ok i have 2 cams...wich one to use?

-

skycuda67

Reaction score
ok so i now have 2 cams to choose from for my barracuda. One from the engine it had and one from the engine i just bought. they are for a 318 mild built with forged pistons. compression was 9.5:1 for the pistons i think but now it has 340 heads on the 318 so idk what that'll change, make it less, higher, u'll know better than me. first is a mopar purple cam
Adv. Duration: .280°/280°
Dur. @ .050'': 238°/238°
Lift: .474''/.474''
Centerline: 110°
Basic RPM: 2000-6000 RPM

next is and indeskerian: Isky Iskenderian cam 262H. Grind No./Type 262-SUPERCAM HYDRAULIC Low/Mid-Range performance cam. 9.5 1 compr. 3.08-3.70 axle ratio. Passenger cars & trucks. Up to 625 CFM Carb. RPM-Range 2000-5500 Valve Lift - INT .435 EXT .435 Valve Lash Hot - INT

im thinking purple shaft would be a much better choice, and i'll be adding a turbo system on pretty soon with lower boost if that changes the selection at all, but wanted to ask the pro's before i get the engine together tomorrow. promise this'll be my last question for awhile:toothy10: thanks~!

If your adding a turbo, neither cam.

I'd vote for neither. The Isky if it's a place holder. You will want to replace the cam when you run the turbo and get one spec'd just for that. They are much different as Rumble suggests.

I think the Purple cam has too much duration, and the Isky has just a bit too little lift. I'd go with something that has the duration of the Isky but only a little less lift than the Purple Shaft.

Gratiot Auto in Detroit use to have a camshaft as the front door handle. That is where many cams need to be. If you are planning to have the same cam for the turbo, get the correct turbo cam. It will be a dog for now but after the change, it will be boss. You can't expect jellybeans to turn into gold.

well it looks like i should just save my efforts of twin turboing for the 360 afterall. looking like i actually might get the money to do that now! have a core with j heads and rolling assembly, gonna find some 8:1 pistons or around there. you say they make cams for turbo engines? ill go check out summit but anyone know of a really good one youd like to reccomend?

-
Back