Old car crashes & deaths vs new car crashes & deaths

-
Im suprises there are not retrofit air bag steering wheels sold for classics. Sure they would look stupid but ine accident would make you a believer. I think the collapsible steering column is a no brainer , can retrofit one with no visible changes.
LIABILITY LIABILITY LIABILITY LIABILITY LIABILITY..........1000% GUARANTEE IT WILL NEVER EVER EVER EVER HAPPEN

It's a simple thing to do really. Be a good drive and know your vehicle's limit. That will keep you out of well over 90% of accidents.
I agree. Poor driving is by far the biggest culprit. Including excessive speeds. That's one thing I have noticed. Back in my day we did do street drags. But not in the middle of town and in traffic? Those that did found trouble fast. Today. These little tuners zip in and out traffic thinking they know what they're doing? Thus are keeping crash statistics up. They now have muscle performance in smaller more nimble packages. And doesn't take a psychology major to predict problems.

I agree. Poor driving is by far the biggest culprit. Including excessive speeds. That's one thing I have noticed. Back in my day we did do street drags. But not in the middle of town and in traffic? Those that did found trouble fast. Today. These little tuners zip in and out traffic thinking they know what they're doing? Thus are keeping crash statistics up. They now have muscle performance in smaller more nimble packages. And doesn't take a psychology major to predict problems.
Well, back when we were younguns, there were a LOT more undeveloped areas, less people and less traffic. Not to mention there wasn't a lawyer around every corner. Times have changed.

And sure no policemen around either
Hell, we used to have a county sheriff deputy block off part is INTERSTATE 16 E coming towards Macon on the weekends real late at night se we could throw down. Of course, he had interest in the outcomes. LOL Man, those were the days.

I will just say people today are a**holes with no respect or regard for consequences. I think we all knew a few people back in the day that got hurt or killed and I can say the ones I knew that were self inflicted were the same way until it was too late. I will say it seems there are nothing but zombies on the road now days and with safer, better handling cars it only emboldens the stupidity. I drive every day for a living and have all but lost any hope or tolerance for our species lol, now get off my lawn!.

Todays cars are engineered with various types of metals; some which crush at different rates. Retrofitting these into an older chassis, which are made of mostly one type of alloy, would take some engineering.

The worst wreck I ever saw in my life was when I was about 11 or 12 years old. Maybe 1978-79.
A lady ran a stop sign and was T-boned in a blue Pinto. There were two women and about 5 kids in the car.
We were coming from the opposite direction. My mother was a nurse, but not a ER or trauma nurse. She was out there trying to help. She yelled for me to bring her mine and my brothers shirts. She was trying to stop bleeding, and it was no use.
I remember my mom just bawling and my not really knowing what was going on.
I learned later that everyone, including the kids were killed in that wreck. This was before baby seats or seat belts being law.
I've seen people walk away from a lot worse than that wreck. I had a truck at the shop once that was hit head on, square. It was such a hit that the tailgate was bent. There wasn't a straight piece of sheet metal on that truck. The driver walked away with a small burn from the airbags.
I love my old cars, but I sure as hell don't want to be in a accident with one. I'd get hurt and I know it.
You can't put enough airbags on a car as far as I'm concerned.

HUH????? Do you read what you write before you hit send????? The new cars break apart???? Hmmmmm that's odd....only you and I can guarantee only you forever would ever say such a thing, and the old cars were more rigid??? The old cars had no crush zones built into them like the modern cars do and that is why the old cars wad up like a smashed soda can. You may not want to continue replying and just read and try to learn something.

You like some you, don't ya'..........

I drove a semi for 1.3 million miles. I saw more than I ever could’ve imagined.
I’m my opinion, the highway is the second most dangerous place you can be. The first being a battlefield.
“All Good Kids Like Milk”.
All Good Kids Like Milk
Old car or new; be safe.

Last edited:
Here we go with this again?

IMO the big difference is-

If the human could survive the impact (and I've survived several fairly big time impacts), an older car wasn't necessarily totaled.

I've literally driven away from crashes in a 60's cat that totaled an 80's or 90's car.

Here we go with this again?

IMO the big difference is-

If the human could survive the impact (and I've survived several fairly big time impacts), an older car wasn't necessarily totaled.

I've literally driven away from crashes in a 60's cat that totaled an 80's or 90's car.
What's your point?

What's your point?

Can't I comment?

