Ol RustyCranks 74 Dart

-
And here's my new 340 crank from standard crankshaft.

Attachments

• 20140902_155251.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 151
Did you trade the rusty one in for the other one?

No I still have the rusty one. It should clean up well with a little turning. Just so long as there are no high spots. The black that's on the journals I believe is old grease that was put on it before storage but it comes right off with a wire wheel. When I took it apart all the bearings were stamped 71. The pistons were a little wore on the skirt but they were standard also. Ill post some pics of the rods, block, and heads tomorrow.

Before electrolosis

Attachments

• 20140902_143827.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 139
  • 20140902_143816.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 128
After electrolysis and sprayed with a pressure washer

Attachments

• 20140903_160715.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 136
  • 20140903_160704.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 128
  • 20140903_160652.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 131
Post a picture of your electrolysis set up, I have used a 5 gal bucket and a battery charger in the past it just seemed to take forever.

Ok I will. Its a 50gal plastic degreaser barrel. It has 8 electrodes made from metal fence post. I drilled 1/4in holes near one end and made a hanger out of a........ wait for it..........
a metal coat hanger. Then I tied them together through the hole with a straightened coat hanger. It was tight but I fit my 340 block in it and it worked well.

What did you use to power it?

I use a roll around battery charger that goes up to 200 cranking amps. It has different settings from 10, 40, and start assist which is the 200amp setting. Ive tried it on 40 and it didn't do any better than at 10. I only use 10amp now. Yes, you are correct, it does seem to take forever but I normally start in the AM and leave it over night outside in the covered washbay at work. Like the oil pan I put it in Tuesday at about 3pm and took it out today at 330. I used the garden hose to remove the paint and primer and it peeled of in a big PLOP. Then the pressure washer removed the rest. The black that's in the bottom was over the entire inside but it all came off except in the corners. I hope this helps some but I will take some pics of it in the AM. Thanks for all the interest.
By the way, you can see my barrel behind my OlRustyCrank on the first page. Ill get some better one tho

This is my setup for electrolysis. This is the barrel and nonpainted fence post and battery charger

Attachments

• 20140904_100111.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 109
  • 20140904_100054.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 103
Here's my fence post and coat hanger wire connecting them all sorry they're all crooked.

Attachments

• 20140904_100033.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 117
  • 20140904_100021.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 108
  • 20140904_095957.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 117
No its positive to the the annode and negative to the part. Always remember that positive attracts negative.

What are you using for soap?
I used Armor Hammer in my mixture, it was hard to find, I had to order it from Amazon.
Gave my last 1/2 box to a guy at work so he could clean the crank in an old Lotus he was restoring.

I used Arm and Hammer super washing soda. Got it at the dollar general

Dollar general, never thought to look there.

If any body reading this is going to try it, the process works.
You have to do it OUTSIDE the fumes are toxic.
But the leftover water is non toxic and is actually a excellent lawn fertilizer.

The FUMES are NOT TOXIC!!!!!!!!!!
I REPEAT NOT TOXIC!!!!!!!!!!

They are FLAMMABLE because its hydrogen gas. Think of the Hindinburg Blimp. Its just like charging a car battery, No open flames or smoking, and do it outside and don't put the lid on.

I cleaned up a few tool boxes awhile back using this method. I used straight arm & hammer baking soda that you can get at any grocery store. I used about 5# in a 30 gal. trash can.
C

I took my Dart out for a spin since I siphoned out the fuel tank. I put about 20 miles on it and put about 7gal of pump gas in it. It ran very well and never missed a bit. Now Ive got to find out why my fuel gauge isn't working, but Ill still drive it though!!!!:cheers: Ive got a few gremlins to work out like why my radio, tach, and fuel gauge don't work but I love just rolling down the window, hanging my elbow on the door lock and eating pavement!!!!:burnout:

Looks like it is 50 times better than the start point on my 74.. I hear you, went to a car show today and enjoyed the ride with the windows down!

Thanks Dartn440, I read your build and yours turned out great!!!!!

-
Back