old gas/turpentine

-

terry

Reaction score
hi folks
any suggestions on how to dilute some old gas in a gas tank i took out of a 70 duster i just bought. there must be 6-7 gallons of gas that has turned into turpentine.i would like to dispose of it but as bad as it smells and it still will ignite so the old idea of digging a hole and poring it out won't work.so i'm looking for something to add to the gas that may eliminate the smell and not to ignite.
terry

Pour a bottle of your wifes best perfume, then hide:snakeman: seriously, comeing from the enviroment zealot capitol of the world, surely they have a proper desposel place somewhere, right? If not, and you don`t want it soaking in the ground, pour a long thin line, light it off, ofcourse, then hide:snakeman:

most of your quick oil change shops will let you pour it in their recycle tank.

At my county dump they have a separate tank just for oil and gas only.... the oil only is on the other side of the dump. You might have one in your county.

When you get most of it out pour some muratic acid in there to clean it like a champ. I didn't believe until I saw it but it works. Neutralize it with baking soda and water.

The local car crusher here drains the fuel out of the cars before they get crushed. May want to try your nearest crusher... Dean

Have any people that you don't get along with ????

Give them 2 or 3 gallons at 4AM as a 'gift'.

Just put it in a old gas can & leave it in front of your house. The theif that steals it will be very "happy" when he uses it:toothy10:

Be sure to handle it carefully and not spill too much since that rotten gas smell is very hard to get rid of. As said above dispose of it properly. Your city or county offices should have a recommendation for local hazardous waste disposal sites.

Had the same problem a while back and ended up using the old gas in my lawnmower. I put a small anount of new fuel but mainly used the old untill it was gone.

Does it change color when it turns?
I have a fuel injected car that sat for a while, and I had it checked out- they told me the injectors are bad.
The thing is they are fairly new, and when I took the fuel filter off yesterday the line going to the front of the car had clean gas in it, the line going back to the tank was brown colored gas.
It was stalling at red lights but since I changed the filter it isn't anymore, but it is still running rough. I tried some fuel system/injector cleaner and it seemed to help a little.

So I am thinking I need to drain the tank, the problem is I cannot get it out easily, you have to take the exhaust off, the rear axle out, etc.

I was thinking I could disconnect the filter and power the pump up to get the brown gas out, but it has had a few tank fulls run through it already so just emptying it may not cure it.

Is there anything I can run through the tank to clean it out?

I'd just mix a gallon or so of the old stuff to a fresh tankfull in a daily driver and burn it off that way. If you don't want to mess with it, see if you have a company called Lamb Fuels (or maybe Lamb's Fuel) in your area. I think they recycle stale gas.

Another warning about muratic acid - it supercharges rust like you will not believe!! Don't use it inside and nutralize it QUICKLY. Get the fumes away from anything you don't want to feed to the brown monster! We used it here in our manufacturing plant to clean the concrete floor (when I find out who's idea that was, I've got a pink slip for him). The maint guys set up fans, opened doors and wore gloves/boots. Before they finished for the day everything in the fab department was dark brown!!! there was a thin layer of rust on everything that was not painted - parts, tools, presses etc. That is some evil, wicked, nasty stuff! It is 35% hydrochloric acid. It should clean out the varnish, but I had such a bad experience with rust, I would be afraid to get it anywhere near my car, she already has a rust addiction and the last thing she needs is fall off that wagon!

Does it change color when it turns?
I have a fuel injected car that sat for a while, and I had it checked out- they told me the injectors are bad.
The thing is they are fairly new, and when I took the fuel filter off yesterday the line going to the front of the car had clean gas in it, the line going back to the tank was brown colored gas.
It was stalling at red lights but since I changed the filter it isn't anymore, but it is still running rough. I tried some fuel system/injector cleaner and it seemed to help a little.

I was thinking I could disconnect the filter and power the pump up to get the brown gas out, but it has had a few tank fulls run through it already so just emptying it may not cure it.

Is there anything I can run through the tank to clean it out?
Yes old fuel does turn a darker color. It also smells like laquer thinner.
I would be concerned as it sound like you have some other problem as you state the fuel coming from the tank is ok but in the return line it is dark. You also have run a few tanks thru and the problem is still there. Usually after the second tank the problem will clear up. If you are saying the fuel coming from the tank is odd colored always then I would be concerned of the condition of the tank.

You be the judge.... this is a Chevy truck gas tank. First is before acid clean second is after cleaning with muratic acid.

gas tank i.jpg

gas tanks ii.jpg

Yes old fuel does turn a darker color. It also smells like laquer thinner.
I would be concerned as it sound like you have some other problem as you state the fuel coming from the tank is ok but in the return line it is dark. You also have run a few tanks thru and the problem is still there. Usually after the second tank the problem will clear up. If you are saying the fuel coming from the tank is odd colored always then I would be concerned of the condition of the tank.

I ran the pump with the gas line disconnected and it ran clear gas. I changed the filter again. Now it is running lean right when you pull away and the car stutters a little. It runs fine otherwise.
I read that you can clean the injectors at the fuel rail, but I cannot find a product or company that sells the stuff to the public- its a small tank that you hook to the fuel rail, fill with a cleaner, disconnect the fuel pump, and when the car stops running they are supposed to be clean.

I ran the pump with the gas line disconnected and it ran clear gas. I changed the filter again. Now it is running lean right when you pull away and the car stutters a little. It runs fine otherwise.
I read that you can clean the injectors at the fuel rail, but I cannot find a product or company that sells the stuff to the public- its a small tank that you hook to the fuel rail, fill with a cleaner, disconnect the fuel pump, and when the car stops running they are supposed to be clean.

My car would do the same thing... I turned the idle mixture screws out 3/4 of a turn more and it went away. I didn't want to believe at first so I turned them back in 3/4 of turn and it went lean again. Backed them back out left them alone.

-
Back