Ol' Blue's magnum swap

-
I finally got a chance to pull a clean run against my buddy in his 2012 Shelby GT500 last Saturday after work. He's got long tube headers, and Flowmaster cat backs, I'm figuring somewhere around 575 at the crank. I still have the open 7 1/4 rear end and skinny little 14 inch tires so we ran from 45 up to make it a little more fair. I still left a hundred foot black mark, but we were neck-and-neck until 120. I'm still not quite sure what horsepower that suggests I'm at but that Dart is about 600 pounds lighter and the GT500 was just barely pulling on me. At least my buddy can't talk crap about my car anymore LOL... Not quite as slow as he thought

It’s fun to pick on cars where there car payment is equal to the cost of our engine/mods. Sounds like it’s a runner!

I finally got a chance to pull a clean run against my buddy in his 2012 Shelby GT500 last Saturday after work. He's got long tube headers, and Flowmaster cat backs, I'm figuring somewhere around 575 at the crank. I still have the open 7 1/4 rear end and skinny little 14 inch tires so we ran from 45 up to make it a little more fair. I still left a hundred foot black mark, but we were neck-and-neck until 120. I'm still not quite sure what horsepower that suggests I'm at but that Dart is about 600 pounds lighter and the GT500 was just barely pulling on me. At least my buddy can't talk crap about my car anymore LOL... Not quite as slow as he thought
What are those headers you are running? May try those on my magnum conversion in my 65 dart...

Sanderson DD-9

Summit sells for auto trans. Manual steering but OP made work on PS set up
Ive been thinking on buying with possibly modding driverside to fit with Zbar Man trans.

Dave

What are those headers you are running? May try those on my magnum conversion in my 65 dart...
Sanderson DD9, But I'm warning you, convert to manual steering or you're going to have to bash the crap out of them! And then they still don't sit down all the way, I had to shim up my motor mounts which changed my pinion angle relationship heading to vibration that I'm still trying to get rid of. Either spring for the TTI headers, or convert to manual steering

Sanderson DD9, But I'm warning you, convert to manual steering or you're going to have to bash the crap out of them! And then they still don't sit down all the way, I had to shim up my motor mounts which changed my pinion angle relationship heading to vibration that I'm still trying to get rid of. Either spring for the TTI headers, or convert to manual steering

Thank you for the information not looking forward to that part of it. I will figure something else out..

Thank you for the information not looking forward to that part of it. I will figure something else out..
I've been seriously thinking about getting the alter-k-tion K member, then I could use the one and three-quarter inch long tube headers made for it. I really need more exhaust flow. I'm running stock heads, but I ported the holy crap out of them and the dd9 are 1 and 1/2 in tubes. If I go that route, I'm going to be sending these headers back to Sanderson in the hopes that they will use the New Dimensions in some product development, maybe make one that will fit with power steering.

I've been seriously thinking about getting the alter-k-tion K member, then I could use the one and three-quarter inch long tube headers made for it. I really need more exhaust flow. I'm running stock heads, but I ported the holy crap out of them and the dd9 are 1 and 1/2 in tubes. If I go that route, I'm going to be sending these headers back to Sanderson in the hopes that they will use the New Dimensions in some product development, maybe make one that will fit with power steering.
If you go with the new K member keep us posted with pics too... I am keeping my slant 6 in for one more summer then will do the swap next winter. I rebuild the 360 magnum this winter and go an 8 3/4 rear ready to go in.
I have a 904 that I am going to rebuild this summer as well.

Im gonna be doing the same thing in my 63 come spring and this helped alot. Couple of questions, where did buy the headers from and are you using a V8 center link. Also which intake manifold it that.
Hello I am also doing a magnum swap in my 65 Dart what did you use for the accelerator and downshift linkage. I know I have to get this somewhere, but can you tell me what I need to get? cable accelerator ?

Thank you

Hello I am also doing a magnum swap in my 65 Dart what did you use for the accelerator and downshift linkage. I know I have to get this somewhere, but can you tell me what I need to get? cable accelerator ?

Thank you
I got lokar kickdown, and a universal firewall mounted cable accelerator pedal. I mounted the pedal high, and use the stock pedal to push it. I post pics for you in a bit.

Great thank you looking forward to the pics
0407191103.jpg

0407191103b.jpg

0407191104.jpg

0407191104a.jpg

0407191104b.jpg

At the start of this project I was warned that the 7 1/4 was not very strong. I went ahead and used it anyway, because I was pressed for time and resources. Just decided I would baby it as often as possible. Yesterday that was not possible, or perhaps it was.. but.. oops lol.

I'm currently looking for a new rear end, spider gears are dead. I'll pass on and reiterate what I was told now that I've seen it firsthand. Scrap that 7.25 and get you a real rear end

At the start of this project I was warned that the 7 1/4 was not very strong. I went ahead and used it anyway, because I was pressed for time and resources. Just decided I would baby it as often as possible. Yesterday that was not possible, or perhaps it was.. but.. oops lol.

