Ok...another whats it worth, but an E body

-

shadango

Reaction score
I know this is the a body forum....and I dont know how you guys feel about e-bodies...

But I came across this car and was wondering what you think...red flags, etc.....I also posted on the e body forum.....

+++++++++++++++
Well, I came across a 73 that keeps drawing me to it....although I think it may have more issues that I want to deal with..or maybe not?

It looks like the car has been repaired and maybe painted once before...quarters etc at least...and they need repaired again......the inner fenders need work as where the hood hinges mount, its basically air it looks like....Would that just mean pulling thefront fenders arnd repairing (if I didnt want to replace the whole innerfender for now I mean)?The body work it needs may not be a big deal....for this car I could deal with having primer spots till I could afford to get a paint job......LOL......but if the inner fenders have those holes? Wouldnt that seem to mean that there are other major issues lurking?

The guy sent me tons of photos so he isnt trying to hide anything.....

Here is the description he gave:
This Challenger was a daily driver til about 6 years ago. Have owned this car for the past 22 years. The original 318 runs great. Had a valve job, timing chain and gears shortly before it was taken off the road, however I believe it does need freeze plugs. The 904 transmission was replaced with a rebuilt 727 transmission, however the pressures need adjusting in the new transmission. The original 904 and driveshaft comes with this auction. I quit driving the car on the road due to the brake lines look very rusted, however the brakes do still work. The car does have plenty of rust in all the usual places, but not as bad as many that I have seen. The dash is in very good condition except for a tiny 1 -2 inch split near the screw hole for the speaker. Hard to see unless looking for it. I also hit a couple of deer so the fiberglass parts in the front are cracked, but I do have an extra fiberglass piece. Hood is a little tweaked. I will include an extra hood with the car.

Here is a link to the photos he sent me (I put them up on my own photobucket site).......you cant zoom in on the photos on photobucket I dont think....the ones he sent me are very high rez so I could zoom in etc.....

http://s349.photobucket.com/albums/q391/shadango_bucket/yellow%20challenger/?albumview=slideshow

What red flags do you guys see? He is asking $6k.....I would go look in person but its almost 5 hrs away, so trying to do some recognisance (sp?). He has been trying to sell since late december, and price has dropped since then to the current price....

Am I crazy for considering this one??

Do you think its worth the $6k? Or am I better off waiting for something better?

I wouldn't pay 6000 for it. Looks like it has some serious sheet metal issues.

Thats kind of what my gut said too, but even for a Challenger?

They are hard to find......or isd this one best left unfound? LOL

I guess it hasnt sold for a reason, eh?

Unless your totally in love with the car and want to spend big money fixing it run away,that thing has some serious rust issues.rear quarters,rocker panels,front fenders and who knows what it looks like under that vinyl roof but from what i can see i'm sure its not pretty,and its only a 318 car..save your $6k i'm sure a nice a-body is out there for you..

Thanks for the reality check...LOL

This is the first e-body I have come across that is even close to being something I would consider in this price range.....up to now they have been really far -gone.

If this were springtime I would hop on the bike and ride down to see it (5 hrs away).....if for no lother reason than a learning experience....at 30 mpg on the bike, not a bad cash loss if it turns out bad plus it would be a nice way to spend a day.....but snow is falling today so thats not happening...my truck gets 10mpg (360 Dodge) so it would end up costing me $100 to go down and back.....

I guess if the pictures look the way it does, it is probably worse in person....seems like so far pictures have always made the cars look better than they are in person.

I found a local 73 Duster, original 318......interior is OK but that crazy green plaid....body has a few holes in it...the guy wants $4200.....its a dealer of sorts.

Didnt hear it run or see the engine...may go back to see it.....I looked under the one side and the frame/floors seemed reall good....but the body, what he said was just surface rust, had a few holes.

Here are some pics of that.....

http://s349.photobucket.com/albums/q391/shadango_bucket/wm duster/?albumview=slideshow

I think its too much $$....not sure if he will come down or not....

Thats kind of what my gut said too, but even for a Challenger?

They are hard to find......or isd this one best left unfound? LOL

I guess it hasnt sold for a reason, eh?
I saw this car on Ebay been there months now..... so why hasn't it sold??? I told my son to drive up and check it out so If he does I'll give you the report...
Don't get carried away with price !!! It costs way too much to fix them up. Your better buying one closer done... Add $4000. to that and you'll notice your options open up... and its SO EASY to get a quick 4k in a car... Not to mention time... And it would be nice to drive it THIS YEAR....
Just my opinion...

I think the Cally is 3500.00 at best. The duster 2500.00 at best. If either one was a 340 with a 340 in it they might grt that money out of them.

I saw this car on Ebay been there months now..... so why hasn't it sold??? I told my son to drive up and check it out so If he does I'll give you the report...
Don't get carried away with price !!! It costs way too much to fix them up. Your better buying one closer done... Add $4000. to that and you'll notice your options open up... and its SO EASY to get a quick 4k in a car... Not to mention time... And it would be nice to drive it THIS YEAR....
Just my opinion...

I guess yours son lives close to that location?

Thanks....I would appreciate your help and his/your advice if he goes up....

That one thing about the web that kind of bites.....now, you can see 100s of cars available.....but most of them are usually a long distance away.....if you followed up on each one and went to see them all, you could dump thousands into travel alone...LOL

I know you are right about the extra $4k and driving this year.....just hoping to spend less.....but maybe I do need to open up my limits a bit......although even at $10k ebodies are about impossible to find (at least around here, from what I have seen).

The Duster I linked to is a driver (he says)......actually, so is the Challenger aside from the brakes issue....

IMO, it's a lil'bit of a hard sell. I have owned my '73 Cuda for 22 years as well. The issue with this car is the floor pans, you'll need 2.
The hood hinge ares on the wall is in need of metal work and a full replacement panel is about way to much and hand fab work is where it'll be at. Quicker and easier than a full replacement. You'll need at least on inner 1/4 and the outter 1/4's still yet need to be revealed on there condition. Though the passenger side has some issues going on there infront of the rear tire.

I believe at this price, if it were a 340 car, it might be OK if this is your kind of car. You gotta want it in order to pay the price.

IMO, it's a lil'bit of a hard sell. I have owned my '73 Cuda for 22 years as well. The issue with this car is the floor pans, you'll need 2.
The hood hinge ares on the wall is in need of metal work and a full replacement panel is about way to much and hand fab work is where it'll be at. Quicker and easier than a full replacement. You'll need at least on inner 1/4 and the outter 1/4's still yet need to be revealed on there condition. Though the passenger side has some issues going on there infront of the rear tire.

I believe at this price, if it were a 340 car, it might be OK if this is your kind of car. You gotta want it in order to pay the price.

Understood. I guess if this car were a steal it would have been gone already.LOL

Someone also picked out an issue with one of the "dog legs" underneath.,....

Hey, IU am REALLY enjoying reading your 318 buildup thread...Havent budged from the PC for aw hile now...LOL

Looks like YOU got yourself into some frame and floor issues, eh? Did you know that stuff going in?

-
Back