Ok old timers , i need your knowledge on this cam ! Direct connection camshaft

-

ValerianMagnum

the little car that could
Reaction score
Okay !!! So since im an eternal dreamer , and slowly building a copy of my 380hp / 360 crate for my next car ( whatever it will be ) i am getting my big boat very soon ( 68 fury 3 fast top 318 ) i was offered a old , direct connection cam / Quite a bit aggressive for the street , in my opinion :

Small-block hydraulic camshaft kit -Adv. duration: 284 Int. 284 Exh./Lift: .484 Int. .484 Exh./Overlap: 68/Centerline: 108.

I was wondering , since i always had rollers ( magnums ) and only 1x flat tappet car back in 2002 ( i was 17 ) I know that a stock 318 is a no go , but compared to a whiplash why wouldnt it work ? Honestly , i just bought a ldb4 intake / electronic ignition kit / dual exhaust and a set of 3.23 s-grip gears , have a couple of trans and torques laying aroun too / used holley dpumper 650 cfm . So why this cam couldnt work in tiny 318 LA , compression is to low ?( I want to buy matching springs for sure) piston to valve clerance ? My ex gf had this cam in a smog 360, ran ok but trans was slipping and it was more a driver then a race car , with dual exhaust and manifods it had a Nice sound too it. So all of this while im buidling the next engine, was wondering if i should buy this N.O.S cam and install it and have fun with this 318 that i have in the car / while not spending a fortune in a stock 318 , A nice chop chop is always nice !!! OR ...Leave the 318 as is and forget the pruple cam until my FUTUR magnum swap ! Hey dont Forget i dont know everything , the # 1 rule of this hobby is to have fun and enjoying our cars and lof course learning !

Last edited:
if it's got the stock 318, that means it should have half decent compression. with the LD4 and and a reasonable carb, it should do alright. it's not ideal, but it'll run. the 650 DP wouldn't be my first choice with the setup, but will probably make it feel faster than it actually is.

a bit of converter behind it will do wonders.

personally, if i was rolling a teener in landbarge like that i'd be looking to find all the torque i could get my greasy hands on.

if you're getting that bumpstick for free, fine. but if you're shelling out dough, there's way better options.

68 is a 9.2:1 motor (as advertised) but might be lower.

Since that is a "single pattern" cam, it really wants headers.

I ran the big block version of that cam in a fresh build 9.5:1 383 with headers.
I was told it was "one size too big" and that I absolutely needed a high stall converter (which I did not do).
It was a bit difficult to tune and find a carb it was happy with but after sorting that out it was just fine.

All that said, IMO that actually is too big of a cam for an otherwise stock 318.

A friend has the 280/480 MP cam in a 73 340 with headers and 3.55 gears.
It's very aggressive. he did initially over-converter it with a 3500, but has since put something less severe in it but I don't know what.

BTW he built that 340 (in a 73 Challenger) around the same time I built the 383 (in a 70 Super Bee).
Initially he had 3.91 gears while I had 3.55.
Those two cars were a very even match on the street.
Mine had better daily driving and highway manners.

Last edited:
That is the old "Street Hemi" grind. Supposedely the last step for a street car. I ran a 284 duration solid cam in my 273 Barracuda, but it was a 4 speed car. I liked it but we are all different in what we like and can put up with. The 273 ran best with a 268 duration cam, but that was also with better heads, intake and carb. It also shows how easy to fall for design creep. How much can you get the cam for?

My buddy and I used to run the 280/480 street hemi grind cam. When that one came out we switched up to it. We saw no gain in ET at the track and the idle was way worse. This is not a cam I would use in a heavy car.

Okay !!! So since im an eternal dreamer , and slowly building a copy of my 380hp / 360 crate for my next car ( whatever it will be ) i am getting my big boat very soon ( 68 fury 3 fast top 318 ) i was offered a old , direct connection cam / Quite a bit aggressive for the street , in my opinion :

Small-block hydraulic camshaft kit -Adv. duration: 284 Int. 284 Exh./Lift: .484 Int. .484 Exh./Overlap: 68/Centerline: 108.

I was wondering , since i always had rollers ( magnums ) and only 1x flat tappet car back in 2002 ( i was 17 ) I know that a stock 318 is a no go , but compared to a whiplash why wouldnt it work ? Honestly , i just bought a ldb4 intake / electronic ignition kit / dual exhaust and a set of 3.23 s-grip gears , have a couple of trans and torques laying aroun too / used holley dpumper 650 cfm . So why this cam couldnt work in tiny 318 LA , compression is to low ?( I want to buy matching springs for sure) piston to valve clerance ? My ex gf had this cam in a smog 360, ran ok but trans was slipping and it was more a driver then a race car , with dual exhaust and manifods it had a Nice sound too it. So all of this while im buidling the next engine, was wondering if i should buy this N.O.S cam and install it and have fun with this 318 that i have in the car / while not spending a fortune in a stock 318 , A nice chop chop is always nice !!! OR ...Leave the 318 as is and forget the pruple cam until my FUTUR magnum swap ! Hey dont Forget i dont know everything , the # 1 rule of this hobby is to have fun and enjoying our cars and lof course learning !
That cam is not by any stretch of imagination a good choice for a stock 318 or the combo you have laid out. You will be better off with the stock cam for a driver than trying to make that 484 cam work. Your car doesn't have the compression, cubes, gear, or converter to use the purpleshaft.

Do not use that cam, it is way too much for a 318.
I used it back in high school, with a 4-speed and 3.91 gears, it sucked really bad, no low end.

