort of protecorant on the interior like Armor-all or similar?

unless you have a leaky heater core it is outgasing. That is when the oils in the plastics get airborne. Do you have a restored interior ?

unless you have a leaky heater core it is outgasing. That is when the oils in the plastics get airborne. Do you have a restored interior ?
Maybe one of the passenger's is "outgasing"????:rofl:and it's fogging up the windows!!

its just the plastics outgasing.... I have cleaned 3 cars in the last week with same issue.

What do you clean the insides with? My Mistubishi Diamante did this heavily.

Every car we own does this. Glass cleaner like a ****, twice a year.

I use the window washer stuff supplied at the petrol station....2 big pieces of hand towel...one fully wet one to wash it off, one large dry piece to buff it clean...seems a lot less work than Windex and works a treat ( for a couple of months )

I have a friend that washes windows for a living ( Makes a freekin good living at it!) and says not to use windex or similar products because they leave a buildup on the glass. He uses a squirt of Dawn in a bucket of water.
I still use window cleaner....lol
I also use carwax. Even on my home windows.

Use rubbing alcohol and news paper it'll clean that glass like a **** and won't cost you a fortune to keep clean! I had the same problem with a 70' RR I once owned used that and it took it right off.

We have a Dart with a fairly new interior that does this, and it is outgassing of the vinyl.
If we leave the windows down an inch or so it doesn't build up on the windows.

-
Back