Okay what gives with this....hecho en china or hecho en korea?

-

bremereric

Reaction score
http://www.starperformanceproducts.com/Hydraulic-Retro-Roller-Lifters-BB-Mopar-Anti-Pump-Up-2972.htm

2957%20chev%20roller%20hyd.php.jpg

Hydraulic Retro Roller Lifters, BB Mopar, Anti Pump-Up. Designed engines that were not originally equipped with roller lifters. Anti Pump-Up lifters bleed down slightly at higher RPM so that the valves will not float at high RPM. This retains proper valve seating at high RPM. Fits 383-440. Set of 16 lifters. 0.904" Diameter

You know Id like to see an entire motor done with them types of parts. That site sells alot of Proform. But I would like to see the durability of some of them parts.

You know Id like to see an entire motor done with them types of parts. That site sells alot of Proform. But I would like to see the durability of some of them parts.
I got a call into them about the price....127 bucks for a set of 16...no fricken way

:sign4:

Okay a very nice guy called me back...they are out of stock and back ordered on the lifters...you do get 16 or 8 pairs for that price...I told him that Comp Cam's and Scorpion and his were the only ones I that really made them....he told me that Comp and them were all probably coming from the same factory?.....:computer:

My impression is if they are really that cheap, and there's a markup, and frieght from where-ever, that there are significant differences in the manufacturing between them and the higher priced brands. I'd run a used flat tappet with mismatched used ofters in something before I ran a set of $128 roller lifters. The same result would be expected.
"You cannot get something for nothing". So if you are not paying, you're not getting. Simple as that.

If I ran one of these mopar magazines that's what I would do. Buy up all the cheap parts put it together and put it on a dyno.

he told me that Comp and them were all probably coming from the same factory

Right, of course he did. And did he offer any proof for this guess of his?

To answer your original question: Probably China and very likely junk.

There are a lot of very good auto parts (and other things) coming out of Korea.

I wanna see what some of these parts can do. There so many war stories and very few having good luck with them. Dyno would be cool but would much rather see this stuff in a bracket car taking a pounding week after week.

What is still made in the USA anymore?
Even Harley Davidson has parts coming from Japan.
I saw a bar code that had Harley Davidson on it but had "Made in Japan" on it also. Saw this on a motorcycle thread in which we was discussing the very same thing.

If I was in market for bb heads, I would consider these http://www.starperformanceproducts....d-72cc-Chamber-BB-Mopar-361-440-Bare-3068.htm

I can't understand why people run from something because it cost less, we aren't talking pro wings vs nike here.....and besides, nike and the rest [minus new balance] are all made mostly outside of the USA...like most everything but the sticker the says made in the usa...iM sure it was

If I was in market for bb heads, I would consider these http://www.starperformanceproducts....d-72cc-Chamber-BB-Mopar-361-440-Bare-3068.htm

I can't understand why people run from something because it cost less, we aren't talking pro wings vs nike here.....and besides, nike and the rest [minus new balance] are all made mostly outside of the USA...like most everything but the sticker the says made in the usa...iM sure it was
I saw those heads to...but they still don't beat the price of the china 440 Source heads that come complete and not bare...I saw a set of those ported on a 520 stroker that runs in the high nines....

I decided to put a roller cam in my car this year.
I had a set of Hughs lifters in the garage .
Called Hughs up and they said they wouldn't Hold up to the spring pressure.
Had to buy a set of comp lifters for $850 and this was missed priced,Summit wants $1050
Be very carefull on cheap parts

If the price is dirt cheap, there has to be a reason. Did they make or purchase too many and need to reduce inventory, or.... Are they cheap knock offs of the real McCoy. Look, If I told you that I don't have any Chinese tools in my garage, I'd be lieing, but as far as I'm concerned If they are Chinese knock offs, don't buy them, don't use them. I realize that alot of castings such as cranks and rods come from there now because thats where most of the worlds foundries are now, but a hydraulic roller lifter is alot more complicated and has a bunch of small very close tollerence parts and if there is a failure it'll likely trash your motor. I also would not put a Chinese harmonic balancer on anything because I like all the people who work the starting line at the track, and I'd hate to have one come apart an kill one of them.

1wild&crazyguy. We're not talking about footwear here. These are critical parts that go inside an engine and if they fail they can ruin the engine, block and all. I run away from parts like that. If it were an intake manifold or headers the only risk is poor fit and/or performance, but even those I steer clear of the chinese crap because I don't want to buy parts built with stolen R&D and risk American jobs.