I'm currently looking for a new rear end, spider gears are dead. I'll pass on and reiterate what I was told now that I've seen it firsthand. Scrap that 7.25 and get you a real rear end
Agree, broke a 7-1/4 three times behind a /6.

A lot has gone on since my last post. Got a few little updates. After I blew up my rear end another member here sold me a complete 8 and 3/4 out of a 67. it's got a slight whine to it and needs rebuilt but I've been running it as is for now.

I was still dealing with some rhythmic vibration for a little while too, come to find out the drive shaft I ordered wasn't balanced correctly. Had another shop in Houston balance it correctly whenever I had it modified yet again for the 8 3/4 yoke.

Still had a little bit more vibration left, that went away just about two months ago when I put all four new tires on it period turns out the new tires I had on before had set on the shelf for like six years and had flat spots that never actually went away.

When I first put this motor together I was running a 750 vacuum secondary Holley, I bought it used and had it rebuilt. Never did act completely right, and oozed gas from various places. Just this weekend I replaced it with a 750 Street demon, and got a new accelerator cable set up, and made my own throttle brackets. The throttle is a little jumpy right now but I expect it will smooth out as the cable ends wear down a little bit.

And I also got an update about my header versus power steering problem. I had been saving up for the borgeson power steering gearbox because it is a lot smaller, but then I come to find out that O'Reilly's sells remanufactured steering gear boxes that are almost the same size as the borgeson and for fraction of the price.if I had converted my original box to one of those, I would not have had to bash in those dd-9 headers. Oops.

IMG_20201126_114011279.jpg

IMG_20201126_114025304.jpg

IMG_20201127_124802534.jpg

IMG_20201128_101359620.jpg

IMG_20201128_101406264.jpg

IMG_20201128_154608003.jpg

IMG_20201128_162604673.jpg

Details on the steering box?
Is it this one? That's a great deal if it's smaller than stock. Especially for new hemi swaps.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/.../4508750/1967/dodge/dart?q=steering+box&pos=0

A lot has gone on since my last post. Got a few little updates. After I blew up my rear end another member here sold me a complete 8 and 3/4 out of a 67. it's got a slight whine to it and needs rebuilt but I've been running it as is for now.

I was still dealing with some rhythmic vibration for a little while too, come to find out the drive shaft I ordered wasn't balanced correctly. Had another shop in Houston balance it correctly whenever I had it modified yet again for the 8 3/4 yoke.

Still had a little bit more vibration left, that went away just about two months ago when I put all four new tires on it period turns out the new tires I had on before had set on the shelf for like six years and had flat spots that never actually went away.

When I first put this motor together I was running a 750 vacuum secondary Holley, I bought it used and had it rebuilt. Never did act completely right, and oozed gas from various places. Just this weekend I replaced it with a 750 Street demon, and got a new accelerator cable set up, and made my own throttle brackets. The throttle is a little jumpy right now but I expect it will smooth out as the cable ends wear down a little bit.

And I also got an update about my header versus power steering problem. I had been saving up for the borgeson power steering gearbox because it is a lot smaller, but then I come to find out that O'Reilly's sells remanufactured steering gear boxes that are almost the same size as the borgeson and for fraction of the price.if I had converted my original box to one of those, I would not have had to bash in those dd-9 headers. Oops.

View attachment 1715639168

View attachment 1715639169

View attachment 1715639170

View attachment 1715639171

View attachment 1715639172

View attachment 1715639173

View attachment 1715639174

Yes sir, that's the one. It is quite a bit smaller than stock, but not quite as small as the borgeson. Still, it's going to give a lot more room for those headers, especially where I had to bash it in the most.

Cool. If you've got it on hand, post up some dims on it. I'm planning a new Hemi swap and was planning to use the Borg box, but this is intriguing.

Cool. If you've got it on hand, post up some dims on it. I'm planning a new Hemi swap and was planning to use the Borg box, but this is intriguing.
It's on my list, but it's going to be just a little bit before I can get it. Had to save up a while just for the carburetor swap. Besides, anything that's going to take more than a couple of days of downtime I'm saving for when the snow starts flying.

Would you mind sharing your thoughts on the HEI distributor, now that you have it running?
Thanks

Edit to add: are you running it as it came out of the box? If not, what have you changed? And have you had any problems with it?

Last edited:
Would you mind sharing your thoughts on the HEI distributor, now that you have it running?
Thanks

Edit to add: are you running it as it came out of the box? If not, what have you changed? And have you had any problems with it?
It is being run out the box, haven't had any issues at all with it.

Decided I was tired of the tight fitting passenger side pipe buzzing and rubbing against stuff, so I made a merge collector into 3-inch. and of course, I just had to see what it sounded like open before I put the muffler on it.

-
Back