old guy needs fun modern-ish driver

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Here goes. This old guy... me, 73, thinks he wants a fun V8 American model, (NO foreign stuff), any US brand, that is depreciated out and IF I find a good example, will be a dependable and fun car for the wife and I to use a couple times a week. Fun mean enough power and take corners. She has a country R/E business and we drive the little truck ( Toyoto whatever, wife claim it, cramped up little SOB) for it. We have a 95 3500 Ram Cummins for pulling.
I have a had time getting up off the ground at my age, so I hesitate to consider a C4 or Corvette. Besides peeps out age look stupid driving Vettes. I admit I am not a Vette type guy. BUT... I have had over the years a few Vettes, (I'm NO Vet fan), a 427 69 which I did a complete resto on back bout '94 , couple 73s or so, and an 86 was it. The C4s can be found low mile and under $10,000, sometimes more like $7000 or so. I do not see a good one ever losing value. I want something that depreciated out. Darn sure not wanting any kind of resto project, fine for a few basic mechanical issues if needed.
The SN95 94-04 and something up Mustang comes to mind. They an be found in good shape and unless something exotic, cheap enough. Maybe the next gen. would be something to consider. Foxs are either totally clapped out or really nice and too many $$.
I have no interest in an older modern Challenger. Not sure why. Darn sure want nothing FWD.
Any thought!?

A Dakota R/T 5.9 comes to mind, but if your Toyota pickup is too cramped, the Dak probably will be too unless it's an extended cab. They are fun little trucks, though- and can still be found in decent shape for reasonable money.
OIP.cpFVOvEsNBWbPKVx-bFK3QHaEK?w=312&h=180&c=7&r=0&o=5&pid=1.jpg

Ill just leave you with my thoughts. Mustang is a good choice Fox or SN95. I have an 86 Fox convertible and it is fun, but I wouldn't mind an SN95 coupe for example.
the reason is, Convertibles are heavy not really a platform for go fast etc. If you are only seeking V8 street cruising Mustang convertibles are around fairly affordable also. convertibles are also considerably higher maintenance and it is said a top needs replaced every 5-7 years. definitely something that needs to be garage kept.

Another alternative is the Dodge charger sedans of the 2000s. I see them around and they seem zippy on the highway. I also remember a Dodge station wagon type thing of the same era. i think they called it magnum, and that if i recall correctly was AWD I don't know if they made a RWD version.

Of course there is the Chevy Camaro/Firebird up until 2002. and the Chevy Impala SS or any V8 caprice type RWD, as well as the El Caminos and Monte Carlo SS and the 80s Malibus etc. if you can find them in good shape.

Other Ford V8s. the Crown Vic, Merc marquis, and the Lincoln mark series and Town car.- still made 20 years or so ago not too old yet..but getting there. probably real cheap noone wants em, but good big car riding cars...

lets not forget all the GM big cars , Pontiac, Olds, Buick and Cadillac if you can find 'em.

After that, 2WD Pickups is all I can think of. man V-8s are being phased out it seems...:)

Old Police cars maybe...?

Pontiac G8/GTO or Holden based Chevy SS. Not really depreciated out yet, but vette motors and no one knows whats under the hood. Mustangs are everywhere, they are like roaches here: quick and all look the same

Pontiac G8/GTO or Holden based Chevy SS. Vette motors and no one knows whats under the hood. Mustangs are everywhere, they are like roaches here: quick and all look the same
I know a woman who has a Holden GTO in storage. She bought it new in 06 i believe. I figure its worth 15 grand the way it sits.

2014 police charger
Awd ,hemi
About 15K with 100k on the odometer...do you like blue?

A Dakota R/T 5.9 comes to mind, but if your Toyota pickup is too cramped, the Dak probably will be too unless it's an extended cab. They are fun little trucks, though- and can still be found in decent shape for reasonable money.
View attachment 1715813753
The Toyoto is extended cab, BUT where my feet go, and no they are not that big, is so cramped and the leg room sucks. I am 6 ft average height I figure.

