Old cop cars!

-
I had a 75 Plymouth Gran Fury that was an Illinois State police cruiser with a 440. It was a blast to mash the pedal at 100mph and the trans would downshift and plant you in the seat. I'm headed out to an estate auction today that has a 59 Dodge Coronet ex Missouri Highway Patrol car. I may have a new project tonight. I'll try to get pics.

I had a 75 Plymouth Gran Fury that was an Illinois State police cruiser with a 440. It was a blast to mash the pedal at 100mph and the trans would downshift and plant you in the seat. I'm headed out to an estate auction today that has a 59 Dodge Coronet ex Missouri Highway Patrol car. I may have a new project tonight. I'll try to get pics.

Those cars were built like tanks, I rather be in one of those cars any day in any type of crash.

Too bad they had to stop making them and we now got oversize suv's that tip over too easily....plus suv have too much air drag @ 100

I had a 77 GF, drove once after 10 inch of snow felled, went down an unplowed road, made in a 1/8 mile and too much snow was pushed up in front....I back up and ram the snow wall @ 25 mph, got me another 1/8 of a mile down the road, repeated a few times and made it past. The whole grill was stamp steel, no plastic junk...nothing broke, tough darn car.

My dad's brother is a retired Los Angeles County Sheriff's Deputy
( 1958 - 1984 ) . Out of all of the marked-unit fleets over the years , his faves were :

- 1963 Dodge sedan with the 426 Max Wedge ( special order consisting of 2 or so ) which was used for highway patrols ( including the Long Beach Freeway ).
Back in those days , local through-city freeways were patrolled by L.A.P.D. (downtown ) and L.A.S.O. ( county areas ).

- 1972 Coronet . First year that the Sheriff's dept got air conditioning in their cars (same goes for CHP : last year for the white steering wheel rims ; first year for a/c ) .

It's great that the CHP and Riverside County Sheriff's deputies leave me alone for the most part (especially the older guys) , as my daily driver is a primer gray 1972 Coronet .
Most of them think it's a retired unit ; then , I point out that it's not
( no Certified Calibration speedo , has high-grade interior , regular steering wheel , etc ... )
Ultimately , it will be transformed into an A38 replica , unmarked .

Out of all of the police cars made , I'd like to have :

- 1964 Oldsmobile "B09" 330 Rocket ( 4 door 4-4-2 ! )
- 1969 Satellite 330 HP 383 ( 4 door Road Runner )
- 1971 Satellite 300 HP 383 ( 4 door Road Runner )
- 1972 Matador 401
- 1974 Monaco 440
- 1975 9C1 Nova
- 1976 Valiant A38 220 HP 360
- 1977 or 1978 Monaco or Fury
- 1980 9C1 Malibu 350
- 1982 SPP Mustang
- 1984 LTD SPP 302
- 1993 through 1996 9C1 Caprice
- 2007 - present Charger A38

Prior to the manifestation of that jack *** Jerry Brown ( 1st term , 1976 ) , the CHP was able to specify camshaft grinds !
And if it wasn't for that *** Brown , the 220 HP 360 would've been available in Ca , esp for use in the 1976 Valiant ! But , instead , he made sure that police cars had to meet the same emissions standards as civilian vehicles :angry3: .

here in n.s. canada my friend who is a retired mountie (RCMP) was saying that of all the cars he drove (from early 70's) the best was the late 70's volare with the E58 360 4bbl equipped cars

a few years ago i saw a mid 70's all original Gran Fury ex RCMP car on ebay from out west - really cool with the original purple paint with white doors and even the RCMP symbol still on the doors - wish i bought it

Love to have one of the old Fl State Trooper cars. Back in the day they were all 426 hemi cars.

I'm thinking my next project just might be an old police car. I was lucky enough to get to drive some of the big-block Mopar cop cars before they got phsed out. After that the only one that seemed worth anything were the 360 Aspen/Volares. We've used Chevys & Fords since then & say what you want, but after working/driving cop cars for 30+ years, NO ONE builds a cop car like Mopar.Wellllllllll, except maybe their K-car fiasco:pukel:--you can kep them.....

Love to have one of the old Fl State Trooper cars. Back in the day they were all 426 hemi cars.

We got to learn the headlights and parking lights on the early '70s C-bodies that the Suffolk County, NY cops used back in the day. It gave us enough time to ditch the brewskis when we were hanging out down by the LI Sound.

When I was in college in Daytona Beach in the early '70s, I gassed up my '68 GTX once while a Florida state trooper was gassing up his C-body. It actually had "power bulges" on the hood. I asked the trooper, "440?" He answered "Yup."

