ok, got a OLD 8.75 with the nutz on the axle ends, can i use neawer axles?

-

340plot

the bushy bush
Reaction score
ok, i have a 8.75 in my car, but when i took the wheel off, i see it has the big nuts at the ends. someone already did the mod to where the drum comes right off, but i want to do away with them completley. will axles out of another 8.75 a body work without major work or money?

Yes they will. The backing plate and brakes you keep. the axles and such need to go completely. Get new axles the correct length with the brgs., pressed on also the retainer plate. New drums will be required as the aren't gonna fit quite right. Now you have an up to date axle.

X2 nope can do it. The only thing you can use out of it is the center which is a "657 (or something like that)" and they are pretty much the same as a 741 center section.

Yes you can!!!!!!! If it is a 62-64 8 3/4, you can do this all day long. There is nothing different except the way the drums are pressed onto the axles and the axles themselves, change those and you have a 65 and up style rearend.

As long as they are the same length, 30 spline then yes. You need to measure from the end of the splines to the axle flange. get axles the same length and your golden.Yes, I have done this before, so yes it can be done!!

well, the center section in it now says 741 on it, and that is in the old style rear

That doesn't make a difference, 741, 742, or 489 all will swap.

I had an early splined rear and the housing ends had a different bolt pattern. Needed to install moser ends to get the correct pattern for backing plates or redrill for the ones I had.

I still have the housing ends sitting in a junk box to remind me to never assume anything

-
Back