My '15 Renegade 1.4 turbo six speed manual is awfully fun to drive.

It can haul *** if you want to, or it can get 35 average MPG if you want to.

When I bought it in'17 it was depreciated down about 8K (I paid 15K).

Only one minor issue in 77K miles- the "license light out" indicator is lit, but the light is not out.

There is plenty of room inside (gobs of headroom), and it's easy to get in and out of.

Almost the same power to weight ratio as a 340 Duster.

You could even drive realty customers around in it.

Did I forget "Modern" Cadillacs? the STS etc? I see them too and they are fast at highway speed.

I left Mo. back in '18 for Tx. There was a "kid" maybe 25 that had opened a shop out there in the sticks and he "hotrodded" late model Stangs for the public.. He was busy all the time. He did everything even built wrecks back into fun cars.
That 86 (or was it 85?) Vette I had was fun on the curves and had decent power for that era. I thought it was a little ugly though. Those suckers are cheap now, but yea 80s era!! Only good part is many were well maintained and not abused if owned by older guy.
I'm just guessing, but a SN95 V8 Stang being FI seems like would tend to be good engine wise well into 150,000 mi. area if not abused?? Was those still 5.0 or what??
I'm old and about woreout, but I still have hotrod in my blood.
Yea I have 4 old Mopars yet. Latest build is a 64 Savoy that will get some big block.

I have never seen a modern Caddy that did not have issues!!!
true but they are fast. I think the newer caddy can give most out there a run for their money .European sedans may have it beat but...and I am talking top end highway speed. not sure what they'd do in the 1/4.

true but they are fast. I think the newer caddy can give most out there a run for their money .European sedans may have it beat but...and I am talking top end highway speed. not sure what they'd do in the 1/4.
Last time I was running top end that cop wanted to put me in jail? I explained to him I was looking to find that vibration it had about 110.

Like my 06 GT. Fun car. Not a bad car for long trips. Sounds good with Magnaflows. Gets decent gas mileage. Runs on regular gas.

726DD8E6-7531-4E01-9FDF-6A1BC4B9DBA3.jpeg

They are getting out of hand however deals do come up on the Buick V6 cars. Non intercooled (pre 86) is in a different league however they are a fun car. Fast forward to 86/87 and you can make them rip pretty easy. And it doesn't need to be Black for it to be a beast. They can in many options. It's the LC2 option you want.

It's a good car that won't match late model metal in handling or stopping but is definitely a jump from anything offered in the early era of Musclecars. Opinions will vary but if I were looking to stink up the joint with a very unique car this would be it....

JW

I left Mo. back in '18 for Tx. There was a "kid" maybe 25 that had opened a shop out there in the sticks and he "hotrodded" late model Stangs for the public.. He was busy all the time. He did everything even built wrecks back into fun cars.
That 86 (or was it 85?) Vette I had was fun on the curves and had decent power for that era. I thought it was a little ugly though. Those suckers are cheap now, but yea 80s era!! Only good part is many were well maintained and not abused if owned by older guy.
I'm just guessing, but a SN95 V8 Stang being FI seems like would tend to be good engine wise well into 150,000 mi. area if not abused?? Was those still 5.0 or what??
I'm old and about woreout, but I still have hotrod in my blood.
Yea I have 4 old Mopars yet. Latest build is a 64 Savoy that will get some big block.
I wanna see the Savoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SN95's ..the years 94, and 95 had the 5.0 Windsor pushrod engine. the 96-04 had the 4.6 "Modular" V-8 with te overhead cams. Now the "cobra" had a 4.6 with 32 valves or two cams in each head or a 4 valve per cylinder arrangement. the Cobra engine is what ya want but they blow up. i do beleive there are crate engines for them i wouldnt shy away from a cobra that needed an engine if the price was right for the body. the modular V-8 isnt like the windsor, there is only so much you can do with them you can swap cams put exhaust on it etc. most just drive em if you want to tweak mod and wrench id go with the 5.0 Pushrod windsor. If you want to drive so with the modern overhead cam setup like said crate engines available. Not worth trying to do head gaskets etc. the heads are aluminum they usually dont seal right etc.