Hell, we used to have a county sheriff deputy block off part is INTERSTATE 16 E coming towards Macon on the weekends real late at night se we could throw down. Of course, he had interest in the outcomes. LOL Man, those were the days.
Back in the 60s in our small town witch was Winfield not Kelowna where I was then we had what everyone called a rent-a-cop and one real policeman who patroled about a seventy mile stretch and he was a really nice lol. The chance of getting caught doing anything was pretty slim. I guess I started up in the 70s but it was still hardly any cops then too. The only time I ran into a cop back in the day I lost him on an XL-350 Honda. I didn't have a plate on it.

Back in the 60s in our small town witch was Winfield not Kelowna where I was then we had what everyone called a rent-a-cop and one real policeman who patroled about a seventy mile stretch and he was a really nice lol. The chance of getting caught doing anything was pretty slim. I guess I started up in the 70s but it was still hardly any cops then too. The only time I ran into a cop back in the day I lost him on an XL-350 Honda. I didn't have a plate on it.
I ALMOST bought a Honda CB350F when I was a kid. That thing would get it.

I ALMOST bought a Honda CB350F when I was a kid. That thing would get it.
I have a good friend who found a 1970 CL-175 that's mint so he bought it. Runs like a top. He also has a 1970 Chevy C-10 pickup that's all lowered with a 383 stroker. He now he just bought a 55 Chev to restore and he doesn't know or not if he should sell the truck or not but he thinks that maybe what will give someone the extra incentive to buy it will be to sell the two together because the bike and the truck are the same year. :)

Just to add. Bikes are a lot of fun. I had so much fun on that old Honda especialy in summer at night, the smells in the air of all the greenery one minute you're warm next minute you're freezing your nuts off as you're riding by an orchard with the sprinklers going. I'd love to get another one but it's always in the back of my mind this is how the old farts get killed off lolol.

Last edited:
Hi everybody:

This thought just came in from the blue a second ago. Sure there were a lot of crashes back in the day with these old cars but when I think of it I can't think of one death from the people I knew back then. I'm sure folks in here are different though. One of my Nieces just lost a friend in a car accident a few months back. Maybe these kids now think there's now way they'll be hurt in these new things with all this safety equipment. I know one thing. There's a heck of a lot more drugs out there now to make you do goofball things.
Well I know this, my auto shop teacher told us of a story about his daughter. she got t-boned by a guy doing 80-90mph. right in the passenger door. not even a bruise. the car was literally in half but she was fine. car=ruined. life=saved.
Now fast forward to last week and I rear ended someone in my 92 sonoma going like 5 mph. I hit a brand new camry. mine needs a new front end and the frame ripped where the bumper bracket smashed into it. and the whole front is just ruined. Her car, popped the bumper clips and dented the trunk. thats it.
So you tell me which is safer.

There is always a trade off in engineering. You don’t see airbags in race dedicated cars and they aren’t real easy to drive to the store.

Well I know this, my auto shop teacher told us of a story about his daughter. she got t-boned by a guy doing 80-90mph. right in the passenger door. not even a bruise. the car was literally in half but she was fine. car=ruined. life=saved.
Now fast forward to last week and I rear ended someone in my 92 sonoma going like 5 mph. I hit a brand new camry. mine needs a new front end and the frame ripped where the bumper bracket smashed into it. and the whole front is just ruined. Her car, popped the bumper clips and dented the trunk. thats it.
So you tell me which is safer.
Your story is 1000% unbelievable so no point in trying to tell you anything except maybe you should put the bottle or pipe down......

Your story is 1000% unbelievable so no point in trying to tell you anything except maybe you should put the bottle or pipe down......
its not my story.
and with the technology these days I had no reason to not believe him.

The cars are quicker and faster. Just look at the horsepower ratings. They are all NET horsepower now, back during the height of the muscle wars, horsepower was measured gross. It's nothing now to be able to get a 600hp car and that's NET. The gross rating would be close to 1000.

It's not just the newer high performance cars that have impressive acceleration numbers compared to 1950s and 1960s cars. We have a 2020 Elantra ECO (1.4L turbo, NOT a hybrid).

2020 Elantra ECO 0-60 8.9 sec.
1966 Barracuda 273 four barrel 0-60 8.3
1955 C-300 (most powerful US production car at the time) 0-60 9.9 sec.

The Elantra is comfortable, handles reasonable well considering it is a generic sedan, decent sized and generally get 45 mpg on the highway. AND, we got a SMOKIN' deal on it (about 25% off sticker - one at this price kind of thing).

-
Back