Old Adhesive Removal

-

gerahead

Glutton for Punishment
Reaction score
I have started to renew the interior of my gutted 71 Dart. There is considerable old spray adhesive "strings" where the speaker deck cover was and behind the door panels. What is a good way to remove this crap so that I can scuff up the factory paint underneath a lay a good new foundation over it? I am hoping that there is some kind of a solvent that will work well to remove this stuff. Thanks.

Jim

Naptha (dry cleaning solution) and lacquer thinner are my solvents of choice. These are nasty, so I also suggest nitrile gloves to protect your skin and recommend a painter's mask to avoid inhaling the fumes. Good ventilation and no open flames are a must.

I used to work in an accessory shop and needed to remove adhesive quite regularly. 3m makes 2 products excellent for this. one is a rubber wheel that attaches to a drill, it rubs off the adhesive without damaging paint. After you get the majority of it off with that you can go over it with 3m general purpose adhesive remover to get the rest.

I have used what D-rock suggested and it works great!

I used to work in an accessory shop and needed to remove adhesive quite regularly. 3m makes 2 products excellent for this. one is a rubber wheel that attaches to a drill, it rubs off the adhesive without damaging paint. After you get the majority of it off with that you can go over it with 3m general purpose adhesive remover to get the rest.

+1 excellent advice, the lacquer thinner and other products can mess with paint and plastic. If using that wheel on plastic though be careful not to burn the plastic with it

D-rock,
I sthe wheel that you describe the same thing as the decal remover that they market? Thanks for the tip.

-
Back