P.S. I worked for Ford for more than a few years I used to dealer prep the SN 95s.

not much goes wrong with them and the wife drives a 6 cylinder 2001SN 95 right now. She saw it on a used car lot and had to have it. flaming red etc. the mileage was low so i told her go for it. the 6 cylinders are cheap though. Good thing about Mustangs is the aftermarket support.

Last edited:
I wanna see the Savoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I finished the body/pant other week it will go back as a sorta SS tribute with so sort of BB and 4 speed. I added SmittyBilt CJ A100 style seats (cheap) and I will leave off the rear seat. I need to haul it to the darn highway patrol guy for bonded title chit. I may let it go. I built the same kinda car back in mid 90s, it was also a slant 3 on tree car. I added a 440 4 speed. Cool ride for the street back before it was cool.

IMG_0016.JPG

IMG_0017.JPG

I finished the body/pant other week it will go back as a sorta SS tribute with so sort of BB and 4 speed. I added SmittyBilt CJ A100 style seats (cheap) and I will leave off the rear seat. I need to haul it to the darn highway patrol guy for bonded title chit. I may let it go. I built the same kinda car back in mid 90s, it was also a slant 3 on tree car. I added a 440 4 speed. Cool ride for the street back before it was cool.

View attachment 1715813820

View attachment 1715813821
"Before it was cool".............Now it's super cool...especially with a BB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You sell it you'll REGRET IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

In my humble opinion, it is really hard to beat a nice used Mustang GT. I am a Mopar guy, but a Mustang GT is great bang for the buck.

"Before it was cool".............Now it's super cool...especially with a BB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You sell it you'll REGRET IT!!!!!!!!!!!!
You are probably correct. If I had bothered to get it titled, it would have already been gone. I think one reason I have drug my feet on that, is I have never made up my mind to sell it! I'm sure, someone will say,NEVER put time and $ in such till you have title. I have bought tons of car with b/s over the decades.
I had one guy wonder by after he sold his slick 63 B and it was almost ready for topcoat and he wanted it but hanged his mid before he pulled out is wallet! I really have not determined what it is worth right now as a roller or what its value is done with whatever for engine, front end done, carpet, door panels, new windshield exhaust, etc! I admit, its getting hard to do this work anymore!

I'm a big Fox Mustang fan but yea, most are either trashed, have stupid LS swaps (which apparently adds $25k to the price...), or well sorted built cars or originals that cost. Interior got tighter inside with the 94-up SN Chassis but stiffer, better brakes and a bit heavier. I've seen some inexpensive SRT8 300's Charger and Magnums, they haul *** and 4 adults to boot. I had a Magnum R/T with SRT8 Suspension and it was a fun car until it got totaled. Nothing foreign, that's too bad, WRX/STIs are pretty fun and get decent mileage even Legacy GT's are pretty sweet.

In my humble opinion, it is really hard to beat a nice used Mustang GT. I am a Mopar guy, but a Mustang GT is great bang for the buck.
I totally agree. There are a zillion of them to choose from, but hard to find those early late model Stangs with V8 and much less a stick that is not abused and needs lots of work. But they are out there an even a good one is not expensive at all.
Lot easier to find aC4 or C5 Vette that is low mile cream puff, cheap enough, but I am not a Vette kind guy.

I totally agree. There are a zillion of them to choose from, but hard to find those early late model Stangs with V8 and much less a stick that is not abused and needs lots of work. But they are out there an even a good one is not expensive at all.
Lot easier to find aC4 or C5 Vette that is low mile cream puff, cheap enough, but I am not a Vette kind guy.
Driving a Mustang is like screwing a gay guy.........................it might feel good but you wouldn't anyone to see you!!!!

OOoops...did I say that out loud???????????:poke::rofl::rofl::thumbsup:

-
Back