Old School Cup Holders

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I happened to be nosing through my favorite thread again "Bof and the car hunt" and I couldn't help but noticing the old school cup holder in the car. Of course, every dang thing the OP of that thread does is cool. So I got to thinking, and I figured the old school cup holders for older cars are probably not available anymore since most newer cars from the 80's on up usually have cup holders built into consoles and fancy plastic panels.

So I get on ebay and find these. Black Universal Car Truck Door Mount Drink Bottle Water Cup Holder Stand NEW

I don't really like that they come from overseas but cant beat the price and I notice they look awkward in the newer car with the swollen plastic door panel, but I think it might be perfect for an older steel top door classic mopar!!!

The first two pics are from my favorite thread on fabo "bof and the car hunt" and last pic is the ebay ad pic.
25.jpg
111659-8ae5add442acd010e3c3b4d88d09a83c.jpg
$_57.jpg

We have those at O'Reilly. Two sizes, small and big.

I've got one that I've had since the early 1980's.

In case y'all didn't know, Chrysler started the cupholder revolution in the mid to late 1980's.

The flagships were IIRC the Daytona/Lebaron circa 1984.

Everyone that used one flipped out.

Ironically, that was also the design of the cup holder- you pulled the bar and the spring loaded bottom support "flipped out".

Ironically, that was also the design of the cup holder- you pulled the bar and the spring loaded bottom support "flipped out".

I had an '88 Dakota with the "drawer" type cupholders. Problem was that everytime you hit a bump the drawer would pop out. Got old fast. Ended up putting a screw to hold it "in" permanently.

I've got one that I've had since the early 1980's.

In case y'all didn't know, Chrysler started the cupholder revolution in the mid to late 1980's.
WAIT- MY 65 SIGNETS HAVE CUPHOLDERS LOWER THE GLOVE BOX DOOR AND THERE THEY ARE- 2 GROOVES ABOUT 1/8TH INCH DEEP. WORK GREAT AS LONG AS YOU ARE SITTING STILL!!!!!

The flagships were IIRC the Daytona/Lebaron circa 1984.

Everyone that used one flipped out.

That kind you have to reach across if you are right handed.
I like the kind that would ride on the drive shaft tunnel.
I could get it with my right hand.
They sometimes had a weighted bean bag base

I have a floor console style that holds 2 cups,change and has storage infront with a door. I have had this thing for 20 years

Picture 3499.jpg

Picture 3500.jpg

Picture 3501.jpg

66/67 B bodies have those "place beverage here" circles in the bottoms of the glove box door.

It's the perfect height to wedge a 12 oz can between the open door and the dash pad.

The floor style consolette cup holder thingy is cool too but doesn't play well with a 3 or 4 speed shifter through the floor that all but one of my cars has.

They do work well with kids in the back seat on the rear part of the transmission tunnel

old school cup holder?? place a can of RC Cola between ya legs. ( pants required)....

still do that, but with coffee travel mug.

added pics of mine. That console has been through at least 15 cars that I've owned.

Think rubbermaid still makes them. I cut one to fit in my dd pickup. Just to hold junk. And water bottles.

I like cup holders, pretty much on everything nowadays have them, sure beats having "beer nuts".....lol.

That looks like one that's designed to sway on a motorcycle.

-
Back