Old, odd bushing clip for throttle linkage

-

rmchrgr

Skate And Destroy
Reaction score
OK, anyone know where to get one of these bushing clips?

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj214/rmchrgr/IMG_0401_zpsf40d268e.jpg

This is for a '64 880 my friend and I are working on. This bushing snaps into a bracket that comes off the bell housing and keeps the throttle rod/kickown pivot in place. We swapped intakes from a 2bbl to 4bbl and when we went to adjust the kickdown, we found there was a lot play in the linkage. I started looking around and it turns out this little bushing was the culprit. You can see from the pic that the flange on the one side disintegrated allowing the pivot to move around.

This is the bracket where it clips into. You can see the u shaped slot where the bushing snaps into. The larger diameter rod is held in place by the clip.
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj214/rmchrgr/IMG_0403_zpsd2315cdc.jpg

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction or has a suitable fix. I tried a nylon washer and spring clip one side but it wouldn't stay. The flange and locking tabs keep it in place. It's like a little tension clip.

Sorry for the huge pics.

maybe try R.T SPECIALTIES . i think that is the name. he seems to have a lot of hardware,clips, brackets etc.

maybe try R.T SPECIALTIES . i think that is the name. he seems to have a lot of hardware,clips, brackets etc.

Didn't see a listing for it.

Anyone else? Can anyone tell me what the heck this thing is even called?

I would think nylon stock purchased from mcmaster carr, and a machinist with a mill could get you going.

I would think nylon stock purchased from mcmaster carr, and a machinist with a mill could get you going.

Funny, I know a machinist who lives down the street from me. He is also an old Mopar guy with a '65 Valiant. Just haven't seen him around recently but I've been meaning to go see if he had one around or could make one for me. I know he ditched the old rod linkage for a cable on his car.

I'd still like to know if I can find one or figure out what this thing is called though.

Sorry, I've been digging through my old books and all I can find is a diagram and instructions how to adjust the linkage. You got me interested now because my 62 Newport has similar linkage. I'll keep looking.

Sorry, I've been digging through my old books and all I can find is a diagram and instructions how to adjust the linkage. You got me interested now because my 62 Newport has similar linkage. I'll keep looking.

Thanks for looking out.

Maybe someone with a 3D printer could do one (or several) up for you. I had a member make me 2 new heater control pins for my Dart.They work great.

I'm thinking the linkage in that model doesn't have a free return slot at the throttle end. If I'm right you need to throw every bit of it in the nearest garbage can.

I'm thinking the linkage in that model doesn't have a free return slot at the throttle end. If I'm right you need to throw every bit of it in the nearest garbage can.

Not sure what you mean? There is a throttle return spring. There is a hole on the AFB throttle lever just above the stud for the rod. It attaches a spring to a bracket on the the back of the intake. The throttle lever pushes forward with a rod but there is a spring.

The only thing this little bushing does is hold a rod solid in a bracket.

Believe me, I'd love to toss the whole mechanical linkage but it's not going to happen.

Everything has a throttle return spring. Many are double springs for safety reasons. The throttle pressure linkage was changed at some year model also for safety reasons. A long slot at the throttle will allow the throttle to free return if/when the throttle pressure linkage hangs up.
Myself, my sister, and her little friend Susan were nearly ran over by a run away 60 Belvedere when we were kids.

Everything has a throttle return spring. Many are double springs for safety reasons. The throttle pressure linkage was changed at some year model also for safety reasons. A long slot at the throttle will allow the throttle to free return if/when the throttle pressure linkage hangs up.
Myself, my sister, and her little friend Susan were nearly ran over by a run away 60 Belvedere when we were kids.

I understand but frankly I'm not getting involved in changing the linkage to a cable. We did this project 'just to do it'. And probably against my better judgement, I told him I would do the project with him not realizing how little I knew about 1964 C bodies and all the odd and arcane crap that's involved with them.

I also realize as well as anyone that things should to be done 'the right way' but it ain't gonna happen here. Believe me, this car has more pressing issues with the brakes that I'm taking care of on my own volition just so he does not kill someone or himself. We'll leave it at that. My friend who owns the car is a total rookie and unfortunately he barely can boil water. I advised him up and down for not to buy this car but he did it anyway.

In regards to the bushing, I'm probably gonna wind up making something. I've searched high and low for this little part, not even knowing what the heck it's called. I just want to get this ugly P.O.S. out of my driveway.

Have you tried posting this in the c-body forum ? must be somebody there with one

Here's what I did.

Went to the hardware store and picked out a few things I thought might work. I ended up using a nylon spacer with a 3/8 i.d. and ground a channel into it to snap into the bracket like the original.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj214/rmchrgr/IMG_04092_zpsf39932e5.jpg

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj214/rmchrgr/IMG_04102_zpsbac64e53.jpg

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj214/rmchrgr/IMG_04112_zps0351b07a.jpg

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj214/rmchrgr/IMG_04132_zps83e4e4a6.jpg

It worked for the most part but after a few strokes of the pedal, it would pop out - no good.

I ended up making a 'stop' bracket for it. There's a pre-exisiting hole in the original bracket that you put a rod through to hold the pivot in place when adjusting the kickdown. I had a random bracket with a 3/8 hole in it so I cut it down and drilled a hole in it to attach it to the other bracket. I also ditched the home brew bushing and reused the old one since it was the correct dimensions and still worked as long as it doesn't fall out.

Spent way too much time on this stupid little thing.

-
Back