Old Geico quote

-

Mattax

Just the facts, ma'am
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Cleaning out old files and found this Geico quote I had forgotten about. It's hilareous now.
Comparing it with the insurance I actually took and guess what?
For a less liability coverage, Gieco was more.
Bankers and shippers coverage at 25/50/10 was $625, Geico for 15/ 30/10 was $768.

Then looking at the regular Keystone insurance I got a year and half later (1996).
With higher Liability coverage 50/100/50, the cost was $764.
For that same higher coverage Gieco quoted $1,181. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
better be careful shopping for car insurance, i lost my drivers license that way once

Cleaning out old files and found this Geico quote I had forgotten about. It's hilareous now.
Comparing it with the insurance I actually took and guess what?
For a less liability coverage, Gieco was more.
Bankers and shippers coverage at 25/50/10 was $625, Geico for 15/ 30/10 was $768.

Then looking at the regular Keystone insurance I got a year and half later (1996).
With higher Liability coverage 50/100/50, the cost was $764.
For that same higher coverage Gieco quoted $1,181. :rolleyes:
Geico was only cheap back when it wasn’t available to the public, just government employees (Government employees insurance company-Geico)

Once they opened up to the general public, they were super expensive since the government subsidies weren’t available anymore. They tried to ride the general perception that they were still cheaper like they were when it was only for governement employees.

I had them as a legacy from my father in the early 1980s and it was cheap. Then when they went public, the rates got crazy. I switched to Nationwide and cut my rates in half.

Just the wife and I both with great credit and no infractions. Geico always prices out higher, their marketing is for the dumb masses that dont shop

Lotta people dont know that GEICO insured the Military for years before going public.
Government Employees insurance Company.
My late Father had it for several years throughout his 32 yr Air Force Career.

USAA for me. We got $850 returned to us last December (out of a total $1,400 annual bill for 2 cars) as their costs were much less than revenues. Must be a “member” to qualify for the returned money though and I believe that only military officers get this benefit. USAA was founded by military officers for military officers.

Geico is the cheapest I could find with 2 kids ages under 25 living with me and driving all cars.....
At least here in Chicago area. And I check annually.

D.

USAA for me. We got $850 returned to us last December (out of a total $1,400 annual bill for 2 cars) as their costs were much less than revenues. Must be a “member” to qualify for the returned money though and I believe that only military officers get this benefit. USAA was founded by military officers for military officers.
That's my understanding as well. I *think* my aunt and uncle might have had it, if so, then non-coms also qualified. It could have been someone else - its been long time...

In NY they are the cheapest ..I check every two years and no one can beat them.. most don't come close. Just checked with Liberty and they were 40% more. How can that be. No tickets, or accidents, excellent credit, ...and old :).

That's my understanding as well. I *think* my aunt and uncle might have had it, if so, then non-coms also qualified. It could have been someone else - its been long time...
Yes, all military members and their immediate families can get USAA, but unless you were and officer or their family, you would be considered an associate member and I don’t think they get the money back at the end of the year. I could be wrong on that though. It would be nice if everyone received the money back!

We've been with Geico almost 30 years. I shop around every year to try and find something cheaper and no one can ever come close. Ever. They paid me 300 dollars shy of high retail for my Ranger TWO DAYS after it was totaled, even though it was nowhere near that amount. No questions asked, they just cut me a check and the adjuster was at my front door two days later. I got no complaints with Geico.

Us non gold members are seeing Geico adds right now. LOL. Happy birthday RRR

I've been a USAA member for forty years. I know they've opened up eligibility recently. The thing that stands out about them is their customer service. Knowledgeable, courteous, they always make sure that they've accomplished your reason for calling, and that you're satisfied before ending the call.

I am a Century member of USAA (39 years with them and counting). The rebate at the end of the year is called a Subscriber Savings Account, and the amount deposited into one's account is based on premiums paid during the year and operating costs of USAA. The rebate (paid back to the member at the end of the calendar year) is just a small portion of the balance in one's SSA. (The entire balance is payable upon death of the member). I became a member back in the 80s when I become an Army Warrant Officer. Back then, it was for senior NCO's and Officers. Currently, I believe it's open to active duty military and their families Both of my children qualify for membership, and in fact, are members.

I've always received great, outstanding personalized service. Their rates are the best to be found according to my children who shopped around (GEICO, Progressive, Etc.) and insured their cars and homes with USAA.

Every time I've tried to get a quote with them it's more than I'm paying already
My problem is that I've got multiple vehicles and the insurance companies charge me 200 to 300 dollars liability on each car.
It adds up.
I imagine that's the same problem many people on here might have.
I know why they do it.
I know why the CAN do it.
But no one has ever been able to give me a reason for it that I think is valid.
Insure the driver for liability and not the vehicle, I say.
I can only drive one car at a time.

My homeowners policy was cancelled last month because I had some insured items stored outside... an old race car chassis, car trailer, a bbq grill, picnic table... stupid.

When I shopped for a new policy a local mutual ins. outfit quoted me a rate just a bit cheaper than my old company... $750.00. Farmers was $1600.00... Geico and Progressive were both over $3k.

Dumb...

-
Back