old alternator

-

Tadams

Tadams
Reaction score
How can I clean the old alternator to make it look better? I took it off the car and the exterior looks old and dirty. Is there a way to clean and restore it? I don't need it to look new, just better. It works fine so I don't need a new one.
thanks

I guess it depends on how clean you want it. Best way is probably to strip it down to the bare frames and dip in carb cleaner, but that's a LOT of work. IF you are careful, you could use a combo of acid brushes, rags, and spray carb clean. Be careful, though, not to "hose it down" as you'll probably remove the insulation off the wiring!!

Thanks, I'll try that. It just looks pretty bad as is.

How old is the alternator?

I had a 1964 Dodge Polara with a big block. The alternator was very simple to dissasemble and reassemble.

If you have the tools to remove the pulley from the shaft, you should be able to remove the outer housings from the inner workings. This would allow you to clean up the housing separately from the windings.

I think a period correct service manual has a tear down procedure for the early alternators.

Incidentally, one year my alternator quit working. My next-door neighbor was a master mechanic and he told me to change the brushes. It cost me 13 cents to replace the brushes! I also replaced half of the housing with one from a junkyard because the bearing was rattling.

Hey, now thats good info. I haven't gotten to the cleanup yet, just getting ideas.

There are normally electric motor/starter repair places around. They will normally charge a very reasonable fee to rebuild it. Even though you aren't really looking to "fix" it, it would be nice to get the case down bare, blast the housing, clean the windings, put in new brushes and bearings, and reassemble. They may let you take time to paint the pulleys and such before reassembling it. Just a thought.

use electrical cleaner on it it wont hurt the windings inside. small wire brushes work also

-
Back