Cost of putting A roller cam in my race car $4300.
All new quality parts and machine work.
Not wanting to have a question at the line about parts.

I used Lunati solid rollers in my 383 and they have been in it since 1988. Didn't have to bush the lifter bores either. Around 320 bucks back then.

My impression is if they are really that cheap, and there's a markup, and frieght from where-ever, that there are significant differences in the manufacturing between them and the higher priced brands. I'd run a used flat tappet with mismatched used ofters in something before I ran a set of $128 roller lifters. The same result would be expected.
"You cannot get something for nothing". So if you are not paying, you're not getting. Simple as that.

Amen 2 that!!!

Your kidding right!! Have you bought a set of 12.00 WalMart sneakers, or any of there sneakers for that matter? I have & there socks too, Many times because they were "cheap", Now were they "cheap", you bet your *** they are, but in the long run you don't save jack, especially when they only last "maybe" 2 months before they go to hell & the socks start falling apart:thumbdow:, My last pair i decided what the heck, so i headed to shoe carnival, They always have sales or clearancing something out for a newer style, So about 11-12 months ago I bought a set of 79.00 Avia's, They were on clearance for 34.99, With my local i paid right around 30.00, I bought a 6 pack of socks for 8.00 on sale, The lady "assued" me they "do not" sell junk, My socks & shoes are still in outstanding condition after all this time & i work them hard every day, & to boot, when i put them on in the beggining, My cramping in my right leg went away, Thats the difference, you get what you pay for, & i'm pretty sure these sneakers & socks were made over seas, I say this every time, Its "quality control", China does make good stuff, but you will pay for it, if the manufacture wants a great product (even from china), he will pay more, you have 2 also, Automotive stuff is no different, There are many chinese engine parts that are good, but they won't give it away. There are many name brand engine parts built over seas, china being the biggest, but the metals are better, plus once they come over here, they get checked over & detailed out, thats quality control, & when an american company has there name on a product, they sure as heck want to back it up.

If people want to talk "don't buy foreign", only USA, well just thank "big business" Americans for screwing that up for us, Are own people are selling us out, Do we really think that the chinese are holding guns to are heads forceing us to buy from them or for them 2 make the product, hell no. IMO, we are somewhat 2 blame also as a consumer, we like cheap-er prices, so we get them, Americans want good pay, well, whos going to pay for that, over there they get payed alot less, so we save, but do you think your still going to get a great product for cheap, ya right.

I can't understand why people run from something because it cost less,
For starters, anybody pay's more for there stuff than a Chevy guy.
If your paying prices as cheap as a Chevy, then you think you have a win win thing going on. Until crap breaks. Or it needs ridiculous amounts of work to run right.

All to often, we read or see or hear first hand when these things happen. When a part goes bad, time and time again, we get gun shy about it. MoPar themselfs have been creamed by a bad rap with there Stage VI heads from early bad castings. IMO, they never recovered from it.

Enter a qualitypart maker (Edelbrock) that now makes a B/RB head. There rep is a solid one. They sell'em like mad, people port them, run fast, the product holds up, mags write'em up, more peple buy'em. Price is set accordingly.

Then someone tries the new cheap head out. They bomb, back to the big name guy.......

We stay gun shy.

The aftermarket has F$%^* us and themselfs for making crap parts.

One of my golfing buddies maintains a 7-figure income as a go-between for US companies that want to cut costs and Chinese and other Asian country manufacturers. China has no EPA, they are still a Communist governent and have no protection for workers, no unions, no OSHA. Similar to other "Pacific rim" economies. He assured me he could get ISO rated components for a project at work here for literally 5% of the cost of UL rated, domestically produced electronics. There are reasons the stuff is cheap. And why the first SIR rods were metallurgically inferior, and why poisons and carcinogens are in toys made there. Nevermind the unpublished figures for workplace deaths and lack of compensation for workers. The US economy is now based on the mistaken impression that everyone is entitled to everything as long as it's cheap. I refuse to shop at Walmart because they treat people worse than my company (which is really saying something), because they destroy local economies where the money stays local after it's spent, and because of what they encourage by their supplier-business practices (offshoring). It's my choice. just like it's my buddy's to take advantage of the system that grew up needing people like him. I keep my local family grocer sponsoring the little league teams, and the hardware store carries all the stuff like the toilet seat and furnace filters that I use. If we want the American dream to be attainable again, we have to realize we killed it and take the steps to turn things around. Vote, buy with your conscience, contact elected officials, use your voice and your spending to send clear messages.

-
Back