Old guy wants an iPod!! Needs advice!!!

-

Popdart

Reaction score
Ok, you guys I am completely iPod ignorant . . . . I want to use my music from my computer \\:D/ in my truck, portable with ear / head phones or speakers, and connect to my stereo receiver out in the polebarn (gotta have my tunes when working on the Dart!!!! :thumleft: I would like about 1000 song storage, so probably about 4 GB?

Any other options or features on the unit would be a bonus. I don't understand all the iPods generations, 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc., or their types shuffle, mini, etc. :dontknow: I'm overwhelmed . . . TOO MANY CHOICES!!!!! Please steer me in the right direction!!

I'm thinking buying used on Ebay to keep the cost down (retired).

What do you guys got??

HELP! :notworth: lol Thanks . . . Rog

I am sure no genius on the subject, but I have two of the little shuffles. They each hold about 9 hours of music, and I use them at the gym.

I have both the ear bob things and the head set that holds the shuffle. When one needs a recharge, I just plug the other one in.

Not many people have them at the gym though, most have units as big as a cell phone, that must hold one heck of a lot of music.

here is a page to compare the different ones.. http://www.apple.com/ipod/compare-ipod-models/

jamie has an older nano. its nice and does anything she wants. my boy has an older ipod touch and that is really cool too. its all personal preference. the touch can go on the internet if ya have wifi near by which is nice because ya never know when ya may need to access the net plus the aps you can get on it make it really useful at times..

my suggestion would be to head over to the closest apple store and play with the different ones and ask a ton of questions. when you narrow down the one you want then goto ebay and buy it if its any cheaper then the store.

My son thinks he is a DJ! He will bring his Moms ipad out in the garage and play music for us. He likes the games as well. I like it! The choices are up to you. The number one thing is you are NOT thinking like an old fart. Buy an ipod! There is an adapter you can buy along with it, that will allow you to use the ipod on any car radio or radio, a electronic store will have one. Then you can play your ipod where every you want to. I would not buy anyones else old ipod on ebay, they are cheap enough now days in stores to start new. The enjoyment will out way the cost. Happy listening!

If you're interested I have one I'm willing to sell you.......
I have an 16 GB Ipod Touch you can have for a 100 bucks.....because you're a fellow member.
I bought it new about a year ago (for $299.00) and rarely used it. I'm one of those guys who keeps their music on their phone.
It's in brand new condition. I live in Berkley, Mi (near 696 & 75).
If it interests you, I could meet you in the middle.
Just let me know

Thanks for the responses, it's really not what I want, but what I need. Keep the info coming. I would have stopped at a store but there aren't any real close. Does Best Buy have anything?

Thanks Stepper I'll let you know. Let me learn a little more! lol Rog

Ok, you guys I am completely iPod ignorant . . . . I want to use my music from my computer \\:D/ in my truck, portable with ear / head phones or speakers, and connect to my stereo receiver out in the polebarn (gotta have my tunes when working on the Dart!!!! :thumleft: I would like about 1000 song storage, so probably about 4 GB?

Any other options or features on the unit would be a bonus. I don't understand all the iPods generations, 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc., or their types shuffle, mini, etc. :dontknow: I'm overwhelmed . . . TOO MANY CHOICES!!!!! Please steer me in the right direction!!

I'm thinking buying used on Ebay to keep the cost down (retired).

What do you guys got??

HELP! :notworth: lol Thanks . . . Rog
DON'T DRIVE WITH HEADPHONES OR EAR PLUGS! Get something that will either play through a preset on your radio or plug into your radio.