I ran the 284/484 in a 318 with j heads cut .060 with a rpm dual plane and a 3310 750. 2800 stall and 3.91s. Soft down low but ran good up high. Needed more converter and more gear and that was in a stripped down 71 dart. I wouldn’t even think of running it in a heavy car with a stock 318, stock converter and street gearing

That's a pretty big cam. I would use the best heads your budget can afford. Get compression to 9.5, use headers and install the cam down around 102 or 100 ICL. You're gonna need some gear and I would use a tight 3800 converter.

that cam wants compression, converter and gears.

284° Hydraulic: P4120231​

Intake Duration, Nominal​

284°​

Exhaust Duration, Nominal​

284°​

Intake Duration @ .050”​

241°​

Exhaust Duration @ .050”​

241°​

Intake Lobe Centerline​

108° ATDC​

Exhaust Lobe Centerline​

108° BTDC​

Lobe Separation Angle​

108°​

Overlap​

68°​

Intake Opens​

34° BTDC​

Exhaust Opens​

70° BBDC​

Intake Closes​

70° ABDC​

Exhaust Closes​

34° ATDC​

Intake Lift​

.484"​

Exhaust Lift​

.484"​

Note: as installed on 108° centerline per Chrysler​

I was wondering if a 2500 Stall and 3.23 gears , magnum manifolds or cheap headers / 2.5 double exhaust could make it work....yes i.will cost me a very small amount of money and its a Nos unit still in box , but i dont want to trow 2k On the 318 either, slowly buying parts to duplicate my 380hp 360 crate....

Find a different camshaft. Or buy the cam and set it aside for a different build.

My 2 cents

I was wondering if a 2500 Stall and 3.23 gears , magnum manifolds or cheap headers / 2.5 double exhaust could make it work....yes i.will cost me a very small amount of money and its a Nos unit still in box , but i dont want to trow 2k On the 318 either, slowly buying parts to duplicate my 380hp 360 crate....
A 2500 converter in a Torqueflite is a stock converter. It'll be a dead dog.

that cam wants 3.91 - 4.10 gear, especially with a heavier car.. and 3K+ converter.

I would not waste time and money with an old school cam. I'm sure it can be made to haul but there just seems to be better options out there.

I've used that cam before 340/4 speed 4.10 gear. Bearly worked with that. No way to use on a 318. Sell it.

Don't, just don't even think about using the cam.
If I still had a NOS one and was going to run it, I would be at least 11.1 on compression, 5000 stall converter and some real low gears at least 4.88
I have run that cam years ago, it does not work in your application.

It was a great cam in a high compression 340 back in the day. I ran one for 3 years in a 340 Dart with a 2800 stall converter and it was fun. Dropped down a notch when the engine was gone through again because it went in a strictly street car.

The extra money [ converter etc ] to make this 'streetable' for a 318 in a heavy barge will far outweigh the cost of the correct cam versus a cheap, but unsuitable cam. Isky 270 Mega is the biggest I would use.

I bought a NOS 284-484 cam at a swap meet years ago. I asked the seller what the deal was with the new cam and lifters. He said he was going to install it in his 360 in a big Dodge work van. We're in Nebraska-it does get cold here-I told him that he would have been sorely disappointed, he thanked me and sold it to me.

I would not waste time and money with an old school cam. I'm sure it can be made to haul but there just seems to be better options out there.
The problem with camshafts is unless you do a lot of homework and math on it, but still IMO, the only actual way you’ll know which cam is the best cam is to dyno test each one.

I’ve said this before, “There’s always a better cam.”

The MP cams were always pretty good. They were never a great cam IMO. If you at least followed there suggestions in the “Tips section” of the MP books, the time zones listed were easily met. The combos worked. The cam and other parts did there job & met the goal if not exceeded it.

The thing I liked best about the MP cams was their lift was never to screaming high as to worry about its usage. Not to say you couldn’t get yourself into trouble …. LOL!

I bought a NOS 284-484 cam at a swap meet years ago. I asked the seller what the deal was with the new cam and lifters. He said he was going to install it in his 360 in a big Dodge work van. We're in Nebraska-it does get cold here-I told him that he would have been sorely disappointed, he thanked me and sold it to me.
You fellas in the middle of the country see the most extreme temperatures changes. Summer is a sizzling hot frying pan and winter is a Mutha-F’er bone chilling event.

That cam you purchased from that guy was a good move for both. You’re 100% right about that cam in the van. He would have been pissed and cursed a lot. That’s a “Wrong Cam” application if I ever seen one.

You use that cam in a boat with a 318, a low stall converter and that gearing you’d just be doing a 2023 version of guys that did so in the early 80’s. Running around with a killer idle and not much else. Back then with not much for actual user reviews, access to experiences and advice? Of course, That’s how it was for many.
Today with an abundance of info at your fingertips? Makes no sense. Longing to build a turd? Not in your wildest hallucinations! Buy a cheap Summit cam like a #1789 or something. At least you’d be in the ballpark:poke:

I know guys who ran that in 340's with squeeze, & like YY1 I ran the B version in a 383 with the stk. '66 9.2:1 in My case, no power brakes when it's chilly out until it warms up a bit. I ran a 4-gear, no way I would run anything less than a 3,500stall with that squeeze, & I'm talking 383...
I can't fathom that cam ran good in a smog 360, top-end sure, but bottom-end had to be lame at best.
My opinion, it's a great hot-street cam, not for Your project.

That is the old "Street Hemi" grind. Supposedely the last step for a street car. I ran a 284 duration solid cam in my 273 Barracuda, but it was a 4 speed car. I liked it but we are all different in what we like and can put up with. The 273 ran best with a 268 duration cam, but that was also with better heads, intake and carb. It also shows how easy to fall for design creep. How much can you get the cam for?
Actually, the "old Street-Hemi" grind was a dual-pattern, and the single-pattern that replaced it was the 280°/.470" stick.

-
Back