406186_409583402411226_254037449_n.jpg

As you might guess, I'm into old cop cars. When I was a kid, my dad had a 68 Fury 383 Commando and a 71 Fury 440 Super Commando, both ex cop cars. Then I've had a few. 80 Volare, 82 Diplomat, 83 Diplomat, and my current pair of Valiants.

This state cop told us his 78 Grand Fury wasn't the quickest car by far but it could do an honest 140 - 145. There was 6 of us in the car and he punched it after a turn, pushed us back pretty good.

Those cars may had came emission equip but some cop garages took the cats off and did other hot rod stuff to the engines. Today cop cars go back to the dealer for work but back then some stations had their own garage and mechanics

Well, sold my '98 Crown Vic p71 to my nephew. Still have the Gran Fury, but I did buy a freshly-retired '93 Dodge Ramcharger from the Emery County Sheriff's Department. 360 Magnum, LE interior (grey), black exterior, and a spotlight on the LH side (with the rear-facing red light that can be off, solid, or flashing). Neat rig, and I'm willing to be it was one of the last ones in police service

Those old Gran Fury's trunks could old a motorcycle. That cop was telling us that as him and his partner were loading my moped in the truck since we were being detain...not arrested but hold till folks pick us up...was Halloween and me and my friend got in to the Halloween spirit too much, lol

It might have been a 77 Gran Fury now that I thought about it more. I do clearly recall the officer being proud when my friend asked him what engine was in the car "440 with police pack" good to 140 - 145, you should see the look hot rodder faces as we come up on them at 140...his partner laughed at the same time with him.

He was talking freeway chases..he said most fast cars are only good for 120 - 130...they can out run us at first but then we take over....those cops didn't wear their safety belts either, then again we didn't go over 65 mph

Michigan state police changed the color of the paint when the 440's were gone. It was a dark blue or navy color, then the 1979 cars and newer are bright blue -to this day. My buddy said it was just to make the cars seem faster then they really were, that the cars stick out and can be seen father away since they aren't as fast.

That yellow slash they still use today on the front doors looks like a bolt of lightning when the car is going high speed with the red light spinning-flashing away..even in bright sunshine

Here cars have change so much yet the MSP paint jobs are still the same since 1979

Attachments

• mspBanner1_365525_7.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 261
Im wondering if I can get Hemidenny and Old Man Mopar to post some pics of Weebs cop car. I'm on it........

Love the pic of those convertible bugs. I can hear the salesman now. You car you ordered has arrived and you received a free convertible option.

My old 1986 Gran Fury :glasses7:

Attachments

• scan0010.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 242
Had a 87 Caprice.All the illegals would run,when I drove by.I will be goddam'nd. Accleration not the high point.80 to 130,bananaland.simple flat tappet 350,swirl port heads.Car braked,handled best of anything similar.

used to do paintwork on a 65 polara chp car was slick 413 323 sg that thing hauled *** would chirp 2nd ifyou manually shiftedit.....

In 1993 money was tight, we were getting married, I sold my factory original paint 67 sport fury fasttop 383 4 speed buckets / console, turbine bronze in and out, I loved that car, and bought an 80 volare ex RCMP unmarked highway patrol car for $300. It was light metallic blue, buckets, still had the holes from the radio and shotgun mount, 318, 727, highway geared sure grip etc. It was an awesome car, we drove it for several years and it never let us down. I removed the cat converter and added a 4 barrel. Traded it for a wrecked 69 Dart GT 383 .... and the list of bought and sold cars goes on.

Bought an '88 Gran Fury off of San Juan County in September for a whopping $330. Originally was just going to yank the motor and parts, but then "The 24 Hours of LeMons" became a possibility. So...for now here is a pic of the '88 Gran Fury AHB that the Bellevue (WA) PD is restoring @ Lake Washington Technical College and the parts car I will get to pick through when they are done. I am helping them find info, trim, et cetera for their car- enjoy!

Attachments

• SSCN1873[1].JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 218
  • SSCN1872[1].JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 221
  • SSCN1871[1].JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 199
  • SSCN1870[1].JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 212
  • SSCN1869[2].JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 198
I love em,...Had a friend/coworker in California years ago who got a 4 speed Nova from LAPD,...I think it was a late 70's car,....It was a blast,...

Later on, I worked for a professional EMS service in Hartford, Ct,...One of the mechanics had a 4 door Ford Fairmont with a 4 speed as well,...was a trooper car,...I didn't even know these existed,....

-
Back