All I have in my 66 Valiant is a cassette player + my am I listen to.
My son said I can buy a cassette that has a wire on it that will let me play iPod music through my system in my car.
I am not updated on this YET but the way my boys say is I can down loud a bunch of music and play them threw my cassette player and hear the music threw my speakers I have now. Good thread for me to Popdart :rock:

All I have in my 66 Valiant is a cassette player + my am I listen to.
My son said I can buy a cassette that has a wire on it that will let me play iPod music through my system in my car.
I am not updated on this YET but the way my boys say is I can down loud a bunch of music and play them threw my cassette player and hear the music threw my speakers I have now. Good thread for me to Popdart :rock:

can play it right overt eh FM radio. http://www.jr.com/griffin-technology/pe/GRF_NA22042/

or the old cassette adapter http://www.crutchfield.com/p_119ICCA800/Monster-Cable-iCarPlay-Cassette-Adapter-800.html?tp=120

Popdart, You may think you want just a 1000 songs, but you'll be surprised at how quickly you will have that sucker filled up. Hell I thought I'd never fill up my 120G! And Look at me now over 240Gs of music thats 44000+ songs! Some other info. The new 4G touches (not sure about the other newest gens of ipods) will not work on the older car units or ihomes for that matter). Hope you get what you are looking for!
Cris

Thank you Joe :rock: The Monster cassette adapter for $20 bucks with warranty and tech help, I watched the Video on the site :rock:
I am not one to have a boom sounding music in my car and this will be the way for me to go. as you can see I do not want to cut any holes in Victoria
My speakers 30 watt sony'es are in the basket :glasses8:

Attachments

• i6364.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 141
  • i6365.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 132
Nope cuda65vpt . . . . I wouldn't think of headphones or such while driving. I don't even use my phone!!!!

Wow 68fishbowl, thats alot of songs!!!!!!!!! I don't think they even made 44,000 songs in the 60's!!! lmbo! I only have about 1000 on my puter, so thats about it.

Thanks memike and abodyjoe, that cassette adapter seems like the ticket to get the sound into my system.

Hey memike, back in the 60's we would have had a 8-track player, FM converter, or even a record player (45s) hanging from the dash!! Not a cassette . . . you are high tech!!! lmbo . . . Rog

Go to the online Apple store you can purchase a 32gb ipod touch for 229.00 its a refurbed unit but they warranty it as new. I received mine about 2 weeks ago and I love it. use the cassete adapter or if you get a secret audio unit, they have ipod hookup off there head unit.

If you just want songs go for a Nano or iPod classic (I would not go less than 16 gig personally), but if you feel you may also use it for e-mail or web surfing you will need an iPod touch. I would probably not recommend going used unless you know who it's coming from. Ipods do not have a battery that's easily replaceable... I have done two in iPod classics and one motherboard, but it's pretty tedious. I like apple products personally, but there are other mp3 players avalible for a lot less $$$$

Good info Robb . . . again I know very little about these players, iPod included. I don't have a present need for other features than songs. So, it doesn't have to be an "iPod" specifically, eh? Basically a mp3 player.

Thank you Joe :rock: The Monster cassette adapter for $20 bucks with warranty and tech help, I watched the Video on the site :rock:
I am not one to have a boom sounding music in my car and this will be the way for me to go. as you can see I do not want to cut any holes in Victoria
My speakers 30 watt sony'es are in the basket :glasses8:

If your cassette player has auto-reverse you might have a problem with the cassette adapter. I've had them work fine with some players & on some the player just continually switches back & forth like it's trying to reverse a cassette.

I have a 16 g mp3 player,off brand,,,,,,,,,works greatand holds lots of music.I also have a 4 g thumb drive that plugs into front usb port on stereo in my new Freightliner at work.It also works great.

i have a ipod classic that holds 3 300 hundred songs 4 gb i use it for music only
i bought a 6 gb ipod classic of ebay when i get it i will sell u my classic loaded with song if u want

Attachments

• Picture 214.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 81
I gave up since they got rid of the button that changed tracks on the 8-track player.

LMAO

i loved it when a song would end half way thru and then switch tracks and it would start up where it left off. here in southern ca. muntz was the big brand to have

-
Back